All Things Movie/Documentary Reviews/Recommendations Thread

John Cena won the Oscars.
So it looks like the director of Poor Things has another one coming out with Emma Stone and Willem Dafoe, Kinds of Kindness.
Thought it’s kind of interesting using those two again immediately after Poor Things.

So it looks like the director of Poor Things has another one coming out with Emma Stone and Willem Dafoe, Kinds of Kindness.
Thought it’s kind of interesting using those two again immediately after Poor Things.

From looking at wiki, Kinds of Kindness has been in post-production for over a year, since Dec 2022.

Filming for Poor Things wrapped filming back a year prior (Dec 2021). Makes since it took a while (2 years) to edit all the visuals for that one.

Apparently it's an anthology film (several shorter films within the movie).

First rule of government spending: why build one, when two’s just twice the price?

Watched Down by Law (1986) starring Tom Waits, John Lurie, Roberto Benigni, Nicoletta Braschi. Ellen Barkin has an appearance at the start. Only other movie I've seen with this director, Jim Jarmusch, is Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
This one was interesting. Filmed very differently. Black and white, sudden lapses in time and different camera angles. Ended up liking it.

Watched Down by Law (1986) starring Tom Waits, John Lurie, Roberto Benigni, Nicoletta Braschi. Ellen Barkin has an appearance at the start. Only other movie I've seen with this director, Jim Jarmusch, is Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
This one was interesting. Filmed very differently. Black and white, sudden lapses in time and different camera angles. Ended up liking it.
Forgot about that movie. Gonna give it another watch. I like Jarmusch a lot.

Watched Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) in observance of Easter. Bibleverse AKA Christian Cinematic Universe needs a reboot.

Watched Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) in observance of Easter. Bibleverse AKA Christian Cinematic Universe needs a reboot.

I've seen several productions of Superstar on stage. I just think it works better as a stage production as compared to a movie. the original soundtrack recording is still excellent. (cracks me up that the lead singer of Deep Purple performed the role of Jesus on the album).

I've seen several productions of Superstar on stage. I just think it works better as a stage production as compared to a movie. the original soundtrack recording is still excellent. (cracks me up that the lead singer of Deep Purple performed the role of Jesus on the album).
That would be fun. But I'm not sure anyone could top Carl Anderson as Judas. He was incredible!

Just watched Riders of Justice starring Mads Mikkelsen. Man, there were a few scenes in it that were hilarious. Thought it was very good.

Going to try another one with Mads Mikkelsen, Flickering Lights. Directed by the same guy that did Riders of Justice, Anders Thomas Jensen.

Bogging down on this one. Think I will pull the plug.

Last edited:

I've been slowly knocking down some of the "Sniper" movies on Netflix. I have to say, they aren't too damn bad. Basically a number of sequels to the original Tom Berenger/Billy Zane classic, "Sniper". There's a good half dozen of them made, with the primary character being the son of the Berenger character, Thomas Beckett, named Brandon Beckett.

They're not Oscar caliber movies but I gotta say, if you're looking for something to watch, good action movies that I feel comfortable giving the green light to.

Makes me want to go back and watch the original Sniper movie at some point; always loved that movie. Berenger was pretty damn good in that.

Dune: Part Two = good
Liked it. Never read the book, so didn't know what to expect.

Also just watched Headhunters from 2011, directed by Morten Tyldum who directed The Imitation Game. It was quite the movie. Lots of twists and turns.

Last edited:

Watched The Peanut Butter Falcon yesterday. Thought it was good movie and impressed with Shia LaBeouf
Bruce Dern with an appearance also. Old Bruce has been around forever.
Oh, really good music score also.

Last edited:

Watched The Peanut Butter Falcon yesterday. Thought it was good movie and impressed with Shia LaBeouf
Bruce Dern with an appearance also. Old Bruce has been around forever.
Oh, really good music score also.
It's a wonderful feel good movie. It was a rare film that I actually went back to the theater a 2nd time, because I thought my parents would enjoy it too.

Michel Keaton directed and starred in Knox Goes Away

From IMDB
When a contract killer is diagnosed with a fast-moving form of dementia, he is presented with the opportunity to redeem himself by saving the life of his estranged adult son. To do this, he must race against the police closing in on him, as well as the ticking clock of his own rapidly-deteriorating mind.

It was really good. Al Pacino has a role in it also.

Top Bottom