All of these Tubby rumors are starting to make me angry

97alumni

Reaction score
Now I know Minnesota is cold and snowy but we are a major metropolitan city with a Big Ten University right smack dab in the middle of it (the only one). We are one of a few cities in the nation that has all four pro franchises, we have several Fortune 500 companies headquartered here, the Mall of America, etc.

I'm tired and angry that all these "pundits" are acting like we just got indoor plumbing and running water and that Tubby and Donna have to forge for nuts and berries to eat.

I always wanted Tubby to stay but now I really really want him to stay just to shut up all the pundits who think it's impossible that a top-tier coach could be happy here.

It was a matter of time before the Minnesota Inferiority Complex surfaced. The coldest, boring city in the middle of the prairie. How long before the hire Flip Saunders because he's one of us and will not leave for one of the coasts or a glamor job.

I blame Garrison Keillor and Interstate Batteries for this. And ESPN for showing the frozen Mississippi on every telecast and whining about how cold it is. Everyone thinks Opening Day at Target Field will surely be snowed out under a 2-foot blizzard and it won't crack 0 that day. Of course that could happen, but it's 99% that it won't. It doesn't stop people from acting like it's a sure thing.

The difference is that at Minnesota we spend all of our time talking about what we can't do. Tubby is getting interest from schools that basically say "what is it going to take to get you to come here because we know Minnesota is doing nothing to keep you."

If he left tomorrow I would not blame him. The program is only better because he made it better with what he has, not what the University has given him.

The difference is that at Minnesota we spend all of our time talking about what we can't do. Tubby is getting interest from schools that basically say "what is it going to take to get you to come here because we know Minnesota is doing nothing to keep you."

If he left tomorrow I would not blame him. The program is only better because he made it better with what he has, not what the University has given him.

'we' don't spend all our time talking about what we can't do. Sadly, Joel Maturi does. And he's the one in charge right now. I wish it were otherwise.

It was a matter of time before the Minnesota Inferiority Complex surfaced. The coldest, boring city in the middle of the prairie. How long before the hire Flip Saunders because he's one of us and will not leave for one of the coasts or a glamor job.

Um, is this supposed to be ironic, <b>AK</b>gopher?

Um, is this supposed to be ironic, <b>AK</b>gopher?

No irony in the ak, it's our psyche. We are thinned skinned when it comes to not being Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, NYC, or DC, and those from those places not wanting to be here and not being taken seriously by them. That's why we love our own guys and want them to come home and play or coach.

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I have a bunch of friends who have recently moved to the upper midwest from other places (Texas, Kansas City, etc.) and they all have heard great things about Minneapolis and want to visit. Other people from around the country have a good impression of the Twin Cities but those of us from the TC do a really good job of making it seem like the worst place on earth.

All these Tubby leaving rumors are numbing me. If the rumors are false and he stays, great, lets get ready for 2011. If he leaves, well, then it was true he wanted out. Fine, move on and lets get somebody with a tie to the midwest, so, we don't need to go through this again. That is a big reason some people find Flip Saunders so appealing, we know he loves Minnesota. Maybe Trent Tucker as an assistant and recruiter.

No irony in the ak, it's our psyche. We are thinned skinned when it comes to not being Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, NYC, or DC, and those from those places not wanting to be here and not being taken seriously by them. That's why we love our own guys and want them to come home and play or coach.

So does the "ak" stand for Alaska? I take it, no?

Minnesota does suck as far as States go, but The U does have some things going for it and Tubby is not leaving

Minnesota does suck as far as States go, but The U does have some things going for it and Tubby is not leaving

I don't know about "suck". I've traveled extensively around the US and world for work and there are alot of places that "suck" and Minnesota isn't one of them. Generally speaking, having to travel alot for work is not the greatest thing for life balance but one thing it does do is it gives you an idea of how nice it actually is in the Twin Cities. I've now got a list a mile long of places that I would not want to live and Minnesota is not on that list. The "grass is greener" complex is in play for alot of people who haven't lived or traveled to anywhere else.

Last I checked the university gives him about 2 mil a year and rescued him from a situation where he was about to be given the opportunity to resign in order to spend more time with his family. A practice facility would be nice and it should certainly be a priority over a baseball stadium but if Tubby is going to move on because it hasn't been delivered yet, I will wish him the best in his future endeavors.

In terms of impact on recruiting, he has no one to blame but himself. How can he expect a kid to commit to a school when he won't?

Top Bottom