America’s Unequal Economic Recovery

Go4Broke

Reaction score

51 million Americans (1 out of 3) have jobs without health care, paid vacation, or other benefits

More people are turning to gig work than ever before, but since these jobs usually don’t come with employer benefits, their proliferation could worsen inequality for millions of Americans. The number of people employed in nontraditional ways in the US rose to a record 51 million this year, an unprecedented 34 percent jump compared to 2020, according to new data from MBO Partners, a company that provides business solutions to the independent workforce and has conducted a long-running study of the group.

These types of workers — which include contract workers, people who are self-employed, temporary and on-call workers, and those who get short-term jobs through online apps or marketplaces — are now equivalent to a third of US employment. Gig work shifts the risk from employers to employees and can lead to financial volatility for those who do it, resulting in more economic and psychological stress than regular work. Most obviously, independent work doesn’t include many of the protections afforded by traditional employment. That includes things like minimum wage, overtime, paid parental leave, and employer-subsidized health care.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22651953...kers-benefits-vacation-health-care-inequality

1630679167130.png

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score

51 million Americans (1 out of 3) have jobs without health care, paid vacation, or other benefits

Doesn’t this describe just about every part time or self-employed worker?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Broke is finally seeing that all these wealthy billionaires that support horrible Dem policies are only in it for themselves. Maybe all hope is not completely lost with some who struggle with some basic concepts. Safe bet that Broke isn't remotely aware that almost all of these folks are hardcore Dem deep pocket supporters.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Doesn’t this describe just about every part time or self-employed worker?
My wife was a self-employed small business owner when I met her and she gleefully tells all of our friends that she married me for my state government worker insurance. I laughed the first 20 or 30 times but after 17+ years? That kinda talk can be tough on a man's self confidence, know what I mean?

Spoofin

Reaction score
My wife was a self-employed small business owner when I met her and she gleefully tells all of our friends that she married me for my state government worker insurance. I laughed the first 20 or 30 times but after 17+ years? That kinda talk can be tough on a man's self confidence, know what I mean?
Hey - could be worse. My wife tells me she doesn’t know why she married me 🤷‍♂️

Wally

Reaction score

She can't tell them it was for your extra long tongue...
😎

My wife says she married me because I tricked her with a bait and switch.
😯😯😯

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
Move that chart back 70 years and the trend looks very different. Sharp decline in poverty from 1900 to the great society and then flatline. Success!
Imagine how high the poverty rate would be without Social Security. Continuous climb as the population ages.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
We need to find a way to pay grub hub delivery workers more! They can’t live on that wage.
I"m sure it's not the norm all across the country but virtually every GrubHub, UberEats, DoorDash driver I've ever talked to uses this as a secondary part-time gig to supplement their normal job. But hey, outrage is good too

Spoofin

Reaction score
Righties are royally pissed off they are paying more for food and its going to those trash servants...
The problem, Wally, is that this restaurant isn’t the only place that has raised their prices. What you and Broke don’t seem capable of grasping is everyone has. Those “servant’s” food cost more no matter where they buy it. So does everything they buy. Simple minds see this post and can’t grasp that overall nothing is better for those “servants”. I linked you a Bloomberg study. It’s way too logical for you and Broke to get tho.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

MplsGopher

Reaction score
People's hyper-sensitivity to price is a fundamental reason why the idealism behind capitalism and markets fails to achieve anything close to optimality.

People are just too fking stupid to pay the good money, that it takes, for quality.

Wally

Reaction score
Simple minds see this post and can’t grasp that overall nothing is better for those “servants”.
Yea they were better off without health insurance.
Spoof world..

FormerFatOL

Reaction score
Righties are royally pissed off they are paying more for food and its going to those trash servants...

Real wages (adjusted for inflation) have been declining. Let's hope that reverses and gets back on track, but anything else you hear is just spin.

1631980228388.png

Wally

Reaction score
Real wages (adjusted for inflation) have been declining. Let's hope that reverses and gets back on track, but anything else you hear is just spin.

Pretty much all those gains in "real" wages vs inflation went to the top 5%, everyone else had little to no gains.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Pretty much all those gains in "real" wages vs inflation went to the top 5%, everyone else had little to no gains.
More inaccurate BS. Just admit you are over your head on this topic and were wrong. How many times you have to be proved wrong before you get there and just stop making sh!t up? Honestly.
- There may not be a time in our life where low wage workers have had bigger increases than right now. Just look at the sign hanging on virtually every business as you drive down the road. My kids work at restaurants and are pulling in $17-$18/hour.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
South Dakota is leading the country in pandemic economic recovery. No surprise there.

Not unpredictability, Republican run states are fairing much better than Democrat run states. The map makes this very apparent.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Yea they were better off without health insurance.
Spoof world..
Wait a second, I thought Obamacare fixed all that. Could it be that some people whose jobs don’t provide healthcare, like part-time jobs, choose not to buy Obamacare insurance?

And, who says that part-time workers aren’t getting healthcare from a spouse’s job benefits?

Just b/c a “job” doesn’t offer benefits, doesn’t mean that person doesn’t have healthcare.

Top Bottom