America’s Unequal Economic Recovery

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
BTW, I am all for promoting and assisting those that show promise, willingness to learn, humility, and situational adversity - family unit, illness etc. Most of us received help on the way and maybe a little luck with mentors and contacts so we should all be humble. OTOH, the problems of those that don’t care, are afflicted with inability to delay gratification, or want to promote equal outcomes at expense of others I have little time for.

There is a lot we could fix if we discussed rationally without all the mudslinging and accusatory politics.

STPGopher

Reaction score

STPGopher

Reaction score
And some was not.
I didn't read deeply. Some get bent out of shape about missing childhood. I don't agree totally with that. I worked at that age. I thought it instilled many great lessons and opened many doors. Just have to learn balance.

Spoofin

Reaction score
I didn't read deeply. Some get bent out of shape about missing childhood. I don't agree totally with that. I worked at that age. I thought it instilled many great lessons and opened many doors. Just have to learn balance.
And a kid working hard and saving for something he wants should not be criticized in any way. That Dad should be proud. The others in that story should be ashamed.

Wally

Reaction score
Meanwhile, people have issues with a 14-year old voluntarily working hard to save up for a car.

Stating an opinion is now verboten?

I started working at 12, worked about 9 hours every Saturday at my grandma's restaurant bussing tables and washing dishes. Was it worth it? Who knows.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Stating an opinion is now verboten?
Commenting on someone’s opinion is now verboten? I was under the impression that we did that on here from time to time 🤷‍♂️

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Of course the pompous arse that pumps posts provides no actual data to support his supposition, just an opinion, but sure glad he prominently has his PHD listed on twitter, what an insecure half baked academic.

Is he a family relation per chance?

Go4Broke

Reaction score

Steve Ballmer Becomes Ninth Member of the $100 Billion Club​

Steve Ballmer, the former chief executive officer of Microsoft Corp., has a net worth of more than $100 billion, making him the ninth person in the world to reach that lofty plateau. Oracle Corp. founder Larry Ellison fell just short of making it an even 10, ending Wednesday with a fortune of $98.6 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Together, the nine members of the club -- along with Ellison -- have added about $245 billion to their fortunes since the start of the year and are now collectively worth $1.36 trillion. In addition to being mostly technology chiefs, the group is also largely American, with French luxury goods mogul Bernard Arnault the only exception.

1625756198356.png
While the stock rally has boosted the fortunes of the world’s richest, it’s also renewed scrutiny of wealth inequality and taxes. Using leaked confidential tax return data, news outlet ProPublica reported last month that Bezos, Elon Musk and other top billionaires had paid little to no income tax in some years, leading to calls from Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, and others to reexamine the tax code.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-becomes-ninth-member-of-the-100-billion-club

Spoofin

Reaction score
Congrats to Steve. Well Done! Not surprising 90% are Americans - the land of opportunity!

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Grandpa Joe should take it up with his closest buddies; Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg, Buffett, et al who are all blue as hell. I'm sure those folks will be receptive to their guy Joe hitting them up for a few extra bucks

Section2

Reaction score
Just imagine what we could do with $13 billion! Well, almost nothing, but those 10 guys would be worse off!
FYI, that George Orwell quote would more accurately describe Cuba, not the US, not quite yet anyway.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Just imagine what we could do with $13 billion! Well, almost nothing, but those 10 guys would be worse off!
FYI, that George Orwell quote would more accurately describe Cuba, not the US, not quite yet anyway.
2 years of CC free to every student in America is "almost nothing?"

Spoofin

Reaction score
Of course all those people made it big during the pandemic; they are blue supporters down the line for the most
Who would have ever thought that those with more money will make more money when the market goes up 🤷‍♂️

bga1

Reaction score
Yep. The Democrat party is the party of Big Corporations- the Big Corps offer them power and the Dems give them what they ask for. Big Pharma got their vaccines. Walmart, Target and Amazon got the damage done to main street small businesses they wanted- lessening long term competition.

bga1

Reaction score

Steve Ballmer Becomes Ninth Member of the $100 Billion Club​

Steve Ballmer, the former chief executive officer of Microsoft Corp., has a net worth of more than $100 billion, making him the ninth person in the world to reach that lofty plateau. Oracle Corp. founder Larry Ellison fell just short of making it an even 10, ending Wednesday with a fortune of $98.6 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Together, the nine members of the club -- along with Ellison -- have added about $245 billion to their fortunes since the start of the year and are now collectively worth $1.36 trillion. In addition to being mostly technology chiefs, the group is also largely American, with French luxury goods mogul Bernard Arnault the only exception.

View attachment 13276
While the stock rally has boosted the fortunes of the world’s richest, it’s also renewed scrutiny of wealth inequality and taxes. Using leaked confidential tax return data, news outlet ProPublica reported last month that Bezos, Elon Musk and other top billionaires had paid little to no income tax in some years, leading to calls from Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, and others to reexamine the tax code.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-becomes-ninth-member-of-the-100-billion-club
The changes they make in the tax code will do nothing to the above list. They still will pay in very little. They will avoid it at all cost. Small business people will be damaged the most. The guys who build their businesses over years and want to sell them will get hammered. Bezos? He will pay very little. None of these guys think that paying into the government is a good investment or their duty.

Top Bottom