all this "who are we going to play if not collado" raises an interesting question

i'm batman

Reaction score
all this "who are we going to play if not collado" raises an interesting question

if the only viable cornerbacks we have are sherels, traye and collado, then who is going to be playing cornerback next year?

sherels is gone, traye is gone. that leaves collado and carter. are we going to be comfortable with collado and carter as our main line of pass defense?

i mean, i can't even think of who would be the nickle.

johnny johnson? kerry lewis? kenny watkins?

i don't think johnson has played a single down outside of special teams, and i have always thought that lewis and watkins were going to be safeties. but either way, let's get them in and get them some PT now with sherels out and collado having problems covering his man.

Next year we will need to replace a lot on defense. The cb situation looks especially tricky. Hopefully there is a juco or two out there who can get into school. It is a little concerning that we find ourselves in this postion regarding cbs.

I think Carter will continue to get more and more spot PT throughout the year, hes been playing plenty of STs also, staff is bringing him along slowly like the rest of the newbies. I think he will be ready to be a starter by the beginning of next year with a year of strength & conditioning under his belt and a spring ball.

CB is a position I would like to see the Gophers add a solid JUCO player.

I'm a big Kerry Lewis fan. That said, you're absolutely right. There are going to be a lot of holes to fill on the team next year, not just Decker.

I'm a big Kerry Lewis fan. That said, you're absolutely right. There are going to be a lot of holes to fill on the team next year, not just Decker.

prof, do they have Lewis at CB or S? you said you're a big KL fan, is that from what you saw at the scrimmage, or have you been able to see him in action elsewhere?

Mostly it's based on what I saw from him in high school. I think Lewis could play either, but corners are much harder to find and develop, so I hope that's what they are doing with him. I don't recall his speed off the top of my head, but he has fantastic ball skills.

Mostly it's based on what I saw from him in high school. I think Lewis could play either, but corners are much harder to find and develop, so I hope that's what they are doing with him. I don't recall his speed off the top of my head, but he has fantastic ball skills.

His profile on the team web site says "he has been timed at 4.5 in the forty". "Has been timed..." does not sound good to me; must be why he was projected by many as a safety, but at 5ft 9, that's not a very big safety.

Gophs have two D-Back commits for next year that I presume are corners, but yes, our depth is seriously lacking.

And I hope people aren't forgetting about Traye Simmons, who hasn't exactly been stellar. He'll break up a pass here and there, but he's been beat his fair share. And his effort on Best's last touchdown Saturday was a disgrace (backpedaling into the end zone!)

We should see this week as Northwestern will use 4 and 5 receiver sets often. I sure hope Sherrel is healthy for this game. We do not want Theret and Collado playing man coverage on the slot receiver all day. I suspect Carter and Dandridge will play a lot more.

Top Bottom