All-American!

Truly amazing he didn’t get more looks/respect coming out of HS. I recall many of us in the hole looked at him during the recruiting season and were pretty excited. Blood lines, speed, athleticism.

Plenty of highlight plays for only 2+ full seasons.

We came very close to losing him a few years ago - PJ Fleck had to do one of his best recruiting jobs to keep him here and convince the Winfield family that things were going to be different. It really worked out for them and it sure worked out for us, too!!

We came very close to losing him a few years ago - PJ Fleck had to do one of his best recruiting jobs to keep him here and convince the Winfield family that things were going to be different. It really worked out for them and it sure worked out for us, too!!
Curious to what you mean be this...he was falsely accused and punished under a Title IX complaint investigation.

Curious to what you mean be this...he was falsely accused and punished under a Title IX complaint investigation.
Correct and there was tons of speculation he was unhappy about being and drug into the situation. Word was PJ had to convince them to keep him enrolled here

He was furious with the previous coaching regime and said publicly that the coach wasn't watching out for his son....

He was furious with the previous coaching regime and said publicly that the coach wasn't watching out for his son....

That was Winfield Sr. though. We never heard anything from AWjr. though. For all we know....he never intended to transfer at all. But I'm sure that either way, Fleck had to put in some work with the innocent guys pulled into that whole situation.

As much as I want players to stay and help us win, his best choice is to declare for the draft while he has momentum! NFL drafts on potential and his potential is about as high as you could hope for him. He has proven that he can perform at a top level even if some doubted his size.

Guys, let’s appreciate him for what he has accomplished, not for something he didn’t do! Out of respect for AW jr, let’s not derail this into an old argument.

I remember Sr being upset by how AW Jr was being treated and portrayed by the U's investigation. I don't remember him stating that about the coach.

Guys, let’s appreciate him for what he has accomplished, not for something he didn’t do! Out of respect for AW jr, let’s not derail this into an old argument.
2wbbus.jpg

It's odd, fairly recent terminology, but this kid is a "baller".

Swing and a miss.

He said his son would transfer if Coyle and Kaler remained in their jobs.

Mine was a response to someone else. But I'm done. A later poster was right, this thread should be to celebrate one of the best Gophers of all time and we have all offseason to fight over Claeys/Coyle/Kaler/Kill/etc.

Swing and a miss.

He said his son would transfer if Coyle and Kaler remained in their jobs.

I think you’re both right.

Winfield, a Texas resident, traveled north to Minnesota to receive answers. He said he went to Coyle’s office but wasn’t given a meeting. Winfield also was upset with Claeys and defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel.

“They didn’t pick up the phone,” Winfield said about when the suspensions were levied. “Those guys came to my house and looked me in my eye, and I told them, ‘Take care of my son.’ And this is what you show me? I don’t respect it. I’m hot.”

I had the pleasure of watching Antoine in high school and was very vocal about what a great young man the Gophers just signed, both on and off the field. I said several times he would be legendary at the U and I am so glad he even surpassed my expectations. I wish the injuries would have never happened because he would have ended up as our full time punt returner as well, The small glimpse we got of him returning punts was indeed electric.

I think the NFL will view him as too small, and they will be wrong. He will go later in the draft than he should, but like others have said, he is a baller, a football player. He can't make a bad decision on his future, we were all just blessed to watch him in the maroon and gold!

Mine was a response to someone else. But I'm done. A later poster was right, this thread should be to celebrate one of the best Gophers of all time and we have all offseason to fight over Claeys/Coyle/Kaler/Kill/etc.

There’s nothing to fight over Bob.

The #but9wins argument died forever in Evanston on 11/23. Fleck surpassed anything the previous regime ever accomplished. Claeys is a LB coach and Jerry is a special assistant. They are both washed up and Fleck is getting nominated for every coach of the year award in the country after giving us the best regular season in a generation. The arguments are over, forever.

I think you’re both right.

Winfield, a Texas resident, traveled north to Minnesota to receive answers. He said he went to Coyle’s office but wasn’t given a meeting. Winfield also was upset with Claeys and defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel.

“They didn’t pick up the phone,” Winfield said about when the suspensions were levied. “Those guys came to my house and looked me in my eye, and I told them, ‘Take care of my son.’ And this is what you show me? I don’t respect it. I’m hot.”

THIS is what I had read and meant too - thanks Pitino fan for digging it up.

It's odd, fairly recent terminology, but this kid is a "baller".

And, like most recent terminology, about as stupid and inane as it gets. A term used by the incredibly un-hip to attempt relevancy. Hate it. Makes anyone sound stupid.

FYI, not you.

Last edited:

There’s nothing to fight over Bob.

The #but9wins argument died forever in Evanston on 11/23. Fleck surpassed anything the previous regime ever accomplished. Claeys is a LB coach and Jerry is a special assistant. They are both washed up and Fleck is getting nominated for every coach of the year award in the country after giving us the best regular season in a generation. The arguments are over, forever.

What are you talking about? You're talking about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the argument. Somehow you have managed to shoehorn this conversation/debate into a Fleck vs. Claeys argument? You've had a lot of putrid takes (seriously), but this one is your worst.

And, like most recent terminology, about as stupid and inane as it gets. A term used by the incredibly un-hip to attempt relevancy. Hate it. Makes anyone sound stupid.

FYI, not you.

I think every generation has its silly terminology.

He went through a lot - and has now made five All-American teams for this season, including Walter Camp, which is one of the five NCAA-specified "consensus" choosers. the other four (AP, Coaches, etc.) are still out. I hope Winfield sticks around ONE more year and wins the Thorpe award (if he doesn't win it this year). Tyrone Carter won it in '99.

He went through a lot - and has now made five All-American teams for this season, including Walter Camp, which is one of the five NCAA-specified "consensus" choosers. the other four (AP, Coaches, etc.) are still out. I hope Winfield sticks around ONE more year and wins the Thorpe award (if he doesn't win it this year). Tyrone Carter won it in '99.
Pretty sure he won't win it this year. Since Delpit already won it and all. I did find it odd he was a finalist for defensive POY but not the Thorpe Award.

Top Bottom