All things Derek Chauvin trial

Wally

Reaction score
That faulty study assumes all people commit violent crime at & have police interactions at the same rate, which is incorrect. Roughly 50% of all homicides & 60% of violent assaults are committed by Black people. Only 33% of police shootings are Black people. Black people are actually under-represented in terms of police shootings proportionate to the % of violent crime they commit.
Are you sure interactions with police are actually proportional to the crime you commit?
You need to prove that.

I have a long time rule I try to follow, only break one law at a time. I will teach my kids that one at the appropriate age.

If you have a dead body in the trunk, for gods sake make sure your lights all work and don't speed!!!
😎😎😎

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Are you sure interactions with police are actually proportional to the crime you commit?
You need to prove that.

I have a long time rule I try to follow, only break one law at a time. I will teach my kids that one at the appropriate age.

If you have a dead body in the trunk, for gods sake make sure your lights all work and don't speed!!!
😎😎😎

on a local level, it never fails to amuse me how often the local city police and county deputies stop a car for a relatively minor offense - tail light out - not signalling a lane change - and the driver turns out to be drunk or high - often with drugs and/or paraphernalia in the vehicle. a significant % of the time, the driver either has a suspended or revoked license.

how stupid do you have to be - knowing you don't have a valid license - to be A. driving impaired and B. committing minor traffic violations. might as well just slap an "ARREST ME" sign on the side of the car.

off-topic, but the other day (this is in a city of about 4,700 people), they found a guy "squatting" in a Pro-Shed display unit next to the municipal liquor store. I guess times are tough.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
merlin_62572757.jpg

ABC NEWS/GOOD MORNING AMERICA VIA AP
In this image from video, juror Brandon Mitchell shared his experiences Wednesday of being on the Derek Chauvin jury.

MINNEAPOLIS — A juror who cast one of the unanimous votes to convict a white former Minneapolis police officer of killing George Floyd said deliberations were primarily spent trying to convince one person who was uncertain about part of the jury instructions.
Brandon Mitchell is the first juror that deliberated in Derek Chauvin's trial to talk publicly about his experience. An alternate juror who was dismissed before deliberations, Lisa Christensen, spoke to reporters last week, saying she would have voted to convict Chauvin.
"I felt like it should have been 20 minutes," Mitchell, 31, said of the deliberations, which led to Chauvin's conviction April 20 on all counts: second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
Mitchell, who is Black, told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday that much of the time in deliberations was spent going over terminology and "making sure we understood what exactly was being asked." The identities of jurors and alternates are protected under a judge's order.
"I think the one juror that was kind of — I wouldn't say slowing us down — but was being delicate with the process, more so, was just kind of hung up with a few words in the instructions. They wanted to make sure they got it right," Mitchell said.
Mitchell, who first shared his story with gospel artist Erica Campbell on her podcast, wrote in his jury questionnaire he wanted to serve as a juror "because of all the protests and everything that happened after the event. This is the most historic case of my lifetime, and I would love to be a part of it."
Mitchell speculated that he was picked for the jury because he was mild mannered. He said the images during the trial trouble him.
"It was just dark. It felt like every day was a funeral and watching someone die every day," Mitchell told CNN. "It was tense every day. I wasn't nervous, but it was stressful. It was a lot of pressure."
Prosecutors said Chauvin pinned Floyd, a Black man, to the pavement outside Cup Foods in Minneapolis for 9 minutes, 29 seconds on May 25. Floyd had been accused of passing a counterfeit $20 bill at the store. Three other officers, since fired, face trial in August.
Prosecutors played a wide range of videos for the jury, including teenager Darnella Frazier's bystander video that was seen worldwide in the hours after Floyd's death. That video and the officers' body camera video captured bystanders shouting at Chauvin and the other officers to get off Floyd, warning that they were cutting off his breathing and asking them to check for a pulse.
Mitchell told "Good Morning America" that he didn't think the jury was affected by tensions in Minneapolis or concerns about what effect their verdicts would have. Floyd's death triggered worldwide protests, violence at times and a furious reexamination of racism and policing in the U.S.
"We weren't watching the news, so we don't know what was going on. We were really just locked in on the case. There was so much stress coming through the case. Those things are so secondary because you're literally, throughout the trial you're watching someone die on a daily basis. That stress alone is enough to take your mind away from whatever's going on outside of the four walls of the courtroom," he said.
Mitchell also said he thought Chauvin hurt himself by choosing not to testify.
"It probably was to his detriment that he didn't take the stand because people were curious on what his thoughts were throughout the entire incident," he said.
In the wake of the attention and weighty deliberations, Mitchell said he has been decompressing.
"I'm starting to feel like the weight is lifted off my shoulders now," Mitchell told Campbell.
Mitchell also said he doesn't worry about his safety for breaking his silence.
"I'm a person that kind of thrives in the positives. So I'm not too much concerned about that. Nor do I dwell on negativity," he told "CBS This Morning."

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

this could be an issue. My favorite part is about the t-shirt he was wearing.

Mitchell, 31, acknowledged being at the event and that his uncle posted the photo, but said he doesn’t recall wearing or owning the shirt.

I know I often wear clothes i don’t own and then forget I wore them.

stocker08

Reaction score

this could be an issue. My favorite part is about the t-shirt he was wearing.

Mitchell, 31, acknowledged being at the event and that his uncle posted the photo, but said he doesn’t recall wearing or owning the shirt.

I know I often wear clothes i don’t own and then forget I wore them.

Contempt of court or obstruction of justice? Throw the book at this moron.

PhiloVance

Reaction score
Could his statement be used to appeal the Verdict!

Juror in Chauvin Trial Makes Potentially Problematic Statements on Morning Show​

“I mean it’s important if we wanna see some change, we wanna see some things going different, we gotta get out there, get out into these avenues, get into these rooms to try to spark some change,” he said. “Jury duty is one of those things. Jury duty. Voting. All of those things we gotta do.”

stocker08

Reaction score
Could his statement be used to appeal the Verdict!

Juror in Chauvin Trial Makes Potentially Problematic Statements on Morning Show​

“I mean it’s important if we wanna see some change, we wanna see some things going different, we gotta get out there, get out into these avenues, get into these rooms to try to spark some change,” he said. “Jury duty is one of those things. Jury duty. Voting. All of those things we gotta do.”

No idea. It's highly unlikely that this guy had influence to the point of swaying the verdict....but this is certainly an issue. Have to think he's going to have some legal issues. Probably rightfully so.

PhiloVance

Reaction score
No idea. It's highly unlikely that this guy had influence to the point of swaying the verdict....but this is certainly an issue. Have to think he's going to have some legal issues. Probably rightfully so.
Unfortunately he was selected as a jurist.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Nothing was ever going to get in the way of this freight train. Not the jury, not the judge, not the prosecution, not even the defense. This has always been about getting to the appeal. Not one single person in this first go-around was going to say or do anything that would be second-guessed or get their house firebombed. Keep it moving, keep it moving, get it to the jury and get the heck out.

GopherJake

Reaction score
For what? I remember this guy during jury selection. He answered everything honestly, as far as I can tell, including the questionnaire. I was very surprised Nelson didn't strike him after his comments in support of BLM. That was a mistake. But it was disclosed and Nelson didn't ask enough questions to get to the heart of the matter. He should have been struck by the defense.

As far as PD's comments: Dumb. This will not be overturned on appeal.

stocker08

Reaction score
For what? I remember this guy during jury selection. He answered everything honestly, as far as I can tell, including the questionnaire. I was very surprised Nelson didn't strike him after his comments in support of BLM. That was a mistake. But it was disclosed and Nelson didn't ask enough questions to get to the heart of the matter. He should have been struck by the defense.

As far as PD's comments: Dumb. This will not be overturned on appeal.

I was under the impression that he lied during the selection process. I mean....isn't one of the typical questions along the lines of whether the individual has an inclination towards a particular outcome?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Overturned? Who knows. All of it?
The only possibility is that the 3rd Degree murder is overturned due to the Noor case. But that is inconsequential. He will not win any of his appeals. He is going to prison. I will guess for 19 years - upward departure from standard 12.5 years. That's a pure guess, though. Could definitely get standard.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
The only possibility is that the 3rd Degree murder is overturned due to the Noor case. But that is inconsequential. He will not win any of his appeals. He is going to prison. I will guess for 19 years - upward departure from standard 12.5 years.
Depending on who he gets for defense counsel and where the trial takes place, and how long from now it is, I would be a little surprised if 2nd Deg Murder isn't tossed. Virtually every legal mind I heard discuss the issue says the judge should have bounced that early in the process. I don't have a dog in the fight, I didn't watch a minute of the trial, just don't care. It's a little surprising so many did care to be honest, at least outside of the MSP area.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Depending on who he gets for defense counsel and where the trial takes place, and how long from now it is, I would be a little surprised if 2nd Deg Murder isn't tossed. Virtually every legal mind I heard discuss the issue says the judge should have bounced that early in the process. I don't have a dog in the fight, I didn't watch a minute of the trial, just don't care. It's a little surprising so many did care to be honest, at least outside of the MSP area.
What trial?

2nd degree murder will not be overturned. There is zero basis for that.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Just a follow-up here. I suggest anyone actually interested in the facts here should watch the coverage of this matter on CourtTV. You can load this content free on Roku- the CourtTV app. The particular content is labeled “5/4/21 Chauvin Defense Files Motion for New Trial.” Also “”5/4/21 Chauvin Juror Photographed Wearing BLM shirt at DC March.”

Guessing this same content is available elsewhere, but this is how I have followed it all. They had “gavel-to-gavel” coverage during the trial.

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score
Just a follow-up here. I suggest anyone actually interested in the facts here should watch the coverage of this matter on CourtTV. You can load this content free on Roku- the CourtTV app. The particular content is labeled “5/4/21 Chauvin Defense Files Motion for New Trial.” Also “”5/4/21 Chauvin Juror Photographed Wearing BLM shirt at DC March.”

Guessing this same content is available elsewhere, but this is how I have followed it all. They had “gavel-to-gavel” coverage during the trial.
I don’t know, but certainly hope the verdict won’t ever change. Chauvin in where he belongs, IMO. That said, that juror, wearing that shirt, with his only defense being “I don’t remember that shirt” makes me very confident that particular juror was not open minded in the least about the trial. I’m not sure I care, but that much is clear.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Yesterday, Judge Cahill finds 4 of the the 5 aggravating factors cited by the prosecution team to have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, clearing the way for an upward departure in sentencing from the guideline 12.5 year sentence. A CourtTV analyst said that intentional murder carries a standard 25 year sentence in MN and he wondered aloud if Cahill might exceed even that.

The four aggravating factors considered proven were:

1. Chauvin abused his position of trust and authority as an officer.
2. Chauvin treated George Floyd with "particular cruelty"
3. Children present
4. Chauvin committed the crime with "the active participation of at least three other persons."

I found it surprising that Chauvin waived his right to have a jury consider these factors, instead choosing the judge. I believe that has been proven to be a mistake with this ruling.

Also, today, the trial of the other 3 officers has been postponed from the originally scheduled Aug 23, 2021 date to March 8, 2022 - which, coincidentally, is exactly one year to the day from the start of the Chauvin trial. Cahill decided the pending Federal case should precede the state case. One analyst speculated that the end motivation for Cahill's ruling is that he would like a plea deal and allowing the Federal case to go first would inform that plea deal.

Another item discussed at today's hearing (with the other 3 officers, not Chauvin) was a defense motion about prosecutorial misconduct associated with the leaking of the plea deal Chauvin had agreed to, before being blocked. The defense was granted the ability to proceed on the matter, potentially leading to a hearing where prosecutors could be forced to testify. It was noted that the defense attorneys were MUCH more fiery today than Eric Nelson was during the Chauvin proceedings and that had TV cameras been present, it would have made for compelling TV.

Final note: CourtTV's Chanley Painter is well-spoken and hot.

Top Bottom