All Things MN United Season Thread

so, news is breaking today that MLS has signed a new exclusive TV rights deal with Apple TV, starting in 2023.

If I'm reading this correctly, it means that Loons games would no longer be available on Bally's or any free over-the-air channels, and you will have to sign up for the new streaming service or get an Apple TV subscription to watch MLS games.

it sounds like some games might still be offered on ESPN, but the articles I read were not clear about that. a lot of details have not been finalized.

anyway, enjoy the Loons on TV while you can.
Bolded: disagree that they are on "TV" now.

Bally's has made itself exclusive to old style TV and only one streaming distribution partner Directv Stream.

Silly to do that and purposefully ignore very popular streaming distribution services from YouTube, Hulu, Sling, Fubo, etc.

so, news is breaking today that MLS has signed a new exclusive TV rights deal with Apple TV, starting in 2023.

If I'm reading this correctly, it means that Loons games would no longer be available on Bally's or any free over-the-air channels, and you will have to sign up for the new streaming service or get an Apple TV subscription to watch MLS games.

it sounds like some games might still be offered on ESPN, but the articles I read were not clear about that. a lot of details have not been finalized.

anyway, enjoy the Loons on TV while you can.
Yes that is mostly correct. The only way to follow loons entire season is through the new Apple TV service. There’s a lot of pros and cons to this. I don’t have Bally or traditional cable but wm able to watch most loons game via Hulu/espn+. If you have a season ticket, it’ll be free and that includes all mls games. I like the current set up as espn+ gives me la liga and Bundesliga plus most mls games and nhl. Hard to beat that deal

Bolded: disagree that they are on "TV" now.

Bally's has made itself exclusive to old style TV and only one streaming distribution partner Directv Stream.

Silly to do that and purposefully ignore very popular streaming distribution services from YouTube, Hulu, Sling, Fubo, etc.
Yeah I’m good with them being off Bally. I think mls is a good fit for this new set up. All games in one place with no blackouts and not having to bounce between espn, fs1, espn+, etc

Yes that is mostly correct. The only way to follow loons entire season is through the new Apple TV service. There’s a lot of pros and cons to this. I don’t have Bally or traditional cable but wm able to watch most loons game via Hulu/espn+. If you have a season ticket, it’ll be free and that includes all mls games. I like the current set up as espn+ gives me la liga and Bundesliga plus most mls games and nhl. Hard to beat that deal
Did I read you right, that if we have season tickets to the Loons, then we'll get free Apple TV service?

There are select Loons games broadcast over the air (at least in the Cities, not sure about out state) on the local CW channel.

Which Loons games via ESPN+ are you not able to watch, and I wonder why?

There are select Loons games broadcast over the air (at least in the Cities, not sure about out state) on the local CW channel.

Which Loons games via ESPN+ are you not able to watch, and I wonder why?
The only ones I can’t get on espn+ are the games on espn, fs1 or other national outlet. Since I don’t have cable and I don’t always have live tv option on my Hulu, I have to get creative and find a free trial. Once American football season starts, I usually bite the bullet and get live tv added to my
Hulu sub

In my case, I do get Bally's on my cable TV system. So, ESPN+ blacks out Loons games because "they are available locally" even if the games are on the Bally's+ channel.

In my case, I do get Bally's on my cable TV system. So, ESPN+ blacks out Loons games because "they are available locally" even if the games are on the Bally's+ channel.
Yes, all last year I thought it was a glitch that I was getting home loons game on espn+. It turns out, if you have the Hulu/espn+/Disney+ bundle (basically you get the 3 services for price of 2) that bypasses the local blackout for MLS only. It did not work for wild games

I'd like to see RSN's go the way of the Dodo.

For any major pro sport other than NFL, you should indeed be able to see any regular season game you want, from anywhere in the country (and Canada). Don't care if it's a separate DTC streaming app you load up, or if it's a channel (plus additional "overflow" channels if multiple games are happening at the same time, as needed) on a streaming TV service.

It's all wrapped up in greed and money, forcing fans to be subjected to an outdated system, in order to keep filling the same pockets that were previously being filled, for no good reason.

For example, live broadcasts of the Yankees home games will always belong to some monopoly (I think it's called YES Network at the moment), that will never allow those live broadcasts to be included in such an "all everything MLB" streaming package as I describe above. They want people to pay special just for the Yankees, and the MLB is never going to force them to go in on such a package.

Af
I'd like to see RSN's go the way of the Dodo.

For any major pro sport other than NFL, you should indeed be able to see any regular season game you want, from anywhere in the country (and Canada). Don't care if it's a separate DTC streaming app you load up, or if it's a channel (plus additional "overflow" channels if multiple games are happening at the same time, as needed) on a streaming TV service.

It's all wrapped up in greed and money, forcing fans to be subjected to an outdated system, in order to keep filling the same pockets that were previously being filled, for no good reason.

For example, live broadcasts of the Yankees home games will always belong to some monopoly (I think it's called YES Network at the moment), that will never allow those live broadcasts to be included in such an "all everything MLB" streaming package as I describe above. They want people to pay special just for the Yankees, and the MLB is never going to force them to go in on such a package.
Agree 100%. I think this mls deal is the first of more to come. Not sure which of the Big 4 leagues will follow suit next but it’s a matter of when, not if

Heath can't judge talent at the forward position. Hunou, Danladi, Amarilla, the guy they dumped in the middle of last season.

It's the downfall of this team. If they had one really good forward, then they'd be going somewhere.

Rumors going around that Heath has already been extended for 3 more years. I'm at a loss for words. Almost makes me want to drop my tickets if it's true
I would do that if I was in your shoes. That's the only way the higher ups will realize we don't want more of this mediocrity. It feels like Zimmer all over again. Plus you can get most tickets on a game by game basis for a cheaper price most games. I was seriously considering getting season tickets for next year but won't do it becuase of this

I'm excited about the TV deal.
This is the only reason I'm paying a large amount of money for Directv-Stream.

Sooner opt for Apple TV and drop my base streaming to youtube TV or another reasonable package knowing I won't need Bally's any longer.

I would do that if I was in your shoes. That's the only way the higher ups will realize we don't want more of this mediocrity. It feels like Zimmer all over again. Plus you can get most tickets on a game by game basis for a cheaper price most games. I was seriously considering getting season tickets for next year but won't do it becuase of this
Indeed, I believe it has long been an argument on the Vikings inability to get over the hump or slowness in moving on from mediocrity: diehard fans keep buying tickets and showing up, no matter what.

I'm excited about the TV deal.
This is the only reason I'm paying a large amount of money for Directv-Stream.

Sooner opt for Apple TV and drop my base streaming to youtube TV or another reasonable package knowing I won't need Bally's any longer.
Unless you want to watch Twins, Wolves, Wild :(

Unless you want to watch Twins, Wolves, Wild :(

I think the real question is whether this is a long-term trend. Bally's is going to come out with its own streaming package, so at some point, if you're a sports fan and want to follow teams in multiple leagues, you will have to have multiple streaming packages.

in the end, I suspect that it will cost more than people were paying for cable TV - when they were complaining about how expensive cable TV was.

I think the real question is whether this is a long-term trend. Bally's is going to come out with its own streaming package, so at some point, if you're a sports fan and want to follow teams in multiple leagues, you will have to have multiple streaming packages.

in the end, I suspect that it will cost more than people were paying for cable TV - when they were complaining about how expensive cable TV was.
It will cost more for sports fans and/or those who want 5-10 channels/networks worth of content. No doubt about it.

But probably most, who are good with just Netflix or just one service + freebie stuff, were getting "overcharged" for a bunch of content (esp. sports) that they never watched in the old way.

It will cost more for sports fans and/or those who want 5-10 channels/networks worth of content. No doubt about it.

But probably most, who are good with just Netflix or just one service + freebie stuff, were getting "overcharged" for a bunch of content (esp. sports) that they never watched in the old way.
Yep, the days of sports fans being subsidized by everyone else are coming to an end. Time for us to pay for those insane TV deals.

I don't hate the Heath news, but don't love it.

Any GM can bring in players who don't perform well, but how do you respond to correct those mistakes?

Bringing back Danladi is one curious move in my opinion.

I don't hate the Heath news, but don't love it.

Any GM can bring in players who don't perform well, but how do you respond to correct those mistakes?

Bringing back Danladi is one curious move in my opinion.
For me it’s a double whammy because is the coach and the gm. He picks the players and coaches them and he doesn’t do a good job at either

For me it’s a double whammy because is the coach and the gm. He picks the players and coaches them and he doesn’t do a good job at either

I think he did a fine job coaching the first 2 years considering the GM at the time gave him an embarrassingly weak roster to begin with.

Our peak of the western finals wasn't anything to be ashamed about and it looked like we were still building to get better than that, but since then it's been a slow start to the season last year which put us behind the 8-ball, and it's been worse since.

Losing Molino has proven a bigger issue than previously expected and our left side attack hasn't been the same offensively since Gasper was out / traded.

I can't blame Heath for the first couple years and the next year or two was good, but the last year and a half has been really disappointing.

Great response tonight. Score a goal then heath does his usual park the bus and we give up 2 in the last 10 minutes. This club is toast. We can only hope the rest of the year goes so poorly that bill let’s him go before the extension kicks in. Good players will not want to come here with this current setup

Top Bottom