All Things Hate Crimes in America

Section2

Reaction score
Dang, this is awful and close to home

USAF

Reaction score
Update: it was another hoax. I thought this time it was for sure real.
The headline says "hoax, " but not the actual story.

The messages were sent. The fact they were sent from a fake account, created by another student, doesn't make it a hoax.

Section2

Reaction score

The messages were sent. The fact they were sent from a fake account, created by another student, doesn't make it a hoax.
I guess you didn’t read the opening sentence in the story.
“the superintendent says the messages were a hoax.” And this was investigated by the FBI.
I think even you might be smart enough to figure out why they are characterizing this as a hoax.

USAF

Reaction score

Can you show me the quote from the superintendent calling it a hoax?

Were the messages sent?

Section2

Reaction score

The headline says “superintendent says messages sent to students of color QUOTE “a hoax”.”
yes, the messages were sent. I’ll let you figure out why the FBI and superintendent consider the messages a hoax.

USAF

Reaction score
The headline says “superintendent says messages sent to students of color QUOTE “a hoax”.”
yes, the messages were sent. I’ll let you figure out why the FBI and superintendent consider the messages a hoax.
Nothing in the superintendent's statement says "hoax."

The writer used that term.

And you, of course.

Section2

Reaction score
Nothing in the superintendent's statement says "hoax."

The writer used that term.

And you, of course.
Please provide a link to where you are reading the superintendents entire statement. If you are going off the article, the author quotes the superintendent as characterizing this as a “hoax”. That’s what the quotes around “hoax” mean. That the superintendent literally said the word hoax.
Now, as a prog, I can see your confusion, and I know Howie often puts quotes around words I didn’t say. But journalists tend to use them correctly.

USAF

Reaction score
Please provide a link to where you are reading the superintendents entire statement. If you are going off the article, the author quotes the superintendent as characterizing this as a “hoax”. That’s what the quotes around “hoax” mean. That the superintendent literally said the word hoax.
Now, as a prog, I can see your confusion, and I know Howie often puts quotes around words I didn’t say. But journalists tend to use them correctly.
Lol. This from a card carrying "can't trust the lib media" crowd.

Section2

Reaction score
Lol. This from a card carrying "can't trust the lib media" crowd.
So can I take it this is a white flag, and you’re admitting I’m right? I know, it really stings. Hopefully Howies “like” eased the pain a bit.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

Here’s a hate crime for you. Funny how their is no mention of the race of either the victim or the two perpetrators unless you watch the video.

Wally

Reaction score

So the person sent the messages to themself?
That would be the only thing that qualifies as a hoax?

Section2

Reaction score
So the person sent the messages to themself?
That would be the only thing that qualifies as a hoax?
I know you guys aren’t very bright, but this is getting a little ridiculous. You really can’t figure it out?
Also, for my dear friend USAF, I found the actual statement, and yep, you’re completely wrong. So sad!

GopherJake

Reaction score
I know you guys aren’t very bright, but this is getting a little ridiculous. You really can’t figure it out?
Also, for my dear friend USAF, I found the actual statement, and yep, you’re completely wrong. So sad!
I'm not taking a position on whether it is or isn't a hoax - and I agree, there have been several high profile hoaxes of this sort. And further, I agree there is a quote from the superintendent that indicates it is a hoax. What I am not seeing is any evidence that it is a hoax. Presumably it exists. But I haven't seen it and you haven't presented any - outside of a single quote. What makes it a hoax? Where is that information? I think I've read everything you linked to here and didn't see it. Perhaps I missed it.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It actually can't be a hoax, because a hoax is defined as a deception that is intended to be humorous or malicious, and it clearly would not be either. It would have been done with the intention of provoking empathy towards anti-racism.

So I'm mostly good with it. 👍

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
It actually can't be a hoax, because a hoax is defined as a deception that is intended to be humorous or malicious, and it clearly would not be either. It would have been done with the intention of provoking empathy towards anti-racism.

So I'm mostly good with it. 👍
Why was it not malicious in nature?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
By the definition of malicious
characterized by malice; intending or intended to do harm.

so if it wasn’t malicious what was the point of the messages? One message said I hope you and your people die like George Floyd. That is not malicious?

PhiloVance

Reaction score
characterized by malice; intending or intended to do harm.

so if it wasn’t malicious what was the point of the messages? One message said I hope you and your people die like George Floyd. That is not malicious?
Who sent the message?

Spoofin

Reaction score
The sun rises, the sun sets, sidekick is wrong. It’s nice that there are certain things you can always count on.

PhiloVance

Reaction score
An unnamed student created a fake account. I don’t think the person sent these messages to bring the school together.
Interesting but because of the fact it was a student we may probably never know who or why. Unfortunately it will lead to speculation

GopherJake

Reaction score
Here’s some actual information - beyond the headlines - for those that have critical thinking skills (i.e., traders may ignore):

White Bear Lake Area High School Students,

Please see the message below, which will be sent to district families from Dr. Kazmierczak shortly.

Thank you,
Ang Nelson, North Campus Principal
Don Bosch, South Campus Principal
Gretchen Harriman, ALC Principal

Subject: Update

White Bear Lake Area Schools community,

Yesterday, we issued a statement and used a word that we deeply regret. We appreciate the students and parents who have shared their reaction to the word “hoax.” We sincerely apologize for the use of that term. In no way do we want to minimize the impact that racism or racist acts has on students and families who have been marginalized throughout history and in White Bear Lake Area Schools. We commit to doing better in the future, as we realize the heartfelt pain that families have shared after reading the statement.

Our school community is continuing to work through the impact of the hurtful and racist posts circulated on social media last week. Our attention is focused on the everyday racism people of color experience in our society, and thus in our schools, every day. The recent incidents have caused a lot of hurt, and our community and leadership team are committed to working together with our students and families toward a safe and respectful culture. We are learning as a community, and we are committed to supporting our students, staff and community in difficult conversations and reflection.

Today, the White Bear Lake City Manager’s Office released a statement on the ongoing investigation. Their update includes the following finding: A juvenile female created the social media account and posted the content. This behavior is a violation of our school district policies and code of conduct related to bullying and harassment. The District will be pursuing disciplinary actions as outlined in school district policy, which will include a recommendation for expulsion for the individual(s) involved with the social media posts.

The City Manager’s report further stated, “The juvenile involved indicated during the investigation that the purpose of their post was to raise awareness of social and racial injustice due to past incidents that occurred at school. We shared this information with the school district and added that the investigating officers believe the juvenile does not pose a physical threat. Nevertheless, the postings have caused tangible fear and alarm throughout our community.”

A feeling of safety is fundamental for learning in our schools. We know that right now some students do not feel safe, and we have to focus on student safety and belonging in our schools. We have an opportunity as a school and a community to come together and acknowledge the harmful impact of racism in our society and the fear that it causes. We must work toward positive societal change. Our district is committed to equity work, and we recognize it will take listening, empathy and community engagement to move forward.

Following an Equity Audit in July, we have an Equity Action Plan and will accelerate implementation. We are committed to:
  • Curriculum that is culturally and racially inclusive
  • Providing professional development to Board members, leaders, teachers and staff members
  • The creation of a Hate Speech policy
  • Working with Equity Alliance Minnesota to provide training around race and race-related incidents
  • Listening, learning and checking our biases while engaging multiple perspectives in making our schools equitable and inclusive environments
We encourage all families and staff to continue to report concerns, reflect on our goals and let us know how you wish to engage in this important work. Only working together can we achieve our mission for every student.

Following is the complete statement released by the White Bear Lake City Manager’s office today:
There have been additional questions following the release of a statement yesterday afternoon by the White Bear Lake School District related to the status of an active investigation involving an Instagram posting that included racially charged threats directed toward students of color. The intent of this statement is to provide as much clarity as possible as we balance the community’s desire for information against our duty to complete a thorough investigation.

With the assistance of the FBI, a juvenile female has been identified as the creator of this anonymous account. It has not yet been determined whether additional individuals contributed to the content of the postings associated with this account. Although the investigation is on-going, it is important that the information we have at this time be shared to help ease fears associated with this particular incident.

The juvenile involved indicated during the investigation that the purpose of their post was to raise awareness of social and racial injustice due to past incidents that occurred at school. We shared this information with the school district and added that the investigating officers believe the juvenile does not pose a physical threat. Nevertheless, the postings have caused tangible fear and alarm throughout our community. It is critical to acknowledge the importance of these conversations related to racial equity and justice affixed to this incident, and to commit to on-going dialogue that leads to meaningful outcomes.

We recognize racism has been present in our district and denounce racism. We know there has been past hurt to our students due to racism, and we take this seriously. We currently have actions in place, and we will continue to accelerate our work to foster an atmosphere free of racism. This is not only our commitment to our students, it’s our commitment to our internal and external community.

We are committed to continuing to work together as we create an environment in which all of our students feel heard and welcomed.

Thank you again for your partnership in supporting our students,

Wayne Kazmierczak, Superintendent

White Bear Lake Area ISD 624 would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact White Bear Lake Area ISD 624 directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students, and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.

Last edited:

PhiloVance

Reaction score
Here’s some actual information - beyond the headlines - for those that have critical thinking skills (i.e., traders may ignore):

Please see the message below, which will be sent to district families from Dr. Kazmierczak shortly.
Thank you,

Yesterday, we issued a statement and used a word that we deeply regret. We appreciate the students and parents who have shared their reaction to the word “hoax.” We sincerely apologize for the use of that term. In no way do we want to minimize the impact that racism or racist acts has on students and families who have been marginalized throughout history and in White Bear Lake Area Schools. We commit to doing better in the future, as we realize the heartfelt pain that families have shared after reading the statement.
Our school community is continuing to work through the impact of the hurtful and racist posts circulated on social media last week. Our attention is focused on the everyday racism people of color experience in our society, and thus in our schools, every day. The recent incidents have caused a lot of hurt, and our community and leadership team are committed to working together with our students and families toward a safe and respectful culture. We are learning as a community, and we are committed to supporting our students, staff and community in difficult conversations and reflection.
Today, the White Bear Lake City Manager’s Office released a statement on the ongoing investigation. Their update includes the following finding: A juvenile female created the social media account and posted the content. This behavior is a violation of our school district policies and code of conduct related to bullying and harassment. The District will be pursuing disciplinary actions as outlined in school district policy, which will include a recommendation for expulsion for the individual(s) involved with the social media posts.
The City Manager’s report further stated, “The juvenile involved indicated during the investigation that the purpose of their post was to raise awareness of social and racial injustice due to past incidents that occurred at school. We shared this information with the school district and added that the investigating officers believe the juvenile does not pose a physical threat. Nevertheless, the postings have caused tangible fear and alarm throughout our community.”
A feeling of safety is fundamental for learning in our schools. We know that right now some students do not feel safe, and we have to focus on student safety and belonging in our schools. We have an opportunity as a school and a community to come together and acknowledge the harmful impact of racism in our society and the fear that it causes. We must work toward positive societal change. Our district is committed to equity work, and we recognize it will take listening, empathy and community engagement to move forward.
Following an Equity Audit in July, we have an Equity Action Plan and will accelerate implementation. We are committed to:
  • Providing professional development to Board members, leaders, teachers and staff members
  • Working with Equity Alliance Minnesota to provide training around race and race-related incidents
  • Listening, learning and checking our biases while engaging multiple perspectives in making our schools equitable and inclusive environments
We encourage all families and staff to continue to report concerns, reflect on our goals and let us know how you wish to engage in this important work. Only working together can we achieve our mission for every student.
Following is the complete statement released by the White Bear Lake City Manager’s office today:
There have been additional questions following the release of a statement yesterday afternoon by the White Bear Lake School District related to the status of an active investigation involving an Instagram posting that included racially charged threats directed toward students of color. The intent of this statement is to provide as much clarity as possible as we balance the community’s desire for information against our duty to complete a thorough investigation.
With the assistance of the FBI, a juvenile female has been identified as the creator of this anonymous account. It has not yet been determined whether additional individuals contributed to the content of the postings associated with this account. Although the investigation is on-going, it is important that the information we have at this time be shared to help ease fears associated with this particular incident.
The juvenile involved indicated during the investigation that the purpose of their post was to raise awareness of social and racial injustice due to past incidents that occurred at school. We shared this information with the school district and added that the investigating officers believe the juvenile does not pose a physical threat. Nevertheless, the postings have caused tangible fear and alarm throughout our community. It is critical to acknowledge the importance of these conversations related to racial equity and justice affixed to this incident, and to commit to on-going dialogue that leads to meaningful outcomes.
We recognize racism has been present in our district and denounce racism. We know there has been past hurt to our students due to racism, and we take this seriously. We currently have actions in place, and we will continue to accelerate our work to foster an atmosphere free of racism. This is not only our commitment to our students, it’s our commitment to our internal and external community.
We are committed to continuing to work together as we create an environment in which all of our students feel heard and welcomed.

White Bear Lake Area ISD 624 would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact White Bear Lake Area ISD 624 directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students, and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.
So what there saying is the fake msgs worked...that will teach kids what will happen if they send out fake msgs.

Wally

Reaction score
So if a Black kid sends messages from an anonymous account to other black kids saying they are going to kill all blacks, is that any less traumatic than if a white kid did it?

Like if I pointed a gun at your head, said I am going to blow your head off, pulled the trigger and click, no bullet, we would all sit around laughing about my funny hoax.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

Thank you,

Wow so even if it’s entirely fake we still need to treat it as real. What a batshit world we live in.

Top Bottom