All Things Jaxon Howard Recruitment Thread (Class of 2023, Gophers Have Offered)

The Penn State Game gave all we've got to a visiting recruit no matter where he's from.

Still shy 5000 butts-in-the-seat as I recall but it was electric from before the start to after the finish.

Sure, other places may have "it" more than the Gophers but that was a heck of a gameday.

Glad he saw it and has it to compare. Can't ask for anything more...
Actually it was 1000 people over capacity.

can i just ask why in the hell he would go to K State out of all those offers and based upon where he's from? Seems like a real bizarre selection out of all the places

Obviously I'm hoping he ends up a Gopher but I believe Jaxon Howards brother is Phoenix Sproles who plays at NDSU and would have been recruited by Coach Kleiman and coached for a year before he moved on to Kansas State.

Actually it was 1000 people over capacity.
I'd love that clarification to be the case. I'd heard the turnstyle count was shy about 5000, but the standing room only "seats" were about that number on top of the sellout.

Regardless, a fantastic atmosphere, ending, and post-win celebration. I'm glad we were there. Plus I'm glad this 'crut was there.

Assistant coach at UCLA said he is a generational talent that will be offered by everyone.

4.0 student and rated #1 TE in the class. Its going to be difficult to get him to stay home, I’m afraid.

Can't rule anything out. We'll see how we grow as a team in the next couple years.

4.0 student and rated #1 TE in the class. Its going to be difficult to get him to stay home, I’m afraid.

This seems so fitting for the 5-star conversation going on in the 2021 recruiting forum. Maybe this will be right about the time they start coming in...?

This seems so fitting for the 5-star conversation going on in the 2021 recruiting forum. Maybe this will be right about the time they start coming in...?

Well, it would make it a lot easier for his large family to attend games....

If he is that good and can play anywhere, why not play for the home town team? The Gophers are a team on the rise and need help to get to the next level. His friends and family can see him play. He can increase the Gophers' chances for a National Championship title by helping elevate Gopher recruiting. He will attract other top notch players.

He will be the first Gopher 5-Star player to stay home and lead the Gophers to a path of glory never seen in years.

If he is that good and can play anywhere, why not play for the home town team? The Gophers are a team on the rise and need help to get to the next level. His friends and family can see him play. He can increase the Gophers' chances for a National Championship title by helping elevate Gopher recruiting. He will attract other top notch players.

He will be the first Gopher 5-Star player to stay home and lead the Gophers to a path of glory never seen in years.
I think we’d need to win the West and go to the Rose Bowl this year, then win the conference and go to the CFP for the 2022 season, to be in the conversation for a legit 5*. And at that point, Fleck can probably pick his school.

So ... let’s do it, and keep Fleck, and land Jaxon !!!!!

I think we’d need to win the West and go to the Rose Bowl this year, then win the conference and go to the CFP for the 2022 season, to be in the conversation for a legit 5*. And at that point, Fleck can probably pick his school.

So ... let’s do it, and keep Fleck, and land Jaxon !!!!!
Not directed at you specifically MPLS, but wanted to use your quote. I have a question regarding a comparison to Clemson say 10 years ago. I know I can look it up but I want to hear peoples' thoughts. They weren't that good before Dabo (good but not bad - similar to PJ taking over for the Kill regime?).

How many years of 8 wins, 9 wins, back to 8, up to 10, back to 8 until he finally turned that corner and got to the top of the mountain. Only talking recruiting. Now they are top 5ish every year. I think PJ is on his way, but it takes time for the recruits to see sustained results and draft picks. Minnesota is close and getting closer.

Not directed at you specifically MPLS, but wanted to use your quote. I have a question regarding a comparison to Clemson say 10 years ago. I know I can look it up but I want to hear peoples' thoughts. They weren't that good before Dabo (good but not bad - similar to PJ taking over for the Kill regime?).

How many years of 8 wins, 9 wins, back to 8, up to 10, back to 8 until he finally turned that corner and got to the top of the mountain. Only talking recruiting. Now they are top 5ish every year. I think PJ is on his way, but it takes time for the recruits to see sustained results and draft picks. Minnesota is close and getting closer.

If they keep getting five players drafted every year, there's no doubt that Gopher Recruiting will get to the next level.

Good seeds have been planted. If we keep watering and carefully pruning and fertilizing, we will be able to see and taste the sweetest fruits.

PJ and staff are the hardest recruiters we have ever seen in Gopher Football. They are worth every penny spent on the program.

If they keep getting five players drafted every year, there's no doubt that Gopher Recruiting will get to the next level.

Good seeds have been planted. If we keep watering and carefully pruning and fertilizing, we will be able to see and taste the sweetest fruits.

PJ and staff are the hardest recruiters we have ever seen in Gopher Football. They are worth every penny spent on the program.

Brother, I agree 100%. I think we as fans are in for a treat within 3 years, if not sooner.

This magic fruit you speak of, could it be grapes that make magic wine? Maybe "Champ"agne?

Here is a handy list of Clemson seasons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clemson_Tigers_football_seasons

They had to contend with Florida State in the earlier 2010's. When FSU stopped being a top 5-10 program, Clemson took over the ACC and never looked back.

Gophers will have to get past Wisconsin, and then Ohio St, to do something similar. Very tough sledding.

Would also say that Clemson is much closer to hotbed of 4*/5* talent.

Here is a handy list of Clemson seasons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clemson_Tigers_football_seasons

They had to contend with Florida State in the earlier 2010's. When FSU stopped being a top 5-10 program, Clemson took over the ACC and never looked back.

Gophers will have to get past Wisconsin, and then Ohio St, to do something similar. Very tough sledding.

Would also say that Clemson is much closer to hotbed of 4*/5* talent.
Sorry to derail the Jaxon thread, so I'll quit after this. Thanks for the info. Looks like Dabo took over midway in 2008. Looks like he took over an average 8-9 win team. Won 9, then 6, then 10. Then it looks like things started coming into place for them. His 3rd full year was pretty good, but after that they hit the big time.

The reason I brought up Clemson, was there a few people on this board that mention Clemson and what Minnesota can do in comparison. I don't see any reason Minnesota cannot take the recruits nationally given the resources and turn into the next Clemson. The right coach, and the right philosophy, along with the support of the state.

The only way is up.

All I can say is, unlike in the NFL where top players go all over the country independently of where their college team is located, in college there is a much stronger statistical bias for kids going to programs relatively close to their high school programs. That hurts Minnesota quite a bit. But Fleck has certainly been able to convince some great players to come here from far away.

All I can say is, unlike in the NFL where top players go all over the country independently of where their college team is located, in college there is a much stronger statistical bias for kids going to programs relatively close to their high school programs. That hurts Minnesota quite a bit. But Fleck has certainly been able to convince some great players to come here from far away.

Sometimes, the best recruiters are the players. Imagine what Jaxon Howard can do.

Also, once a pipeline like Georgia is established I am sure that recruits weigh heavily the opinions of the current Georgia players on the roster.

Sometimes, the best recruiters are the players. Imagine what Jaxon Howard can do.

Also, once a pipeline like Georgia is established I am sure that recruits weigh heavily the opinions of the current Georgia players on the roster.

This kid put us in his top 5 originally back in February. Now has reopened completely. I'm not ruling him out for us. The Bateman factor was definitely pushed hard during his recruitment.

Just throwing out an example of that potential Georgia connection.

We will never be top 5 every year in recruiting and we do not need to be.

Anyone have any info on this young man out of Robbindale-Cooper.
ESPN has him as a 6-4, 240 Athlete as one of the best high school players in the country. This is the first I've heard of him.

Anyone have any info on this young man out of Robbindale-Cooper.
ESPN has him as a 6-4, 240 Athlete as one of the best high school players in the country. This is the first I've heard of him.
His dad is his head coach, very active in the community, he is good for our HS football scene. His dad played with the Vikings shortly, inquired his knee. His son is a big athlete, He was a TE, I do not believe he dominated and scored a bunch of TD's. He did better then the P5 kid Alt who started for 3 years at TE and had 1 TD in three seasons. Three years of part time defense and had like 4 or 5 tackles in his career. His dad was the line coach and they would not play line because he wanted his son to be a TE that runs a 5.6 forty, and he is going to ND.

Last edited:

His dad is his head coach, very active in the community, he is good for our HS football scene. His dad played with the Vikings shortly, inquired his knee. His son is a big athlete, He was a TE, I do not believe he dominated and scored a bunch of TD's. He did better the P5 kid Alt who started for 3 years at TE and had 1 TD in three seasons. Three years of part time defense and had like 4 or 5 tackles in his career. His dad was the line coach and they would not play line because he wanted his son to be a TE that runs a 5.6 forty, and he is going to ND
His dad is his head coach, very active in the community, he is good for our HS football scene. His dad played with the Vikings shortly, inquired his knee. His son is a big athlete, He was a TE, I do not believe he dominated and scored a bunch of TD's. He did better the P5 kid Alt who started for 3 years at TE and had 1 TD in three seasons. Three years of part time defense and had like 4 or 5 tackles in his career. His dad was the line coach and they would not play line because he wanted his son to be a TE that runs a 5.6 forty, and he is going to
I wonder if Coach Willie Howard is related to an Al Howard?

Top Bottom