All Things MN United Season Thread

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
Per @RoseGoldy, here's a thread for all us "Loon-a-ticks". Lots happin' in the off-season, and the new season isn't too far away. Go Loons !!!

Last season left a bad taste in my mouth. We played so damn inconsistently. When everyone is healthy and clicking, we can beat anyone in the league. Come on you Loons! Here's hoping for another forward and defender depth

Have we heard updates on Reynoso and his legal issues with the alleged assault?

I see they drafted someone yesterday but no idea on if he's good or not.

Have we heard updates on Reynoso and his legal issues with the alleged assault?

I see they drafted someone yesterday but no idea on if he's good or not.
He’ll be here for preseason. While the details are vague apparently it was one of his friends that pistol whipped the guy and there’s not enough evidence to proceed with charges. Sad case of guy that made it out of tough neighborhood but can’t shake some of the negative influences.

as for draft, mls is like baseball and hockey where it’s a crapshoot and it’s very rare for them to contribute to the first team right away. That said, he seems like a good player

saw an article the other day where Heath said they could add "2 or 3" more players by the start of the season. I think they have at least one slot open for a "designated player."

hey - just saw this on the Strib:

Minnesota United coach Adrian Heath on Tuesday promised more changes coming soon and two days later, the club brought back its former 2017 No. 1 overall draft pick Abu Danladi after two seasons away.

The Loons signed Danladi, 26, on Thursday to a one-year contract with a one-year club option after he spent those last two seasons with Nashville SC.

Nashville claimed him in the November 2019 expansion draft.

He scored three goals in 25 games in all competitions after he scored 11 goals in 67 games during his first three MLS seasons with the Loons.

He was the first player taken in the 2017 draft — out of UCLA.

The Loons also are working on bringing back another striker, Luis Amarilla, as well.

Amarilla played one season with Minnesota United, in a injury- and COVID-19 shortened season before he returned to play in Ecuador last season.

The Loons also in recent days have added South African international Bongokuhle Hlongwane as part of MLS new Under-22 initiative and drafted 6-2 forward Tani Oluwaseyi in Tuesday's SuperDraft.

and from another article:

Heath said his team needs two more defenders, too: a fullback who can play both outside positions and another center back who can play understudy to Boxall, Bakaye Dibassy and Kallman for two years.

Slightly off topic, but watching prices for the February Freeze Out sponsored by the USMNT. (Honduras match).

I was emailed about getting in on the drawing and ignored it, figuring I'll just scalp tickets should I want to go. The ticket sites seem to show A LOT of available tickets.
Wonder if that will come close to selling out. Tickets have come down substantially over the last couple weeks.
(Still not cheap)

Slightly off topic, but watching prices for the February Freeze Out sponsored by the USMNT. (Honduras match).

I was emailed about getting in on the drawing and ignored it, figuring I'll just scalp tickets should I want to go. The ticket sites seem to show A LOT of available tickets.
Wonder if that will come close to selling out. Tickets have come down substantially over the last couple weeks.
(Still not cheap)
They're afraid of the cold.

(Still not cheap)
I’d say day of game there could be some bargains, especially if colder than average. As exciting this is to have a wcq game here, this climate doesn’t do anyone any favors.

saw an article the other day where Heath said they could add "2 or 3" more players by the start of the season. I think they have at least one slot open for a "designated player."

hey - just saw this on the Strib:

Minnesota United coach Adrian Heath on Tuesday promised more changes coming soon and two days later, the club brought back its former 2017 No. 1 overall draft pick Abu Danladi after two seasons away.

The Loons signed Danladi, 26, on Thursday to a one-year contract with a one-year club option after he spent those last two seasons with Nashville SC.

Nashville claimed him in the November 2019 expansion draft.

He scored three goals in 25 games in all competitions after he scored 11 goals in 67 games during his first three MLS seasons with the Loons.

He was the first player taken in the 2017 draft — out of UCLA.

The Loons also are working on bringing back another striker, Luis Amarilla, as well.

Amarilla played one season with Minnesota United, in a injury- and COVID-19 shortened season before he returned to play in Ecuador last season.

The Loons also in recent days have added South African international Bongokuhle Hlongwane as part of MLS new Under-22 initiative and drafted 6-2 forward Tani Oluwaseyi in Tuesday's SuperDraft.

and from another article:

Heath said his team needs two more defenders, too: a fullback who can play both outside positions and another center back who can play understudy to Boxall, Bakaye Dibassy and Kallman for two years.
Amarilla is a good pickup. He plays for a very good team in Ecuador that regularly competes in copa libertadores. Assuming that goes though, defender depth is my main concern. I’m holding out hope that Hunou will have a better year ala robin lod

It almost seemed like things were starting to click for Hunou.

I'm not crazy excited about Danladi coming back.
Amarilla would be good if he plays like he's healthy.

It almost seemed like things were starting to click for Hunou.

I'm not crazy excited about Danladi coming back.
Amarilla would be good if he plays like he's healthy.
Hunou did improve. A full year under his built on a new team, in a new country, could make all the difference.

Amarilla just signed with a Uruguayan club so he won't be here. That kind of sours my outlook as we still need some forward help and Danladi isn't going to cut it

big preview article today in the Strib. Heath again said he still wants to add more players and they are working on some deals. said they want to wind up younger and faster.

hard to believe the regular season starts in late February. the fans will have to be well-insulated, or well-lubricated.

big preview article today in the Strib. Heath again said he still wants to add more players and they are working on some deals. said they want to wind up younger and faster.

hard to believe the regular season starts in late February. the fans will have to be well-insulated, or well-lubricated.

I’ll be there in Philly for the opener. Weather will probably be bad but I’m fired up for the season

Reynoso is en route to the states today. Also amarilla signing close! (Again)

Reynoso is en route to the states today. Also amarilla signing close! (Again)
He needs to sign soon and be here. The Loons can't have guys arriving mid-season again. They need the squad together in preseason for training, and acclimating to the country and the cold.

Not sure about everyone else but I have a bad feeling about this season. I think we miss the playoffs and Heath is finally canned.

Not sure about everyone else but I have a bad feeling about this season. I think we miss the playoffs and Heath is finally canned.
I don't know. I think Hunou will be better.

If they get Arriaga and Amarilla signed and in camp after WC qualifiers in February, I could see them doing very well.

There are a lot of ifs. I can see your scenario, and I can see how they could be really good.

I don't know. I think Hunou will be better.

If they get Arriaga and Amarilla signed and in camp after WC qualifiers in February, I could see them doing very well.

There are a lot of ifs. I can see your scenario, and I can see how they could be really good.
Agree with all above sentiments. The loons have to talent to beat anyone in the league on an given day, they also have shown they can play awful (even with man advantage!!). I think Arriaga and amarilla will be big boosts for us. I say we are playoff bound

Great news! The Loons need both of them to start the year. Get them here ASAP!

This is great news. Hoping we get them both as soon as the international break ends

Here's hoping they don't tune into the Feb 2nd game and decide Minny's too cold to come...

1643408903516.png

I know this isn't a USMNT thread nor do I want one but wow, they were awful today. I miss Jürgen Klinsmann and the 2014 guys that made up for lack of talent with desire and physicality.

Amarilla is pretty much official. Arriaga should be here before he leave for Portland. No excuses this season. We have to play better, more consistently and score goals.

Top Bottom