All Things MN United Season Thread

I mean, I know it's a friendly but we thoroughly outplayed Everton's starters and even when we put our B squad in, we still were the better team. That was a bizarre result. Across the league, the other friendlies are playing out as expected with the European team either winning comfortably or closely. We just crushed a premier league club. Pretty awesome

So ... what does this mean?? Are we winning the MLS? Is the (lower? half? third? what?) of the Premier League not that good? Was this a fluke?

In all seriousness. I’d consider it a big deal even though it doesn’t mean anything for our actual season. All the other friendlies around the country were either close or the euro team won comfortably. We were the only mls team to actually win by a significant margin. Everton was playing their starters and they were trying. I hope this doesn’t hurt our performance in Houston Saturday though

Did we do something different? Is it something that we can just do for the rest of our MLS games, and also win them?

Did we do something different? Is it something that we can just do for the rest of our MLS games, and also win them?
I think it means a few things. 1) Everton is one of the worst Premier League teams. It's preseason for them. They are not gelling yet (also have a new coach). 2) MN United when they play hard and as a team they can compete with anyone. 3) MLS is still far off from Premier League but perhaps that gap has closed some in the last 10 years.

Loons have played really well the last 3 weeks. If they continue to play like that they will contend for a title.

This was Everton's 2nd exhibition match, and the Loons have been playing for months. It's not really an equal situation.

From what I read, Everton is also still finalizing its roster. They sold off some high-priced player and have $ to spend to add talent.

on the Loons, they had Heath's son (an international scout) on during the broadcast, and he was pretty cagey, but it sounds like the Loons are adding another attacker very soon (assuming the deal goes through). from an article in the Strib, the player is Colombian striker Mender Garcia, 23.

I agree with everyone's points above but note that all the other EPL and Euro teams either played even to the MLS teams (which totally makes sense as they are in preseason and we are midseason) or they walloped them (Bayern beating DC United 6-2, FC Barca beating Miami 6-0, etc. The loons didn't really play a miraculous game. They just were the flat out better team and Everton was definitely not happy about it and they were trying. I'm not asking for a statue to built outside Allianz field commemorating this game but this was a significant achievement in our short history. I think MLS is trending in the right direction and within a decade will be 5th best league in the world, leaping France's Ligue 1. That's my hot take

Aren’t the Aurora community owned? That’s not allowed in NWSL.

I see them going to the USL Super League (new div 2 league) eventually but don’t see NWSL in their future without a sale of the team.

Also, make any excuse you want for Everton, but that was an embarrassment. They even lost 1-0 to our 2 team in the 2nd half. They’re gonna be fighting relegation again. Especially so since they’re being coached by Lampard.

Loons beat Houston 2-1.

Goals by Fragapane and Bongi! (look for the highlights to see Bongi's goal "dance.")

played a makeshift lineup with Reynoso out. Houston dominated time of possession, had more shots on goal, and had 13 corner kicks to the Loons 1. Dayne with 3 saves.

Loons 3rd in the Western Conference. Next game at home vs Portland on the 30th. Portland currently in 8th place in the Western Conference.

PS - the Aurora lost 2-1 in Overtime. only loss of the season.

Was at the Aurora game. Great atmosphere, great stadium, perfect night temps. Free parking, reasonable ticket prices (great for kids). Concession stands literally ran out of stuff.

Welcome to Minnesota Sports, Aurora.

The other team's keeper was MVP, unquestionable. Very tall, very athletic. Stopped a PK, then got up immediately and stopped the rebound shot. Both should've gone in. The only goal from us was an incredible shot from 30 yards out that landed in the top corner. She won the top keeper award for the league this year, easy to see why.

Our goalie is pretty good too. Their team also had the league MVP, but she didn't score.

We had lots of shots but couldn't put it in.

Overall it seemed clear by the 2nd OT that both teams simply lacked the overall talent to just go out and win the game. We had lost one of our starting wings late in regulation. Both had some talented players, but also both had players where it was clear they were borderline not so great.

Oh well, was a fun time.

They absolutely need to upgrade leagues. No possible doubt.

Do we know how serious Rey’s injury is?

I think it's more of a day-to-day thing.

according to an article in the Strib last week, Trapp is out for 3-4 weeks. Arriaga is still out with his high ankle sprain. Jacori Hayes is out for the year with a broken bone in his leg.

and....

Heath said the team still is waiting on immigration paperwork to get Colombian striker Mender Garcia into the country and signed.

I think it's more of a day-to-day thing.

according to an article in the Strib last week, Trapp is out for 3-4 weeks. Arriaga is still out with his high ankle sprain. Jacori Hayes is out for the year with a broken bone in his leg.

and....

Heath said the team still is waiting on immigration paperwork to get Colombian striker Mender Garcia into the country and signed.
That’s good. Saw Trapp was several weeks which I felt like was a win after how he left the game.

Hopefully Arriaga isn’t far behind, but it’d be great if Rey can go again this weekend.

That’s good. Saw Trapp was several weeks which I felt like was a win after how he left the game.

Hopefully Arriaga isn’t far behind, but it’d be great if Rey can go again this weekend.
They need Reynoso and Arriaga back quickly.

I expect Benitez to see more playing time soon. I get the sense that Heath likes what he can bring in terms of experience.

and kudos to Lod for being able to move to a different position and play well. with all of the mid-field injuries, Lod has really saved the day.

Sorry, one last post on Aurora. Looks like the USL is starting up the "Super League" in 2023, which will be Women's DII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_Super_League It was announced at the same time as the W League.

Can't see any possible reason that the Aurora shouldn't immediately upgrade to that league. Would be silly not to.

Sorry, one last post on Aurora. Looks like the USL is starting up the "Super League" in 2023, which will be Women's DII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_Super_League It was announced at the same time as the W League.

Can't see any possible reason that the Aurora shouldn't immediately upgrade to that league. Would be silly not to.
As long as the financials make sense I’m guessing they will try. A full season schedule, traveling nationally, and paying players is expensive. And navigating professional lower league soccer is unforgiving.

Probably will require someone with deep pockets to come into the ownership picture.

As long as the financials make sense I’m guessing they will try. A full season schedule, traveling nationally, and paying players is expensive. And navigating professional lower league soccer is unforgiving.

Probably will require someone with deep pockets to come into the ownership picture.

article in the Strib today talking to the ownership group. They stated that, at this time, they do not plan to try and move up. They like the current model with the USL W league.

please note - with the W league, the players are not paid. that allowed the Aurora to show a profit for their first year of existence.

moving up to the Super League means paying the players - which means a completely different financial model. would probably have to look at moving the games to Allianz and possibly charging more for tickets to make it work.

so there are pros and cons to the situation.

article in the Strib today talking to the ownership group. They stated that, at this time, they do not plan to try and move up. They like the current model with the USL W league.

please note - with the W league, the players are not paid. that allowed the Aurora to show a profit for their first year of existence.

moving up to the Super League means paying the players - which means a completely different financial model. would probably have to look at moving the games to Allianz and possibly charging more for tickets to make it work.

so there are pros and cons to the situation.
They’d love to move on to bigger things. They know they need a bunch of money they don’t have to do it.

Well, 6500 x $15 (or whatever it was), was a good start. Obviously some goes to the crews, stadium, etc. Just saying.

Well, 6500 x $15 (or whatever it was), was a good start. Obviously some goes to the crews, stadium, etc. Just saying.
It is an excellent start. This estimate for costs was done 3 years ago for the usl men’s d3 league. And the low end salary estimate is frankly poverty level.

Not saying they won’t do it. But it’s gonna take a millionaire stepping in and willing to pump the club full of money till they’re profitable. Though honestly I think they’d have investors lining up to throw money at them if they wanted.

Amarilla is finally who we thought he is. They've found a forward.

Unfortunately, they need to strengthen the defense, amd injuries have hurt the MF.

They should've used the Window on a DP who can solidify the defense, instead of an international signing.

What a fun first half, but weird 2nd half.
I'm really starting to dislike Portland. So many cards in the 2nd half.
Obviously felt like we let a win escape, but still pulling out a draw after the collapse was good to see and most importantly, seeing Bongi, Amarilla, and Fragapane doing well offensively was good.

Having Rob Lod as a defensive mid is great for us offensively, but defensively this may not have been his best game working with Arriaga for the first time.

I like Benitez and expect he'll start soon. I think he's a very good player.

I think the different in this team between it's slow start, and the last few weeks is just timing. Hlongwane seems in sync now with the rest of the offense. Timing of passes is far better where early he was giving away some turnovers with less than stellar passing.

Amarilla playing with confidence sure helps as well. Great goal today on the 1 v 1.

didn't see the Saturday game (was visiting relatives).

did see a report that Reynoso, Boxall and Lod are all out of the next match due to accumulated yellow cards. ouch.

That was a wild game. I don’t really know if I’m mad or happy that we got the draw. We fought back from giving up a goal less than 15 seconds into the game and also fought back from losing our two goal lead. That said, we need to get things sorted out on the defensive side. Too many errors leading to goals. Colorado is always a tough game.

That was a wild game. I don’t really know if I’m mad or happy that we got the draw. We fought back from giving up a goal less than 15 seconds into the game and also fought back from losing our two goal lead. That said, we need to get things sorted out on the defensive side. Too many errors leading to goals. Colorado is always a tough game.
A tie next week will be great, considering it's a road game with 3 starters out.

Well, that was one weird match.

Loons play with 4 starters out (3 for yellow card accumulations and 1 for injury.)

the defense was a mess in the first half.

Zardes gets a hat trick for Colorado. Dayne has a rough 1st half in goal.

and yet the Loons get back in the match and had a chance at a tie, but Bongi has a shot blocked by the Rapids keeper.

And Colorado flops more than any team I've seen this year.

oops - should have said 5 starters out. Forgot about Trapp still being out.

so Loons played with 5 of their 10 projected starting position players out of game.

reinforcements on the way.

the Loons have officially signed Colombian striker Mender Garcia and completed a transfer-window deadline deal to get midfielder Jonathan Gonzalez on loan from Monterey in Mexico's Liga MX.

will be interesting to see what happens to the lineup when everyone is healthy.

Top Bottom