All Things "Top 5" Thread (Movies, TV Shows, Cities, Countries, Actors, Beers, Restaurants, Athletes, Sporting Events etc.)

Those don't start with "The ____"

Good catch. In that case the only one I would say is probably deserving, The Carter Family.

Sort of some debate on Karen & Richard, as officially they were named "Carpenters" but I have always heard them referred to with "The _".

Good catch. In that case the only one I would say is probably deserving, The Carter Family.

Sort of some debate on Karen & Richard, as officially they were named "Carpenters" but I have always heard them referred to with "The _".
Yes, WAG is correct--try to keep up Ope ;)

I really should have been even more specific...Top 5 "The C__ bands with one syllable in their name". I vacillated on The Carpenters, but also had The Crystals (And Then He Kissed Me) and The Contours (Do You Love Me?) in the conversation, but in the end I just went with the one syllable options.

I've probably said this before, but if I see Sam Rockwell's in a movie, I'm watching that movie, based upon his performance here.
I did that with a little known movie Rockwell was in called "Laggies". It paid off, worthwhile IMO, with Kiera Knightly & Chloe Grace Maretz.

Yes, WAG is correct--try to keep up Ope ;)

I really should have been even more specific...Top 5 "The C__ bands with one syllable in their name". I vacillated on The Carpenters, but also had The Crystals (And Then He Kissed Me) and The Contours (Do You Love Me?) in the conversation, but in the end I just went with the one syllable options.
The Cowsills.

Top 5 Favorite Actors/Actresses who Never Won an Oscar (for Acting) with at least 3 Nominations:

1. Annette Bening (lost again last night)
2. Peter O'Toole (did get a Lifetime Achievement award)
3. Warren Beatty (did win as Best Director)
4. Michelle Williams (so may close calls)
5. Carey Mulligan (also lost last night)

Top 5 Favorite Actors/Actresses who Never Won an Oscar (for Acting) with at least 3 Nominations:

1. Annette Bening (lost again last night)
2. Peter O'Toole (did get a Lifetime Achievement award)
3. Warren Beatty (did win as Best Director)
4. Michelle Williams (so may close calls)
5. Carey Mulligan (also lost last night)
I'm probably not being fair to Frances McDormand or Nomadland, which I watched on a plane so not exactly in the right frame of mind, but that Mulligan didn't win Best Actress for Promising Young Woman...hard for me to reconcile. Maybe I need to rewatch Nomadland.

Last edited:

Top 5 Patrick Swayze Movies That Deserve a Retrospective Film Festival:

1. The Outsiders
2. Red Dawn
3. Road House
4. Point Break
5. Ghost

I was inspired by re-watching Road House this past weekend and then chasing it with Bill Simmons' Rewatchables podcast episode. Of course there's better actors than Swayze, but I would argue there are few actors who put together five movies that would be more fun to revisit than Swayze (and I had to leave Youngblood and Uncommon Valor out of the mix).

I'm probably not being fair to Frances McDormand or Nomandland, which I watched on a plane so not exactly in the right frame of mind, but that Mulligan didn't win Best Actress for Promising Young Woman...hard for me to reconcile. Maybe I need to rewatch Nomandland.
No, you're absolutely right. Mulligan was robbed. I guess she should have shit in a bucket...

Top 5 Patrick Swayze Movies That Deserve a Retrospective Film Festival:

1. The Outsiders
2. Red Dawn
3. Road House
4. Point Break
5. Ghost

I was inspired by re-watching Road House this past weekend and then chasing it with Bill Simmons' Rewatchables podcast episode. Of course there's better actors than Swayze, but I would argue there are few actors who put together five movies that would be more fun to revisit than Swayze (and I had to leave Youngblood and Uncommon Valor out of the mix).
Great list!!! Swayze, Keanu, Kurt Russell and Jeff Bridges make my "all cool" list. Roadhouse is a cult classic but I think Bodi was his best character so I give the nod to Point Break:

1. Point Break
2. Roadhouse
3. Red Dawn
4. The Outsiders
5. Youngblood

I'm probably not being fair to Frances McDormand or Nomandland, which I watched on a plane so not exactly in the right frame of mind, but that Mulligan didn't win Best Actress for Promising Young Woman...hard for me to reconcile. Maybe I need to rewatch Nomandland.
By coincidence, I also watched Nomadland on a plane. While I have Frances McDormand in a league or her own, or perhaps with only Meryl Streep, I would have voted for Mulligan as well that year.

Promising Young Woman was also the better film. I also give props to that, because it was a different movie than what I though going in, based on the trailer.

Also regarding Mulligan, even though I did not see An Education until just a few years ago (also on a plane), in retrospect her performance was better than Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side) who got the Oscar in 2009.

Last edited:

Top 5 actors

Brando
Pitt
Denzel
Connery
Damon

Reactions: Go4

Top 5 American Cities

NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Minneapolis (Will always be home)
Los Angeles

Reactions: Go4

Love all these lists as they really stir memories and thinking. I have to ask if I've missed something with the Nomadland being spelled Nomandland? I have seen this in many places online. Please excuse my ignorance on this one.

Love all these lists as they really stir memories and thinking. I have to ask if I've missed something with the Nomadland being spelled Nomandland? I have seen this in many places online. Please excuse my ignorance on this one.
Nomadland is correct, I updated my entry.

I can't speak for Coolhand, but in my head I was confusing the title with the phrase "no man's land", and forgot the stylistic actual title of the film. My bad.

Good catch.

Top 5 MN Events:

1. State Fair
2. Fishing Opener
3. Eelpout Festival
4. Deer Season
5. Woodtick Races

Not a bad list but Brian’s Song is missing. First movie I ever shed a tear too

Top Bottom