All Things Trump /GOP Coup

cncmin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
18,217
Reaction score
2,417
Points
113
I thought they had economic anxiety?
One of the easiest things con men do is con gullible fools of their wealth. We are seeing this happen on a massive scale right in front of our eyes, not only from Trump and his family, but the Republican Party as a whole anymore. It's all about using their supporters as pawns to enrich themselves and increase their own power toward their own authoritarianism, it has zero to do with those people-pawns themselves. They're being used, nothing more. Anti-American. Disgusting.
 

LesBolstad

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
5,667
Reaction score
1,479
Points
113
One of the easiest things con men do is con gullible fools of their wealth. We are seeing this happen on a massive scale right in front of our eyes, not only from Trump and his family, but the Republican Party as a whole anymore. It's all about using their supporters as pawns to enrich themselves and increase their own power toward their own authoritarianism, it has zero to do with those people-pawns themselves. They're being used, nothing more. Anti-American. Disgusting.

Where's the March 4 invastion, CRINGY?
 


Go4Broke

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
5,442
Reaction score
1,729
Points
113
'Seconds mattered': In Capitol under siege, DC National Guard waited 3 hours for Pentagon approval


Snopes: Did Trump Defense Secretary ‘Disarm’ DC National Guard Before Insurrection?

Claim


On Jan. 4, 2021, two days before Trump supporters rioted in the U.S. Capitol, former acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller issued a memo that "disarmed" D.C. National Guard.

The document purportedly written by a Trump appointee did not order any person or entity to take away weapons from Guard members. Rather, it required McCarthy, who oversees the DCNG, to request approval from the defense secretary in order for Guard members to use weapons, helmets, body armor or riot control agents — as well as to share equipment with other law-enforcement agencies — during the preplanned gatherings of Trump supporters on Jan. 5 and Jan. 6.

Origin

Why no rating on this article? This is a trending topic but has not yet been rated by Snopes for reasons we’ll outline below.

To recap our analysis so far, the claim stemmed, in part, from reporting by Broadwater, a New York Times journalist, who said Miller issued a memo that prohibited DCNG from using weapons during the upcoming pro-Trump events without his approval first.

While no evidence exists to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the document displayed in the tweet, we sought to independently verify its authenticity. Citing the Freedom of Information Act, Snopes on Feb. 3 submitted a request for a copy of the Jan. 4 record from record-keeping centers within the National Guard and Department of Defense. The agencies have not yet fulfilled that request.

Additionally, we reached out to Broadwater to learn where, how, or under what circumstances he obtained the document. He told us “it was a leak,” or that an anonymous person or group within government or law-enforcement released the document to The New York Times.


1614889428582.png
Any time we would employ troops and guardsmen in the city, you had to go through a rigorous process. As you recall, there were events in the summer that got a lot of attention, and that was part of this,” William J. Walker, the DCNG’s commanding general, said in an interview with The Washington Post, which also reported on the Jan. 4 memo from Miller. Walker was referring to the guidelines (like those in the memo) that required the highest-level approval for the Guard to fully launch into law-enforcement mode.

As a result of such restrictions, Walker told The Washington Post that when he received a panicked phone call from Capitol Hill Police about the extremists preparing to break into the Capitol on Jan. 6 (which occurred around 1:50 p.m., per the defense department’s timeline) he could not immediately deploy Guard members to help. He instead needed to wait for approval from McCarthy, who then waited for an answer from Miller. At 3 p.m, Miller approved full activation of the DCNG (1,100 members) to help district and Capitol Hill police and directed those troops to secure the Capitol, the department’s timeline showed.

Response

In sum, a reputable news outlet and a New York Times journalist corroborated the claim that Miller issued a Jan. 4 memo that required Guard leaders to seek prior approval before using weapons during the pro-Trump protests.
It was an inaccurate portrayal of that purported order to claim that the Trump appointee “disarmed” — or took weapons away from — Guard members before the demonstrations, like The National Memo alleged.

However, until federal agencies fulfill our FOIA request for the document in question, we cannot authoritatively rate this claim with a traditional Snopes rating. If we receive more information, we will update this post.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/national-guard-capitol-riot/
 
Last edited:

Go4Broke

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
5,442
Reaction score
1,729
Points
113
Federal Investigators are Examining Communications between US Lawmakers and Capitol Insurrectionists

Federal investigators are examining records of communications between members of Congress and the pro-Trump mob that attacked the US Capitol,
as the investigation moves closer to exploring whether lawmakers wittingly or unwittingly helped the insurrectionists, according to a US official briefed on the matter.

Justice Department officials have assigned more than two dozen prosecutors, including some from outside Washington, to delve into more complex questions, including possible funding of insurrectionists and whether political figures, including lawmakers and staff, aided the attack. The data gathered so far includes indications of contact with lawmakers in the days around January 6, as well as communications between alleged rioters discussing their associations with members of Congress, the official said.

Law enforcement officials say one of the first steps taken after the insurrection was to seek cell phone tower data to try to identify people at the Capitol that day, a tactic allowed under existing law. That was necessary, the officials say, because among the multiple failures that day was the US Capitol Police allowing the hundreds of people who had attacked the building to leave without arrest.

Investigators also have Capitol Police security footage that Democrats want examined to see if any members gave tours to riot participants in advance of January 6. Democrats have accused unnamed Republicans of providing rallygoers access, suggesting they were surveillance opportunities ahead of the riot.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/politics/capitol-riot-investigation-lawmakers/index.html
 


















justthefacts

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2010
Messages
14,110
Reaction score
4,605
Points
113
kfTrnHg.png


 

Go4Broke

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 5, 2010
Messages
5,442
Reaction score
1,729
Points
113

Trump's last defense secretary blames Trump for Capitol riot​

Newsroom

CNN's Andrew McCabe reacts to former acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller, who was in the office during the US Capitol riot, saying that he sees "cause and effect" between former President Donald Trump's speech and the insurrection on January 6th, 2021.

 







Section2

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
49,219
Reaction score
3,712
Points
113
WaPo makes so many mistakes that it’s hard to tell which correction goes with what story. And 100% of those “mistakes” go in the same direction. Democracy dies in darkness.
 

saintpaulguy

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
9,372
Reaction score
4,090
Points
113
The Post published all of Trump's call with the Sec of State of GA. The idea they are hiding something or trying to mislead is really unlikely. The mistake was made on a recording they didn't have a recording of. They gave everyone the raw audio of the Jan 2 call--anyone can fact check it. People hiding things don't do that.
 

Spoofin

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 11, 2013
Messages
20,810
Reaction score
5,123
Points
113
WaPo makes so many mistakes that it’s hard to tell which correction goes with what story. And 100% of those “mistakes” go in the same direction. Democracy dies in darkness.
WaPo caters to its audience. It is no different than Fox News. No worse, but no better.
 

cncmin

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
18,217
Reaction score
2,417
Points
113
WaPo makes so many mistakes that it’s hard to tell which correction goes with what story. And 100% of those “mistakes” go in the same direction. Democracy dies in darkness.
This is total bunk, stop with this garbage. The two papers least likely to make gross errors in this country are, hands-down, the NYT and WaPo, who coincidentally also hire top-tier journalists with strong access to sources across our government. You are free not to like them given their liberal-slanted editorial pages (notably, conservatives are also employed by both), but they are certainly among the very best sources of actual, high-quality news in this country, if not THE two best. And in the rare occasion either of these two papers make mistakes, they own up to them and correct them.
 





Top Bottom