All Things MN United Season Thread

match tonight will be interesting. Arriaga out with injury and Rosales out with accumulated yellow cards. Jacori Hayes might wind up starting.

It sounds like they signed Alan Benitez. He doesn't play for his current club, and he's 28.

Why would they want him as a DP?

Gotta love it.

Loons go up 3-0.

next thing you know, it's 3-2 and it's "hanging on for dear life" time.

big match Friday at Vancouver. the two teams are tied in the standings. Loons need all the points they can get to stay in the playoff race.

It sounds like they signed Alan Benitez. He doesn't play for his current club, and he's 28.

Why would they want him as a DP?
Good news he won’t be a DP. But yes not an inspiring signing, seems like he’ll be a metanaire replacement

Loons fall behind 1-0 in the 2nd half, then score 3 unanswered goals to defeat Vancouver 3-1 Friday night. Goals by Lawrence, Amarilla and Fragapane.

Loons now in a 4-way tie for 4th place in the Western Conference - 2 points out of 3rd place.

Next up - Sporting KC on Wednesday. KC is currently in last place in the conference, so an opportunity to pick up more points.

Heath may have me eat some crow before this season is over. 9 points in the last 3 with 2 more upcoming against bottom feeders.

Wow. I experienced the full range of emotions last night. Maybe we have turned a corner as typically we would collapse after going down on the road. Good to see Luis amarilla keep scoring. SKC and DC United next week

Wow. I experienced the full range of emotions last night. Maybe we have turned a corner as typically we would collapse after going down on the road. Good to see Luis amarilla keep scoring. SKC and DC United next week
Amarilla is playing better lately. The entire team is.

I would love them to grab a quality DP during this window. They could make a strong playoff push.

I think the most encouraging thing about Friday night is that Reynoso did not have a good match - but the team got production from other players and they still won.

and - Trapp was a lot more aggressive or assertive when attacking. he seems to add a different element to the attack when he gets involved.

Heath may have me eat some crow before this season is over. 9 points in the last 3 with 2 more upcoming against bottom feeders.
Never count out a bottom feeder when a Minnesota team is playing then. No one plays down to their competition like Minnesota teams.

On the plus side, St. Clair is one of the best keepers in MLS. He'll be playing for a good European team sooner rather than later.

Oh. I just assumed Sporting was a great program that was always up there, like the Yankees or something. Obviously don't closely follow MLS. Did not know they're dead last.

Well at least a tie instead of a loss.

Well, we get the Wayne Rooney circus this Saturday...maybe.

He was not in DC yet for yesterday's match.

definitely a missed opportunity to gain some points.

this makes Saturday a must-win. DC is last in the standings in the East. Cannot have another half-hearted effort.

Well, we get the Wayne Rooney circus this Saturday...maybe.

He was not in DC yet for yesterday's match.
He was in the stadium but not allowed to coach yet till he gets his work visa. He probably will still not have it for our game thankfully. Last thing we need is a crappy team getting a morale boost with a legend in the locker room.

Loons get it done against cellar-dweller DC United, 2-0. Both goals by Reynoso, assisted by Amarilla. Loons came close to scoring a couple of more goals - they were trying to get Bongi his 1st MLS goal, but just missed.

Loons are now in 3rd place in the Western Conference.

a "friendly" with Everton on Weds. Next Saturday, Loons face Houston - currently in 12th place in the West - so a chance to pick up some more points.

This season has been a literal rolloer coaster. We have seen the best and the worst that this team can do. As Rey goes, so goes the team

The women's team Aurora are headed to the championship, in their league.

This team is not an equivalent to the Loons, as like the Lynx are for the Twolves. It is aparantly not even (fully?) professional players, and a fairly low level league.

Wonder if this success, and if the fans have been showing up, will prompt the owners to consider asking to upgrade into one of the women's professional leagues?

The women's team Aurora are headed to the championship, in their league.

This team is not an equivalent to the Loons, as like the Lynx are for the Twolves. It is aparantly not even (fully?) professional players, and a fairly low level league.

Wonder if this success, and if the fans have been showing up, will prompt the owners to consider asking to upgrade into one of the women's professional leagues?
It's not even the equilivant of the USL. It is the top amatuer league in the country (there are even a few top-notch high school players on the team).

But, I think the management wants to keep it amatuer for now.

Why not upgrade the Aurora into that? If they have success, can catch on with the fans. The TCO stadium is probably a good fit, selling out 5k as opposed to that level in the Loon's stadium (20k?)

I think the Aurora is - in part - an attempt to show that the Twin Cities market will support Women's Soccer.

in competitive terms, the Aurora are equivalent to the Northwoods League for baseball. teams include a mix of High School and college players.

to land a NWSL team would require a much larger investment. the NWSL has raised its salary cap and salary floor in recent years. I believe the smallest venue in the league seats about 7,000 - most of the teams play in larger facilities. Several of the teams have ties to MLS teams in the same market.

I think the Aurora is - in part - an attempt to show that the Twin Cities market will support Women's Soccer.

in competitive terms, the Aurora are equivalent to the Northwoods League for baseball. teams include a mix of High School and college players.

to land a NWSL team would require a much larger investment. the NWSL has raised its salary cap and salary floor in recent years. I believe the smallest venue in the league seats about 7,000 - most of the teams play in larger facilities. Several of the teams have ties to MLS teams in the same market.
The NWSL isn't a joke. They get good ratings and good attendance.

And they've announced that they've sold out for the championship game. Saw on the news last night, the coach was saying some of the places they go to have like 10 fans in the stands.

Makes no sense to stay in this league. If Aurora management want to maintain this momentum, before the "novelty" wears off, they need to upgrade leagues pronto. My very uninformed opinion. :cool:

I think aurora will go pro within 5 years, whether that’s nwsl or usl pro league that will start next year.

Top Bottom