All Things MN United Season Thread

don't have the MLS package on Apple TV, so all I saw was a highlight package. looked like the Loons had some opportunities in the 1st half, but Portland appeared to have the better chances in the 2nd half. Bongi made the most of that last possession.
MLS is free on Apple TV for the next month.

don't have the MLS package on Apple TV, so all I saw was a highlight package. looked like the Loons had some opportunities in the 1st half, but Portland appeared to have the better chances in the 2nd half. Bongi made the most of that last possession.
Bongi has really stepped up this year. He has arguably the highest cieling on the team. He just needs to clean up some touches and he will be one of the best wingers in the league and even have Europe potential

Ever since Heath went to playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dotson and Trapp as the double pivot we've been playing better. Hope he stays with this vs the 4-3-3. Playing Ray as the attacking 8 in front of the Dotson and Trapp double pivot would be fun to watch.

based on what I've read in the Strib and PP, it sounds as if Reynoso is "weeks away" from playing. Heath apparently said that Reynoso had not been training during the off-season and described him as looking "thin."

so the Loons are probably going to have to limp along without Lod and without Reynoso for at least a month.

Rey and Dibassy in training today. Guessing we will see Rey's home debut July 1 against Portland. Hopefully he gets some cameos in next week or two

Bleep. another match where the Loons were putting on pressure and looking like the superior squad. then they take the pressure off and give up a late goal.

hit two posts and had another goal disallowed for offsides. not their night. and Kemar Lawrence went off with an apparent leg injury.

in all fairness, the Austin Goalkeeper stood on his head in stoppage time to keep the Loons from tying up the match.

Help is on the way -- Teemu Pukki will be arriving soon.
as the Loons say "so long, good to know ya" to Amarilla. The Curse of the Loons' Striker continues.

have to admit, was reading article about Reynoso trying to get in shape, and I realized I had completely forgotten about Bakaye Dibassy. If he could get back in the lineup for the second half of the season, that could be a big boost for the backline.

Play the 3-6 exacta box for the Belmont and we’ll see you at the SPA.

Woof. Watched the first half of the Loons no-show against Montreal. that was all I could take.

I had forgotten that Toye used to play for the Loons until the announcers reminded me. they made him look good tonight.

What a dud performace. We are currently in the last playoff spot at the halfway mark with no breathing room. We need Puuki in asap and Rey back to full game fitness. Next game in two weeks with 4 consecutive western conference games before the Leagues Cup break

What a dud performace. We are currently in the last playoff spot at the halfway mark with no breathing room. We need Puuki in asap and Rey back to full game fitness. Next game in two weeks with 4 consecutive western conference games before the Leagues Cup break
We need help. All teams need to do is put a low block on us and then score on the counters. We play the same offense, and it's too easy for other teams to defend against it. Sang-bin is now injured, no idea when he'll be back, and Lod won't be back until the playoffs, and even that's a bit of a question mark.

As for getting help, the earliest Pukki could arrive is July 5th, after he's done playing in Finland's upcoming Euro qualifiers (they play Slovenia next Friday and San Marino the following Monday). So there's an outside chance he could see the field for us in the July 8th game against Austin, but more likely the first game would be July 12th against Houston.

Says alot about the MLS playoff structure that this team is only missing a playoff game on goal difference if the season ended today.

Puuki official. I'm optimistic that he can finally finish Rey's passes. It's a long season and the loons typically are streaky. I think we are due for a good run. I'll be in the Wonderwall tonight

just checked. Loons match is NOT a "free" match tonight on Apple TV+.

Looks like I'm watching Boxing on ESPN+.

I'll try to peek in on the Loons online - just not on Twitter, because Twitter has apparently shat its pants today and no one is willing to clear up the mess.

Loons win 4-1. One "own goal" courtesy of Portland. Reynoso with 2 goals and Bongi with one. Loons dominated the statistics. When they get everyone back from international duty, this could get interesting.

Best game of the season by far. Reynoso is a gamechanger and top 5 player in the league (including Messi). Puuki is expected to be available for Austin this weekend

Wednesday was fun. So refreshing to watch Puuki score on his clear opportunity. A healthy Sang Bin and Fragapagne and we might be cooking with gas. Let's crush LAFC tonight and go into the Leagues Cup in playof position

Was at the Puebla game last night. I was optimistic we would get the win but winning 4-0 with 3 goals being down a man, never would've imagined. This is excisitn. Rey is on another level and Puuki and Bongi are dangerous up top and on the wings. Let's beat Chicago and see if we can host a Club America or Chivas in the knockouts

Was at the Puebla game last night. I was optimistic we would get the win but winning 4-0 with 3 goals being down a man, never would've imagined. This is excisitn. Rey is on another level and Puuki and Bongi are dangerous up top and on the wings. Let's beat Chicago and see if we can host a Club America or Chivas in the knockouts
The Cup is at the right time.

Basically at least 2 games for Rey, Puuki, & Bongi to get on the same page before the MLS season continues.

Jan is back. Can't say I'm too excited about watching him take shots on goal from 40 yards out again, but he does fill a need now that Arriaga is done for the season. Jan wasn't a starter for Nashville, and I don't think he will be for us either. He'll fit in as a sub for either Dotson or Trapp.

Loons with a "interesting" win in the Leagues Cup Tuesday night over Liga MX squad Toluca. match was on FS1.

Loons started slow, but came up with 2 goals in the 1st half by Rosales and Bongi. Bongi is now tied with Messi for most goals scored during Leagues Cup matches.

Then the 2nd half.....Toluca came out with more pressure. scored a goal to make it 2-1. then it really got nuts. Dotson drew his 2nd yellow card of the night, so he was out for the rest of the match. and on the same play, after VAR, the ref called a penalty and Toluca tied the game at 2-2 on a PK.

tied 2-2 and playing a man short, Loons managed to get through regulation. in the PK round to decide the winner, Loons made all 4 of their PK's while Dayne made a save and another Toluca PK hit the post, so Loons won the PK round 4-2.

Loons play Nashville Friday in quarter-finals.

Loons with a "interesting" win in the Leagues Cup Tuesday night over Liga MX squad Toluca. match was on FS1.

Loons started slow, but came up with 2 goals in the 1st half by Rosales and Bongi. Bongi is now tied with Messi for most goals scored during Leagues Cup matches.

Then the 2nd half.....Toluca came out with more pressure. scored a goal to make it 2-1. then it really got nuts. Dotson drew his 2nd yellow card of the night, so he was out for the rest of the match. and on the same play, after VAR, the ref called a penalty and Toluca tied the game at 2-2 on a PK.

tied 2-2 and playing a man short, Loons managed to get through regulation. in the PK round to decide the winner, Loons made all 4 of their PK's while Dayne made a save and another Toluca PK hit the post, so Loons won the PK round 4-2.

Loons play Nashville Friday in quarter-finals.
Tuesday's game was great - probably the most exciting game I've been to. Some comments on the game:
  • Toluca fans were in the house and made it more fun - seeing which fan base could outdo the other. They weren't anything like the America fans in Nashville that were running onto the field and throwing crap. So kudos to anyone fromTuluca that was at the game
  • Will Trapp is our most important player, and has the best motor (the guy never stops running). If you want to focus on one player during a game, make it Trapp. It'll show you our strategy in both the 4-3-3 defense and 2-4-3-1 offense. Rey and now Bongo get all the limelight, but it's Trapp that plays the pivot in our moving the ball forward, and stopper when we're in a defensive mode. Without Trapp doing what he does, Rey and Bongo wouldn't get to stay forward like they do nor would our wing backs be able to move up the sidelines.
  • Dotson's second card was bogus. The ref didn't call it on the field and the VAR video wasn't nearly clear enough to show it was a card. Maybe a PK, but not a second card making it a red.
  • Toluca's first goal shouldn't have counted, they were offsides - the offsides player didn't touch the ball but was clearly in Dane's sight line (which is why Dane didn't see the shot and thus didn't make a move to stop it).
  • Who will start in Dotson's double-pivot role? I'm guessing Jan gets the start, but I'm not too comfortable with that. Jan was always more offense-minded versus getting back on defense. and with Fragapinoe out there (who also doesn't play defense), I'm worried we'll give up some easy goals.
  • I think Dane is really starting to like PKs, he's totally into the overtime challenge.
  • If both us and Miami keep winning, then we'll host Messi for the championship game.

I don't believe that Gregus is eligible to play in the Leagues Cup. I read that, due to the way he was acquired, he can play in regular MLS matches but not in the Leagues Cup. (I think that was in a Strib article)

While the blowout loss was really anticlimactic, I’m feeling optimistic about our playing style going into the home stretch of mls season. Hopefully gregus can hold down the middle in place of Kervin

While the blowout loss was really anticlimactic, I’m feeling optimistic about our playing style going into the home stretch of mls season. Hopefully gregus can hold down the middle in place of Kervin
When Lod went down, I thought it was a 4 month injury, which means he could be back in time for the playoffs - but I haven't heard anything solid about him potentially returning. We could really use him...

Top Bottom