Amazing Stat

Some guy

Reaction score
Gophers have been to bowl games in 14 of the last 18 seasons.

And 12 of the 14 have been the Toilet Bowl!

And we made it to one last year with a losing record! Amazing!

That one is less awe inspiring, but considering the doom and gloom I was surprised to count them up today.

I won't do the math, but in the last 18 years...who has been to more bowls?

Sun bowl twice is a good bowl.
Holiday Bowl is a decent bowl.

Really salty we never made the Alamo

Yeah I was being a little sarcastic, but we haven't made a bowl game that makes a significant impact on a program for a long time. I'm glad with our bowl win this season, so I'd be happy with this kind of outcome every season.

Some guy, it's a fair stat to post. Didn't mean to jump on you...

Yeah I was being a little sarcastic, but we haven't made a bowl game that makes a significant impact on a program for a long time. I'm glad with our bowl win this season, so I'd be happy with this kind of outcome every season.

I would argue that the Citrus Bowl was pretty impactful.. just needed to follow up and build on it.

Gophers have been to bowl games in 14 of the last 18 seasons.
What's our record in those games? Better than B1G average?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's our record in those games? Better than B1G average?

Not sure on big ten but gophers are 5-9.
I'm more curious in the last 18 years who has been to more bowls than 14

Not sure on big ten but gophers are 5-9.
I'm more curious in the last 18 years who has been to more bowls than 14
Off the top of my head, I would say:

Some Ohio State University
Wisconsin
Michigan
Iowa
Michigan State

but beyond them, nobody.

The program has never been as bad as people think. It has actually been consistently average. The problems is no coach has gotten it over the hump. Look at the excitement the Citrus Bowl generated. If a coach could actually get to, & win, the Big Ten Championship, the narrative would change significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, I would say:

Some Ohio State University
Wisconsin
Michigan
Iowa
Michigan State

but beyond them, nobody.

Michigan has missed 3
Ohio state has missed 1
Wisconsin has missed 1
Iowa has missed 4 so equal to us
Michigan state has missed 6 (2 more than us)

Here's a stat I think is amazing outside of the bowl games.

Of the last 13 losses to Wisconsin, the two closest games point wise were played in 08 and 09 with Brewster as the coach. They lost both of those games by 3.

Brewster had a halftime lead against Wisconsin each game of the first 3 years he was here, including a 14 point lead in 08. The Gophers have had a halftime lead against Wisconsin in 5 of the last 10 games and blew all of them.

Here's a stat I think is amazing outside of the bowl games.

Of the last 13 losses to Wisconsin, the two closest games point wise were played in 08 and 09 with Brewster as the coach. They lost both of those games by 3.

Brewster had a halftime lead against Wisconsin each game of the first 3 years he was here, including a 14 point lead in 08. The Gophers have had a halftime lead against Wisconsin in 5 of the last 10 games and blew all of them.

It is amazing to think what happens in gopher history of rather than a pick 6 against Northwestern, decker catches the ball. We kick a FG, win. Are top 10.

Brewster never quits the spread.
We don't see any Jed Fisch threads ever.
Brewster merely goes down as a below average coach instead of the spawn of Satan.

Michigan has missed 3
Ohio state has missed 1
Wisconsin has missed 1

Iowa hasn't even won one since 2010 :(

Michigan has missed 3
Ohio state has missed 1
Wisconsin has missed 1

This is the kind of thing Coyle and our marketing dept have to sell. Need to start shifting the narrative about the program. I think Claeys could have done it by winning more. He's not here, so build on the momentum. It's going to take a special coach to come in and rally the players and recruits, as well as the public and media.

Whoever it is can't take the Jerry approach about having to rebuild - there is too much here. They cant take the Brewster approach - too much bluster for MN.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but will require better PR by new coach and marketing team than we have seen in past few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom