All Things MN United Season Thread

Two points from hosting the first playoff game and two points from missing the playoffs altogether. No pressure.....

Good to see Reynoso resign for what will be the rest of his 20s. Very talented player that we need to do a better job of building around him. Need to get center back help this winter

Good to see Reynoso resign for what will be the rest of his 20s. Very talented player that we need to do a better job of building around him. Need to get center back help this winter
Yes! Mender was not the guy to sign. They needed a top flight center back. An Opara like player on this team would change everything.

They also need someone better than Bongi on the wing. He can run, but he can't do much else. He's a sub to bring in with 25 or 30 minutes left to challenge tired legs.

You had me worried with the word "resign" (as in turning in your resignation letter...)

did anyone ever find out what happened to Opara? I don't think they ever gave any specifics about the type of injury.

Was at gopher football game today. Hoping the loons can give us something positive tonight

and another dud. with a capital D.

I don't think the opposing goalie had to make a save all night - because the Loons cannot get a ball on net. they either get too cute with the passing or blast away from outside the box and miss the net. I think Reynoso came the closest on a ball that missed the upper right corner by about a foot.

at this point, even if they sneak into the playoffs, I can't see them doing anything.

On the bright side, if we lose to Vancouver, I don’t have to eat crow about Heath.

On the really bright side, I don’t have to either way. It’ll just be funnier if we collapse out of the playoffs immediately after having given this clown an extension.

Last edited:

On the bright side, if we lose to Vancouver, I don’t have to eat crow about Heath.

On the really bright side, I don’t have to either way. It’ll just be funnier if we collapse out of the playoffs immediately after having given this clown an extension.
At this point it might be better to miss the playoffs. We would clearly be a one and done and something needs to change with this team to try and get to the next step

We've made a lot of bad moves, one of which was letting Ethan Finlay go to Austin. We've totally lost any ability to attack from the right side, which used to be our strength. Losing Romain Métanire and Finlay hurt us a lot on the right side. On the left side, Chase Gasper is now with the LA Galaxy, and we lost Dotson to injury. The replacements for those four players was a big step backwards.

Today is match day. it simple. Win and you in the playoffs. Loss and season over. Also today is the last local broadcast of Minnesota United FC matches for the next 10 years. starting next year all games not on national tv will be on apple tv.

D did a great job keeping Dallas to 1 goal during 120 min+. Had feeling that they would win in penalties with their talent. On to next year.

same old story. Loons need to possess the ball more, and find a way to generate more high-percentage attacking opportunities. you can't plan on winning every match 1-0.

I think they need to take a hard look at the roster and make some changes before next season.

of course, if I want to watch them next season, I'll have to get Apple TV. still not sure if that's worth it.

same old story. Loons need to possess the ball more, and find a way to generate more high-percentage attacking opportunities. you can't plan on winning every match 1-0.

I think they need to take a hard look at the roster and make some changes before next season.
We'll get a lot of players back from the injured pool, but yes, we can use some new ones as well. We should have a lot of room cap space for salaries (you'll find the Loons near the bottom of this chart).

1666104806164.png

What a weird season. Lots of ups and downs. Losing Dibassy seemed to hurt us more than we realized. Probably need to address the back line as a priority this winter. Would be nice if we had a consistent striker up top. Amarilla was a disappointment

I'm only a casual soccer fan, so I will pose this question:

with the striker position, is it the players, or is it the system?

it seems like every year, Heath brings in some new guy who is supposed to produce more goals, but it doesn't happen.

to my untrained eyes, it seems as if the Loons are always trying to make the "cute" pass or the perfect pass, and a lot of the time, they lose possession without ever getting a shot on net. that seems to be more of a system issue than a talent issue - but I could be wrong.....

I miss guys like Molino or Finlay who seemed to have a simpler but more direct approach - get down the field as fast as possible and kick the freaking ball at the net.

I'm only a casual soccer fan, so I will pose this question:

with the striker position, is it the players, or is it the system?

it seems like every year, Heath brings in some new guy who is supposed to produce more goals, but it doesn't happen.

to my untrained eyes, it seems as if the Loons are always trying to make the "cute" pass or the perfect pass, and a lot of the time, they lose possession without ever getting a shot on net. that seems to be more of a system issue than a talent issue - but I could be wrong.....

I miss guys like Molino or Finlay who seemed to have a simpler but more direct approach - get down the field as fast as possible and kick the freaking ball at the net.
That's a good observation. We tend to lose the ball a lot in the opposition's box. Unfortunately, the killer instinct is lacking with Amarilla. His job is to put the ball in the net. Rey and Fraga are there to facilitate the passing to set up said goal. Many teams in MLS have the same issue

I think they left a lot of guys unprotected who have had injury problems in the past - maybe hoping that the expansion team wouldn't claim them for that reason.

I don’t like that we traded aziel jackson to St. Louis. He had promise. The few times I saw him play live, I could tell he had the vision that very few players have, similar to Reynoso

I don’t like that we traded aziel jackson to St. Louis. He had promise. The few times I saw him play live, I could tell he had the vision that very few players have, similar to Reynoso
Jackson was tough to lose.

Agree, and we got basically nothing for him in the trade.

since no one has started a new 2023 Loons thread yet, I'll bump this one:

Reynoso situation grows more serious......

From the Strib:

Major League Soccer on Friday suspended Minnesota United star midfielder Emanuel Reynoso without pay for not reporting to preseason training.

A two-time MLS All-Star and the Loons' all-time leading scorer, Reynoso has missed the preseason's opening month while his teammates trained in Blaine and near Orlando, Fla.

The club had attributed his absence to personal matters and multiple times this past month coach Adrian Heath said he expected Reynoso to arrive within days.

On Friday, Minnesota United released a two-sentence statement that announced the MLS suspension and stated, "We have no additional information beyond that at this time."

Heath last week called himself optimistic Reynoso would be headed to Minnesota from his Argentina home by week's end. "There's one or two issues he needs to sort out at home," Heath said then.

They're starting to refer to the situation as the Rey-no-show. This is very concerning and makes the club look like fools with no power over the situation. We can't get any sort of reliable info on it. Just vague, non updates. I don't know if he ever comes back to MN. If that's the case, we are in big trouble this season

They're starting to refer to the situation as the Rey-no-show. This is very concerning and makes the club look like fools with no power over the situation. We can't get any sort of reliable info on it. Just vague, non updates. I don't know if he ever comes back to MN. If that's the case, we are in big trouble this season

Hey, just out of curiosity, are you going to pony up for the Apple TV+ "MLS Season pass?"

I generally enjoy watching the Loons, but I'm not sure it's worth $100 for a season pass - at least not for me.

Hey, just out of curiosity, are you going to pony up for the Apple TV+ "MLS Season pass?"

I generally enjoy watching the Loons, but I'm not sure it's worth $100 for a season pass - at least not for me.
I get a "free" subscription with my season tickets. It'll be interesting to see if the Apple deal works for MLS. The NHL has the same situation, you can't watch Wild games on services like YouTubeTV.

Top Bottom