All Things MN United Season Thread

Hey, just out of curiosity, are you going to pony up for the Apple TV+ "MLS Season pass?"

I generally enjoy watching the Loons, but I'm not sure it's worth $100 for a season pass - at least not for me.
I haven't gotten it yet but I intend to. I have Apple Tv plus for Ted Lasso coming up so that will know off the price. I watch almost all of the loons games and a decent amount of MLS games because I'm a sicko so it's worth it for me. I understand the problems that this will have in drawing in casual fans

Even though the club isn't saying much, it seems to appear they have accepted he won't be here by Feb 25. It almost feels like he isn't coming back period. Such a strange situation. I hope we could sell him for a decent price and put that towards a new DP attacker.

Even though the club isn't saying much, it seems to appear they have accepted he won't be here by Feb 25. It almost feels like he isn't coming back period. Such a strange situation. I hope we could sell him for a decent price and put that towards a new DP attacker.
I was just at a Loon's event at Buck Hill tonight, and the pretty consistent rumor (emphasis on rumor, no official announcement) is that Rey is gone for good. Heath wants players that are committed to the team vs focused on themselves, so he'd rather go with someone that has less talent but who has a far better work ethic and is a team player.

I was just at a Loon's event at Buck Hill tonight, and the pretty consistent rumor (emphasis on rumor, no official announcement) is that Rey is gone for good. Heath wants players that are committed to the team vs focused on themselves, so he'd rather go with someone that has less talent but who has a far better work ethic and is a team player.
It’s going to be a long season. Our whole offensive identity was playing through Rey. Lesson learned that soccer is not basketball, you can’t rely on one player to facilitate your offense.

If I had to bet, I would say that Robin Lod opens the season in that spot, unless they make some kind of late acquisition or signing. If Hassani Dotson is healthy, I also think he will have to play a more active role in the attack.

If I had to bet, I would say that Robin Lod opens the season in that spot, unless they make some kind of late acquisition or signing. If Hassani Dotson is healthy, I also think he will have to play a more active role in the attack.
I think Lod would do a good job at the 10. He can facilitate play, score and is comfortable all over the field. If Amarilla and Garcia can make good runs off him, I can see this working

Snow-pener tomorrow? Do we break our the orange ball?

Looks like the long-rumored deal is finally happening and that we're getting some additional firepower added to the offense. I'm hoping he replaces Bongo on right-wing. I know Bongo's scored both our goals, but the guy has zero touch - pass him the ball on the wing and he turns it over.

Bongi is a good sub. He can come in against a tired team and cause havoc. He isn't a starter.

This addition is very good.

If I'm reading the schedule correctly, Saturday night's match is free on Apple TV+. Of course, it's at Colorado, so I don't know if I can stay awake for the entire match.

Really hoping we can take another road win. I don’t care how ugly it is. As it stands, we will be losing 6 of our players the following weekend to international duty so they roster will be a bit thin against Vancouver

Really hoping we can take another road win. I don’t care how ugly it is. As it stands, we will be losing 6 of our players the following weekend to international duty so they roster will be a bit thin against Vancouver

Why does MLS insist on playing during international windows?

Why does MLS insist on playing during international windows?
Because they decided to stop the season for a month in the summer to start a money grab tournament.

When schedules haven't been compressed due to Covid (and now Leagues cup) they've given clubs the choice of whether or not they wanted to play during international breaks. Clubs without international call ups would play and have less schedule congestion throughout the year. Clubs who didn't want to play would play more mid-week games.

But now we have to start in February, play till December, and roll through international breaks because we need an 18 team playoff and a 4 week Mickey Mouse tournament.

Last edited:

Loons win! it was a 'free' game on Apple TV+. odd watching with neutral commentators.

Loons got down 1-0 but came back to win 2-1. Arriaga scored on a PK after a hand-ball call against Colorado in the penalty area. And then a really pretty goal by Tapias on a header off an entry ball from Fragapane. Loons could have had a 3rd goal but Bongi was called for offsides on a really close play. If he was offsides, it was by a matter of inches.

on the stats, Colorado led in time of possession 61 to 39%. Colorado had 12 shots - 3 on goal. Loons had 11 shots - 2 on goal. St. Clair with 2 saves.

Massive win. What a header by Tapias. He has been a terrific signing so far in a position of need. Excited to see where our new South Korean signing fits in on the offense. Even though I'm pissed with Rey, I would love to have him back in the 10 position. Here's to grinding out another result against Vancouver

Massive win. What a header by Tapias. He has been a terrific signing so far in a position of need. Excited to see where our new South Korean signing fits in on the offense. Even though I'm pissed with Rey, I would love to have him back in the 10 position. Here's to grinding out another result against Vancouver
For the Vancouver match, which is taking place during what should be an international break:

We know Trapp and Dotson is probably going to start in Arriaga or Lod's place in the Midfield.

Will it be Kallman for Boxall? Who will start for Bongo? Rosales?

The big question, who will be in goal?

For the Vancouver match, which is taking place during what should be an international break:

We know Trapp and Dotson is probably going to start in Arriaga or Lod's place in the Midfield.

We'll be missing seven players (eight if you include Jeong Sang-bin), only two other teams (Orlando and Atlanta) are missing seven.
Vancouver is only missing two:
And yep, Trapp and Dotson (Trapp with cracked ribs that are hopefully fully healed by now) will start, along with Irwin in goal. If Irwin has a great game, does he keep playing as our #1 keeper (ala the way St. Clair did)?

BTW - after watching the Loons play for the 1st time this season - I don't like the new kit. a little too "busy" for me.

I think you’re right about kallman. As for the wing, bongi and Rosales will be out so I’m guessing we’ll play some guys out of position. It won’t be pretty

Loons give up a goal with seconds remaining in stoppage time on Saturday and end up with a 1-1 draw despite missing at least 6 regulars to international play.

Mender Garcia with the Loons' goal.

Vancouver led in time of possession 63 to 37%. had 10 corner kicks to 2 for the Loons.
Vancouver also had 5 shots on goal to 2 for the Loons. Another Vancouver goal was waived off for an offsides call.

considering the stats and the players missing, I suppose a tie isn't bad. but they were less than a minute away from getting the win.

Loons give up a goal with seconds remaining in stoppage time on Saturday and end up with a 1-1 draw despite missing at least 6 regulars to international play.

Mender Garcia with the Loons' goal.

Vancouver led in time of possession 63 to 37%. had 10 corner kicks to 2 for the Loons.
Vancouver also had 5 shots on goal to 2 for the Loons. Another Vancouver goal was waived off for an offsides call.

considering the stats and the players missing, I suppose a tie isn't bad. but they were less than a minute away from getting the win.
I agree. It’s a draw that feels like a loss, even if most of us would’ve been happy with a draw due to our limited roster. I think the final whistle should’ve been blown before that final scoring opportunity but some of our young guys made some mistakes that allowed Vancouver to keep getting chances

It will be interesting to see what happens to the lineup if/when Reynoso starts playing. no word yet on when that might take place, but he is back in the US and supposedly working with the team on a path to return.

disclaimer - I completely forgot the Loons had the US Open Cup match this week, and apparently there was a free stream on You Tube. (not YTTV).

Loons & Philadelphia tied 3-3 in OT. game was decided by penalty kicks. Loons played several reserves including Irwin at goal keeper.

next round of matches in the Cup will be May 23 & 24. Pairings will be set after this week's matches are completed.

didn't see the match. newspaper account made it sound as if the entire team took the night off.

this team sure seems to have its share of defensive breakdowns.

if things don't improve, I wonder if Heath is on the hot seat?

Bongi has really stepped up this season. Losing Lod hurts, getting Rey back will help. Our strikers suck. Hoping for a US Open Cup run.

don't have the MLS package on Apple TV, so all I saw was a highlight package. looked like the Loons had some opportunities in the 1st half, but Portland appeared to have the better chances in the 2nd half. Bongi made the most of that last possession.

Top Bottom