Amazing how Joel picked Tim over Pelini, Kiffen, Skip Holtz, and Charlie Strong

I'm not upset about not going with Kiffen.

It is amazing how he picked Jerry Kill over anyone. It is amazing that Joel Maturi still is the A.D. at Minnesota after waiting so long to fire Mason as recruiting drifted to the point of no return, the "I am not going to go there" Dan Monson fiasco, choosing Brewster over others, waiting far too long to give Brewster the extension that everyone knew was coming (killing a year of recruiting), the entire fiasco of last fall with the leaked firing of Brewster if he lost to Purdue, then the complete circus of a coaching search that followed.

Lane Kiffin has set back TN football for a few years with all of the violations he accrued there, Pelini was in danger of getting run out of Nebraska, Skip has done an OK job at USF so far,but they got hammered by Pitt the other night and the jury is still out on Strong at Louisville.

None of your examples are earthshatteringly successful to this point. Also, I don't think the jobs at USC, TN and Nebraska are in the same cesspool as Minnesota.

I think Pelini is a great coach, but he's got Dr. Tom watching his back. He may have spun into orbit here.

But I get your point.

Lane Kiffin has set back TN football for a few years with all of the violations he accrued there, Pelini was in danger of getting run out of Nebraska, Skip has done an OK job at USF so far,but they got hammered by Pitt the other night and the jury is still out on Strong at Louisville.

None of your examples are earthshatteringly successful to this point. Also, I don't think the jobs at USC, TN and Nebraska are in the same cesspool as Minnesota.

Compared to Brew they are. Point is, a lot of guys wanted this gig heading into the new stadium. Amazing how we ended up with the TE coach from an NFL team.

Yes Maturi is the problem, its not a coincidence that the football, basketball and hockey programs have all went to crap on his "watch." He is a dink in every sense.

He is a bean counter, politically correct policy guy and cheerleader. Why do you suppose we have all the stupid promo's on gameday?

He is not an AD with a vision.

Compared to Brew they are. Point is, a lot of guys wanted this gig heading into the new stadium. Amazing how we ended up with the TE coach from an NFL team.

There was a lot of rumors at the time but there is not one shred of proof that anyone of those guys would have actually taken the Gopher's job. During both coaching searches Maturi has never provided any of the details about what happened during the interviews. For example, Maturi interviewed Bobby Stoops before he hired Mason. Does anyone think there was a chance in hell that Stoops would ever have come to Minnesota?

The Gophers have not won squat in over 40 years. Everyone in college football knows that the people who ran the U during during those years (President and Board of Regents) really didn't care about having a big time football program and they were never going to commit the necessary resources for one. That attitude has been changing very slowly. And it is not just the money. Every college coach knows the Vikings own Minnesota and have since Bud Grand took over in 1967. Why would they ever choose Minnesota over an area of the country where college football is king?

Over the years AD's have been reduced to begging successful coaches to consider the Minnesota job. We only got lucky with Mason because his name was mud in Kansas after he took the Georgia job and then changed his mind. He needed to get out of Kansas and he looked at Minnesota as his ticket to the OSU job or another successful Big 10 program. There is a reason why Jerry Kill is our coach and it has much more to do with who was NOT interested in Minnesota rather than anything Kill brought to the table.

I bet a lot of coaches were interested until they saw the $$$ we were offering.

I bet a lot of coaches were interested until they saw the $$$ we were offering.

At Minnesota the AD has a budget and his superiors expect him to live within it. End of story.

There was a lot of rumors at the time but there is not one shred of proof that anyone of those guys would have actually taken the Gopher's job. During both coaching searches Maturi has never provided any of the details about what happened during the interviews. For example, Maturi interviewed Bobby Stoops before he hired Mason. Does anyone think there was a chance in hell that Stoops would ever have come to Minnesota?

The Gophers have not won squat in over 40 years. Everyone in college football knows that the people who ran the U during during those years (President and Board of Regents) really didn't care about having a big time football program and they were never going to commit the necessary resources for one. That attitude has been changing very slowly. And it is not just the money. Every college coach knows the Vikings own Minnesota and have since Bud Grand took over in 1967. Why would they ever choose Minnesota over an area of the country where college football is king?

Over the years AD's have been reduced to begging successful coaches to consider the Minnesota job. We only got lucky with Mason because his name was mud in Kansas after he took the Georgia job and then changed his mind. He needed to get out of Kansas and he looked at Minnesota as his ticket to the OSU job or another successful Big 10 program. There is a reason why Jerry Kill is our coach and it has much more to do with who was NOT interested in Minnesota rather than anything Kill brought to the table.

Agreed with some of the above (Maturi did not hire Mason), with the exception that the new stadium open doors and ears that would have otherwise been closed (and are now closed again). We had a chance, and ended up with the Broncos TE coach.

He is a bean counter, politically correct policy guy and cheerleader. Why do you suppose we have all the stupid promo's on gameday?

He is not an AD with a vision.

Given what the situation when they sought a new AD, isn't what Maturi what the administration was looking for at some level. It was a mess. That's not excusing his performance.

Top Bottom