Amelia Rayno blogs on Andre Hollins and Gophers' uptempo play

Smith expects junior college transfer Julian Welch to be healed from a turned ankle in time for Monday’s exhibition against Augustana College. With the team’s poor 1-for-7 shooting from three-point range, Welch’s outside touch could be valuable, but Smith isn’t automatically tossing him into the starting point role – in fact, he implied that he could be injecting Welch into the competition for shooting guard instead.

“I thought [Hollins] was pretty impressive tonight -- I said there was a battle going on there at point guard and it’s unfortunate that Julian turned his ankle, but that’s the way it goes,” Smith said. “(Julian) will earn the time that he plays, if his ankle’s fine and he’s playing well. He’ll play a lot. Because he can play the 2 also.”

**With a solid duo down low and solid competition at the 2 & 3 spots I am very optimistic for this season.

Smith expects junior college transfer Julian Welch to be healed from a turned ankle in time for Monday’s exhibition against Augustana College. With the team’s poor 1-for-7 shooting from three-point range, Welch’s outside touch could be valuable, but Smith isn’t automatically tossing him into the starting point role – in fact, he implied that he could be injecting Welch into the competition for shooting guard instead.

“I thought [Hollins] was pretty impressive tonight -- I said there was a battle going on there at point guard and it’s unfortunate that Julian turned his ankle, but that’s the way it goes,” Smith said. “(Julian) will earn the time that he plays, if his ankle’s fine and he’s playing well. He’ll play a lot. Because he can play the 2 also.”

**With a solid duo down low and solid competition at the 2 & 3 spots I am very optimistic for this season.

I like this a lot. Coleman and Hollins seem like small 3's to me at this point. We need another ball handler/ shooter in the lineup and a Hollins/ Welch combo (if he is the shooter Tubby says he is) would give us the outside shooting we need to have a better offense.

'uptempo' to tubby is having Rodney hold the ball for 4 seconds instead of 5 before passing back to the point.

why didn't they go 'uptempo' last year? ex: nolen, rodney, trevor, hollins... and hoff bolting to the corner for kick-out 3's..

'uptempo' to tubby is having Rodney hold the ball for 4 seconds instead of 5 before passing back to the point.

why didn't they go 'uptempo' last year? ex: nolen, rodney, trevor, hollins... and hoff bolting to the corner for kick-out 3's..

lol

I would like to see Andre and Welch on the floor together.

Top Bottom