All Things Jaxon Howard Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Have Offered)

Coach Ben should be contacting, perhaps?

Also . . .

Pele 5 8
Cher 5 9
Bono 5 6

i-see-what-you-did-there-steve-carell.gif

Howard made a big decision. Chose to skip a baseball game to participate in sections for track. He placed 1st in shot put. Discus is tomorrow.

I'm skeptical if this guy actually has "sources" or knows anything. It seems like a basic take to think that Miami would be #1 because of all the NIL money they've been throwing around. I'm still more optimistic with Jaxon than I've been with most top MN recruits in previous years.

I'm skeptical if this guy actually has "sources" or knows anything. It seems like a basic take to think that Miami would be #1 because of all the NIL money they've been throwing around. I'm still more optimistic with Jaxon than I've been with most top MN recruits in previous years.
Well Miami's big NIL donor isn't having the best time:

We'll see how that all plays out...

I'm skeptical of his sources as well, but I've posted before that I think it'll be between Miami and Minnesota. NIL is not the deciding factor either, but it is another thing that could help.

The two coaching staffs Howard seems to be the most comfortable with are Minnesota and Miami. Oregon was a major factor when Cristobal was there and Miami wasn't, but now that has changed since he departed for Miami. Howard almost committed to a school back in December, and I believe that was going to be Oregon.

Overall Minnesota is in a good spot, but I do believe Miami is the frontrunner with the Gophers currently 2nd due to his relationship with Cristobal and possibly wanting to get away from home. NIL would just be a cherry on top.

Looks like it could be the ultimate pump and dump scam.

I wonder if the players can sue the companies or people if they get stiffed on their NILs.
Which is probably why it makes a ton more sense, as a recruit, to sign a "NIL deal" with a collective, rather than a specific company. If that company goes bankrupt, or just plain reneges on the deal ... what are you going to do about it??

Granted, signing a "NIL deal" with a collective, is barely any different than pay-for-play. Mainly, just boosters funding the salaries, instead of the school's athletic dept. Just accounting games.

Which is probably why it makes a ton more sense, as a recruit, to sign a "NIL deal" with a collective, rather than a specific company. If that company goes bankrupt, or just plain reneges on the deal ... what are you going to do about it??

Granted, signing a "NIL deal" with a collective, is barely any different than pay-for-play. Mainly, just boosters funding the salaries, instead of the school's athletic dept. Just accounting games.

Where’s Luther Campbell when you need him?

I’m skeptical as well. After listening to one of the podcasts where he was butchering names and the positions they play I lost faith and removed the podcast from my library.

per Randy:

The program's "Summer Splash'' weekend starts Friday will bring in about 30 recruits, including Cooper star Jaxon Howard, and hopes to build on a solid 2023 class.

So far, Fleck and Co. are putting together a strong class, according to Allen Trieu, a national recruiting analyst for 247Sports. Minnesota has nine players committed to the 2023 group, which ranks 22nd nationally and sixth in the Big Ten in the 247Sports composite ratings of major recruiting services. While those ratings will change as teams add commitments, it's an early improvement from Minnesota's 18-player 2022 class, which ranked 49th nationally and last in the Big Ten after the late signing period in February.

"This class is going to be stronger in terms of the rankings,'' Trieu said. "In recruiting we often grade it on who commits and who signs, which is obviously the bottom line, but if you also look at the type of players they're getting to campus, who is considering them, they're doing an exceptional job.''

The Gophers' most coveted target who'll make his official visit this weekend is Cooper's Jaxon Howard, a four-star recruit who's listed in the athlete category and projects as a defensive lineman but also plays tight end for the Hawks. Howard, 6-4 and 245 pounds, is the top-ranked player in Minnesota in the 247Sports composite. He has narrowed his choice to four programs and will visit each, beginning with the Gophers and followed by Michigan (June 17), LSU (June 21) and Miami of Florida (June 24).

"He's been to a lot of places and looked at a lot of different schools, and he's never once forgotten about Minnesota. He's always made his way back,'' Trieu said. "You still have to feel good about being in the game at least. It's going to be a tough battle — Minnesota knows that. I don't think anybody thinks Minnesota's the favorite, but they do think Minnesota's still hanging around and giving themselves a puncher's chance.''

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

The program's "Summer Splash'' weekend starts Friday will bring in about 30 recruits, including Cooper star Jaxon Howard, and hopes to build on a solid 2023 class.

So far, Fleck and Co. are putting together a strong class, according to Allen Trieu, a national recruiting analyst for 247Sports. Minnesota has nine players committed to the 2023 group, which ranks 22nd nationally and sixth in the Big Ten in the 247Sports composite ratings of major recruiting services. While those ratings will change as teams add commitments, it's an early improvement from Minnesota's 18-player 2022 class, which ranked 49th nationally and last in the Big Ten after the late signing period in February.

"This class is going to be stronger in terms of the rankings,'' Trieu said. "In recruiting we often grade it on who commits and who signs, which is obviously the bottom line, but if you also look at the type of players they're getting to campus, who is considering them, they're doing an exceptional job.''

The Gophers' most coveted target who'll make his official visit this weekend is Cooper's Jaxon Howard, a four-star recruit who's listed in the athlete category and projects as a defensive lineman but also plays tight end for the Hawks. Howard, 6-4 and 245 pounds, is the top-ranked player in Minnesota in the 247Sports composite. He has narrowed his choice to four programs and will visit each, beginning with the Gophers and followed by Michigan (June 17), LSU (June 21) and Miami of Florida (June 24).

"He's been to a lot of places and looked at a lot of different schools, and he's never once forgotten about Minnesota. He's always made his way back,'' Trieu said. "You still have to feel good about being in the game at least. It's going to be a tough battle — Minnesota knows that. I don't think anybody thinks Minnesota's the favorite, but they do think Minnesota's still hanging around and giving themselves a puncher's chance.''

Go Gophers!!
What happened to the Other U?

Could he be a silent verbal? If he committed I think other highly rated recruits would follow his lead.

This recruitment of the top mn player.... Just feels different...
Agreed. I think we’re in a good spot.

Also though, if he ends up deciding not to come here, I’m gonna hate reading all the “he was just stringing us along” comments. Obviously nobody knows besides him, but it really does feel like he’s legitimately considering us, even if he does ultimately decide somewhere else is a better fit.

Why would anybody? Maybe he wants to go on some trips. Not saying he’s a silent verbal just raising the possibility with all his enthusiastic tweets about the Gophers.

Top Bottom