All Things Braeden Carrington Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022; Gophers Commit)

Excellent, now he needs to get to work recruiting! Great addition!

I'm guessing he gets a ranking very soon on 247 now that he has committed.

I'm guessing he gets a ranking very soon on 247 now that he has committed.
That’s what I’m thinking. Gopher hole piece mentioned they felt he’s at least the 6th best player in the state. Which would make him a solid 3 star? Maybe low 3.

Never any doubt! Great news for Braeden and his family as well as Ben and his staff! Being the first recruit for this class is pretty special.

i feel this thread would be a lot longer if he chosen to go elsewhere
I agree, but as someone who’s been very much espousing that it’s early and there’s no reason to panic, part of that was based on the idea that Minnesota was a heavy favorite for Carrington and Payne and it was likely just a matter of time until they committed. Losing Carrington might have been the single biggest semi-legitimate reason to panic so far for this recruiting cycle, even though we still seem to have interest from other quality guards from out of state. It would have also lent credibility to the idea that if your top targets haven’t committed by now, then they must not really be interested.

Losing King and Heide felt more like losing to a top 15 Michigan State in East Lansing, where losing Carrington might have been closer to losing to Nebraska at home.

That’s what I’m thinking. Gopher hole piece mentioned they felt he’s at least the 6th best player in the state. Which would make him a solid 3 star? Maybe low 3.
This is a remarkably deep class, I try not to be too much of a Kool Aid drinker, but I think he will be a high 3 and possibly 4 star (even if he is the 6th rated recruit in the state).

Didn't he take an offical to Colorado? He can't commit to Colorado while being on a visit here...
He was scheduled to go to Colorado in a few weeks. I know he had also considered visiting Florida. That's obviously changed now with today's news. I expect Payne isn't far behind to join him.

If young Mr. Carrington can be the first domino in great Minnesota players staying home and his Gohper teams do some real damage and see real success, he will be a Minnesota legend for life. If we turn this program around, the first group of Young Men who usher in that era will never be forgotten. A chance to create a real legacy.

If young Mr. Carrington can be the first domino in great Minnesota players staying home and his Gohper teams do some real damage and see real success, he will be a Minnesota legend for life. If we turn this program around, the first group of Young Men who usher in that era will never be forgotten. A chance to create a real legacy.
This is true! Melvin Newbern, Willie Burton, Richard Coffey and Jim Shickenjanski were the core that turned it around for Clem and we have not forgotten them. Imagine had they been locals! Kevin Lynch did join them a class later and is similarly remembered.

GopherHole Q&A: Carrington Details Gophers Commitment and Pride for Minnesota!

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota. What was the main reason that you decided that homestate school was the right fit for you?

Braeden Carrington: It was nothing like any other school. From the head coach to every assistant coach, they were always showing the same amount of love. Not every school was doing that, so to me, it was just special that every coach was showing me the same type of love that the head coach was. It’s the hometown school, so that just added onto the decision and when I walked into Williams Arena on my visit Tuesday and I thought “This is beautiful and I could see myself playing here for however many years, 4, 2, whatever.

GopherHole: You are the first high school player to commit to new head coach Ben Johnson. Is that a special feeling knowing that you are the first commit that he got?

Braeden Carrington: They have been saying that they want to build around me and I’m like the foundation for high school players. If they see me come in, they might think Ben Johnson can really win here, really start a good team and have a good future here.”

GopherHole: You are also the first Minnesota commit from the state as well. Does that make it even more special since Coach Johnson has made getting the top local players to stay home a priority?

Braeden Carrington: Yes. He definitely made me a priority. It’s nice knowing that he is really trying to focus on getting Minnesota kids. Once he can lock down a few, he can go outstate and try to get more. It just shows that he really loves the state and he is starting to show love and giving back to his old team. It’s nice because you have the whole city behind your back. I had fans texting me, so it’s nice knowing that everybody thinks it’s a good decision too, not just me.

Full Q&A here: https://gopherhole.com/carrington-details-gophers-commitment-and-pride-for-minnesota/

No mention that he was recruited by Tre. I cannot imagine how Izzo would feel about his recruit working for the U.

Tre and Braeden would be a nice backcourt for a couple of years at least

per STrib:

As Braeden Carrington put on a show for the crowd at North Central University in Minneapolis, he knew Wednesday night wasn't about him or his Park Center team taking home the title.

The Gophers recruit's 35 points earned him MVP honors and led the Pirates to the inaugural George Floyd Jr. Memorial Holiday Classic championship against Minneapolis North.

But Carrington, a 6-4 senior, realized the significance of being able to take part in an event in tribute to Floyd, who was murdered by former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

Floyd's alma mater, Jack Yates Senior High School in Houston, traveled to Minnesota to play in the four-team event, which also included North and Chicago Orr Academy.

"You're kind of playing in George Floyd's name," Carrington said. "Before we left for [North Central] to play, our coaches let us know this was a special event. It means a lot to the city. It's just super special and nice that we could be the first team to win it."

Park Center improved to 7-0 this season after the 67-55 win against Minneapolis North on Wednesday. Carrington also had 19 points in a 77-36 victory against Chicago Orr on Tuesday at North Central.

Carrington continues to solidify his status as the state's top three-point shooter, but he's also blossoming as a facilitator. It's a role he hopes to grow into once he joins Ben Johnson's Gophers program in 2022-23.

"I can see myself doing something similar to what Payton Willis is doing right now in a way," Carrington said about the U's senior captain and floor leader. "I'm starting to get a lot stronger with the ball. Last year, I was a little shaky and had a lot of turnovers. It was my first year playing point guard full time. Now I'm a lot more confident in what I'm doing. I have teammates and coaches who trust in me."

Go Gophers!!

Carrington should be the front-runner for Mr. Basketball if he and his team keeps it up and takes home the 4A title.

Looking at PC's schedule, the two hardest games left are two against Totino. Then they also play Minnehaha Academy once, although they aren't playing as well as they've done the past few years.

In regards to Tre H, Michigan State just picked up 2023 4 star point guard Jeremy Fears.
Really busy there with Walker, Adkins, Hoggard and Tre next year. (Is that Izzo's kid on the roster, Steven? Assuming it is. Wasn't aware of it.)

In regards to Tre H, Michigan State just picked up 2023 4 star point guard Jeremy Fears.
Really busy there with Walker, Adkins, Hoggard and Tre next year. (Is that Izzo's kid on the roster, Steven? Assuming it is. Wasn't aware of it.)
will certainly be something to follow in the future.

Tre is a heck of a player and he will have a role with that team if he sticks around

but would certainly take him back here if he ever decides to!

Top Bottom