All things corrupt media thread

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
on the media -

my point of view is that Fox News and MSNBC are not the real problem. They have a clear point of view (or bias) and anyone with a functioning IQ can understand that, and choose whether or not to watch them.

The problem is that the other traditional media sources have gotten away from straight reporting and gotten into this mish-mash of news, opinion and commentary.

if there was a clear, non-biased or straight-forward alternative to the 'advocacy' media outlets, I think a lot of people would go to those sites.

But, it's gotten harder and harder to find news sites that offer old-fashioned reporting.

and, my feeling is that the real issue is not with "liberal" or "conservative" news - it's with the new school of reporting that emphasizes conflict over context.

with all the coverage over the Infrastructure Bill and the larger spending bill, I bet that less than 10% of the public could correctly offer a factual account of what is included in those bills. the media doesn't care about the content of the bills. all they care about is the horse-race aspect of "which side wins and which side loses."
There are non-biased alternatives and they are podcasts. It’s why they’ve become more popular than msm.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
There are non-biased alternatives and they are podcasts. It’s why they’ve become more popular than msm.
This, 100%.

I heard an interview a year or so ago, on a podcast, with a very intelligent individual, very thoughtful, and very well-versed on the current state of the media and 'news' in our country. Unfortunately I forget his name but when he asked what it's going to take to get past this, if it's at all possible.

His answer was "fracturization"; multiple sources, podcasts, springing up, gaining momentum and popularity that people can use to actually for sources of information now that the primary sources are generally garbage and shit. Too many to be shouted down and silenced by the powers that be.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
This, 100%.

I heard an interview a year or so ago, on a podcast, with a very intelligent individual, very thoughtful, and very well-versed on the current state of the media and 'news' in our country. Unfortunately I forget his name but when he asked what it's going to take to get past this, if it's at all possible.

His answer was "fracturization"; multiple sources, podcasts, springing up, gaining momentum and popularity that people can use to actually for sources of information now that the primary sources are generally garbage and shit. Too many to be shouted down and silenced by the powers that be.

This is why the msm tries so hard to bring down podcasts like Rogans. He says very little that’s controversial, but he has guests on both sides of the aisle.

If you only believed the msm narrative of him, you’d think he’s bat shit crazy. But he remains widely popular because if you actually listen to the podcasts, you know he’s one of the few people who embraces different opinions.

Spoofin

Reaction score
You guys are all brainwashed by special interests who have been pushing your shit out for decades thru think tanks and economics departments.

Greed wins for you, you are a hero...
Brainwashed to believe what? I don’t want people penalized for being successful. You think anyone rich is “privileged” and are too jealous to realize the vast majority earned it. Wally’s idea of a just society doesn’t appreciate intelligence and hard work.

Spoofin

Reaction score
This is why the msm tries so hard to bring down podcasts like Rogans. He says very little that’s controversial, but he has guests on both sides of the aisle.

If you only believed the msm narrative of him, you’d think he’s bat shit crazy. But he remains widely popular because if you actually listen to the podcasts, you know he’s one of the few people who embraces different opinions.
I was told on here that he is a right-wing shock jock. 🤷‍♂️

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I was told on here that he is a right-wing shock jock. 🤷‍♂️
You can be completely apolitical for a decade but if you step out of line just ONCE, this is the branding you get. But I'm constantly told here that pointing out the strength and bias of the media is 'whining'.

Angry

Reaction score
Brainwashed to believe what? I don’t want people penalized for being successful. You think anyone rich is “privileged” and are too jealous to realize the vast majority earned it. Wally’s idea of a just society doesn’t appreciate intelligence and hard work.
One guy I’ve known since we were kids whose now worth a few million (nothing crazy but still) was dirt poor throughout his 20’s but kept working hard, doing the right things and it finally happened for him. Most millionaires spend time in all tax brackets. There’s data that supports this.

Wally

Reaction score
Yea Bezos earned it all.

You can't make your bullshit up.
Wally’s idea of a just society doesn’t appreciate intelligence and hard work.
Not at all.
These people would still be rediculusly wealthy and successful.

You think inheriting massive wealth is a demonstration of intelligence and hard work?

Last edited:

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yea Bezos earned it all.

You can't make your bullshit up.
More nonsense with you.
A) I didn’t say everyone earned it, I said the vast majority did.
B) Bezos was not born into wealth, you fool
You think inheriting massive wealth is a demonstration of intelligence and hard work?
More nonsense from you. I never said that. Only like 1/4 of those on the Forbes 400 list inherited their wealth - so yeah, the vast majority got there by intelligence and/or hard work. The fact you think the government is entitled to their money upon death is where lack of intelligence comes in here.

howeda7

Reaction score

How is he being "brought down"?

Wally

Reaction score
The fact you think the government is entitled to their money upon death
They can give it to charity or the government.

Do you plan on leaving your kids a big inheritance?

If you do, maybe they will use it all for drugs, that would be hilarious.
🤣

Spoofin

Reaction score
They can give it to charity or the government.

Do you plan on leaving your kids a big inheritance?

If you do, maybe they will use it all for drugs, that would be hilarious.
🤣
Yes, all kids use inheritance for drugs. You clearly have a good handle on this.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, CBS, NYT, WSJ, etc etc etc

are doing literally nothing more than what capitalism demands of them:

maximizing profit for their investors. You do that by creating content that you know your audience wants to buy. End of story

Wally

Reaction score
Bidens fault the airports are busy...

golf

Reaction score
Big supreme court case coming up on abortion. NYT op-ed informs that is racist to not allow abortions. Need someone to explain to me how pro life is racist.

Prolifers want to drastically increase the number of black babies born, doesn't seem racist. Prolifers want to restrict abortion equally to whites and blacks, doesn't seem racist.

The left has media, education, culture constantly campaigning for it. The left offers free stuff to voters and tells voters they aren't responsible for their lot in life. That is a powerful elixir - left should never lose an election.

It is positions like this that allow for results such as we saw in the election a few weeks ago. People are apparently not on board the runaway train to leftist utopia of evil racist america.

Wally

Reaction score
Big supreme court case coming up on abortion. NYT op-ed informs that is racist to not allow abortions. Need someone to explain to me how pro life is racist.

Prolifers want to drastically increase the number of black babies born, doesn't seem racist. Prolifers want to restrict abortion equally to whites and blacks, doesn't seem racist.

The left has media, education, culture constantly campaigning for it. The left offers free stuff to voters and tells voters they aren't responsible for their lot in life. That is a powerful elixir - left should never lose an election.

It is positions like this that allow for results such as we saw in the election a few weeks ago. People are apparently not on board the runaway train to leftist utopia of evil racist america.
I can admit abortion is a problematic situation. I am fine with a 16 week cutoff if they allow for exceptional situations. The problem is that the vast majority of abortions are early and the only people who will truly be affected by these laws are people in exceptional situations and the poor.

Righty lawmakers in general don't give a shit because they know their daughters will always have access to abortion. So I see it as arrogance.

golf

Reaction score
I can admit abortion is a problematic situation. I am fine with a 16 week cutoff if they allow for exceptional situations. The problem is that the vast majority of abortions are early and the only people who will truly be affected by these laws are people in exceptional situations and the poor.

Righty lawmakers in general don't give a shit because they know their daughters will always have access to abortion. So I see it as arrogance.
Sounds like u think this is more a rich-poor issue than racial issue. Certainly wealth brings advantages, the way of our world.

I see abortion as immoral, for me the issue is the lives of these babies and how these lives are ended for reasons of inconvenience.

Top Bottom