Amelia: Pitino will likely take a hard look at staff changes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Tough decisions ahead. Beyond the fate of Dorsey, Mason and McBrayer, the Gophers have several other things up in the air. Pitino is expected to keep his job in part because his buyout -- over $7 million -- is so elevated. But he'll likely take a hard look at his staff to consider whether he wants to make any changes there. I don't have any indication that any players will think about transferring, but that is always a possibility after a season like this one has been. Charles Buggs, on the other end of the spectrum, will be graduating and have the option to come back or move on.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-postgame-the-season-ends-in-indy/371600381/

Go Gophers!!

"likely" look at his staff - based on what?

Amelia will "Likely" be on her 4th or 5th whiskey of the evening by the time I post this.

"likely" look at his staff - based on what?

Amelia will "Likely" be on her 4th or 5th whiskey of the evening by the time I post this.
X2 There was nothing to indicate that is the case. She just made it up. Terrible job she likely will be on the hot seat next season with her poor reporting.

This is a no brainer, they lost a lot with McHale. Need one more experienced assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just Amelia speculating even though she decided to use the word "likely." With that being said, I would like it if we had at least one really experienced assistant. I thought it would have been a good time to bring in an experienced assistant when McHale left. Promoting the basketball operations guy was not a great decision in my opinion. Inexperienced head coach with inexperienced staff, replaces most experienced assistant with a guy who has never been an assistant coach before. Not exactly ideal.

This is just Amelia speculating even though she decided to use the word "likely." With that being said, I would like it if we had at least one really experienced assistant. I thought it would have been a good time to bring in an experienced assistant when McHale left. Promoting the basketball operations guy was not a great decision in my opinion. Inexperienced head coach with inexperienced staff, replaces most experienced assistant with a guy who has never been an assistant coach before. Not exactly ideal.

Except that's not what happened. Pomeday was an assistant coach at Oregon St. for 6 years before he came here.

Pomeday was an assistant at Oregon State for 6 years. It's not like this is his first coaching gig. That said, he does seem like the most replaceable on the staff.

we need someone who can coach defense and has some type of defensive scheme that doesn't rely on opposing teams missing lots of wide open shots...because at this level only Gophers miss lots of wide open shots.

pomeday was an assistant at oregon state for a number of years. but i do agree with you otherwise.

My bad on Pomeday. Thought he hadn't been a coach since he was our director of operations guy. I'm guessing he was a lowly assistant when Michelle Obama's bro was running the Oregon State program into the ground. Still wish we would have hired a veteran assistant with perhaps some midmajor/lower level head coaching experience.

NM

They need 2 things if they are going to get a different coach.

1. Defensive emphasis
2. Recruiting prowess

"If the coach isn't the problem and the players aren't the problem, then it must be the assistants."

Maybe we need a contract with a different shoe maker or filter the air in the arena better.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1. Defensive emphasis
2. Recruiting prowess
+1

1. Defensive emphasis
2. Recruiting prowess

We do have good recruiting prowess among the other assistants, and the recruiting classes have been pretty good. I'd be satisfied with a technical expert coach who loves to teach defense, and if he can recruit a little, great.

"If the coach isn't the problem and the players aren't the problem, then it must be the assistants."

Maybe we need a contract with a different shoe maker or filter the air in the arena better.

Finally someone who gets it!!!

We do have good recruiting prowess among the other assistants, and the recruiting classes have been pretty good. I'd be satisfied with a technical expert coach who loves to teach defense, and if he can recruit a little, great.

You can't have too many car salesmen! We could use someone who can recruit in an area where we don't have as much influence to get recruits to come here. Someone who has inroads in Southern California or Minnesota would be good.

I would be shocked if Pitino replaces any assistants- after this season this program needs stability in as many avenues as it can find, there is nothing that shows that any of his assistants were doing a bad job, and there is no reason to believe that any "home run hitter" assistants out there would have any desire to come to this program right now.

I am thankful that the season is over and I don't have any urge to follow this historically bad team anymore.

I am also thankful that the season is over so that I don't have to put up with mildly dishonest Hot Reporter Takes that passively mock and belittle the fanbase and the team from Amelia "Go Tar Heels!" Rayno.

Except that's not what happened. Pomeday was an assistant coach at Oregon St. for 6 years before he came here.

A terrible staff that was only good at recruiting. Could not teach D or develop players. Team was instantly better last year with the new staff.

You can't have too many car salesmen! We could use someone who can recruit in an area where we don't have as much influence to get recruits to come here. Someone who has inroads in Southern California or Minnesota would be good.

Ben Johnson is out MN guy. From all accounts, very well liked.

Hire Gary Trent and pay him whatever he wants if he thinks he can recruit the kids from Apple Valley

Maybe the venerable ball-line defense. :cool02:

Ben Johnson our Instate guy, Kimani Young has inroads in the NE, mostly NYC. It be nice to find a strong defensive coach, just about every assistant coach in a major conference should have recruiting inroads somewhere

Hire Gary Trent and pay him whatever he wants if he thinks he can recruit the kids from Apple Valley

The Danny Manning strategy. If it gets Trent Jr and Tre Jones I am all for it. The Shaq of the MAC could probably do wonders for our big men. While were at it does Kevin McHale want to work pro bono

The Danny Manning strategy. If it gets Trent Jr and Tre Jones I am all for it. The Shaq of the MAC could probably do wonders for our big men. While were at it does Kevin McHale want to work pro bono

McHale would be a fun hire if he's bored :)

Top Bottom