Alex Trebek passes away

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Alex Trebek -- the revered and beloved "Jeopardy!" host since 1984, whose calm but witty presence was must-see television for millions of Americans -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Go Alex Trebek!!

Just hit me that Regis Philbin also died this year-does anyone remember that low-key spat, in much simpler times, when Trebek said Jeopardy contestants were smarter than Millionaire contestants?

Yet another institution leaving us this year-just thought of Jeopardy related memories streaming through, but the one that prevails is watching with my Mom on visits back home and when there were sports or pop culture questions,I would go on a run and she’d say the classic Mom statement-that I should go on Jeopardy.

And lest I forget-one of my favorite Cheers episodes:

Dan Patrick who hosted the short lived "Sports Jeopardy" series had a nice tribute today to Trebek. He also said that the last episode he taped will air on Christmas Day. It was taped 10 days ago.

Who had the better parody, Eugene Levy or Will Ferrell? I agree with Alex himself...

I didn't see Aaron Rodgers 1st guest host episode, but I watched it today.

Not splashy, but that's just fine. He was solid and well prepared, clearly, he took this seriously. I haven't seen any of the other subs so far, but he would do well long term, IMO. With some polish I could easily see his second act be in front of the camera, not necessarily sports related.

Not splashy, but that's just fine. He was solid and well prepared, clearly, he took this seriously. I haven't seen any of the other subs so far, but he would do well long term, IMO. With some polish I could easily see his second act be in front of the camera, not necessarily sports related.

I'm confused as to why Aaron Rodgers even even being considered. Is he a likable personality or something? Seems like there would be nothing BUT better options.

I'm confused as to why Aaron Rodgers even even being considered. Is he a likable personality or something? Seems like there would be nothing BUT better options.
I don't think State Farm would keep shelling out dough for him to be one of their pitchmen if he was dislikeable.

I don't think State Farm would keep shelling out dough for him to be one of their pitchmen if he was dislikeable.

I never said that he was dislikable. I am just wondering what makes him a good fit for Jeopardy....or why he's even on the radar?

Packer Lover ^

I for one am down with idea of LeVar Burton taking over.

btw, having friggin' Dr. Oz on there was an embarrassment.

Packer Lover ^
As a Viking fan actually I would like him to move on to a new gig pronto.
I never said that he was dislikable. I am just wondering what makes him a good fit for Jeopardy....or why he's even on the radar?
Well, it was known previously how much he revered Trebek. He also did rather well on the show as a celebrity contestant so that alone would put him on their radar, at minimum for this guest run.

I have no idea if it will lead to the permanent host, but he seems to be campaigning to at least be considered. From the 1 episode, I don't think it's crazy. Plus, it was even topic on PTI.

The one critique for me, needs a better hair style. Too much of a Pat Riley wannabe.

As a Viking fan actually I would like him to move on to a new gig pronto.

Well, it was known previously how much he revered Trebek. He also did rather well on the show as a celebrity contestant so that alone would put him on their radar, at minimum for this guest run.

I have no idea if it will lead to the permanent host, but he seems to be campaigning to at least be considered. From the 1 episode, I don't think it's crazy. Plus, it was even topic on PTI.

The one critique for me, needs a better hair style. Too much of a Pat Riley wannabe.

I've definitely heard the idea talked about....which makes me think that his parade has been the ones floating the idea. Just seems like the options are endless....so to put a pro athlete who is still playing in as the front runner is just confusing as all hell imo.

I've definitely heard the idea talked about....which makes me think that his parade has been the ones floating the idea. Just seems like the options are endless....so to put a pro athlete who is still playing in as the front runner is just confusing as all hell imo.

I have not heard him being listed as the front runner for the gig, just one candidate among several.

They tape multiple episodes a day, so Trebek was only in the studio approximately 50 days per year. Plenty of down time in the offseason or even a bye week to get the job done, if it went that way.

I can think of a few sports personalities that have wound up hosting game shows. Michael Strahan does Pyramid, Joe Garagiola did some (Password maybe?) and Rolf Benirschke (FG kicker for the Chargers) had a short run on Wheel of Fortune.

All things NFL seem to attract eyeballs to TV or streaming, perhaps he can bring some crossover viewers to the show. Current pro-athletes compete on Dancing With the Stars all the time. This doesn't seem that far fetched, and much less physically demanding.

It may tickle his intellectual fancy - He scored 1310 SAT.😎😎 - see articel below. Also, I read somewhere else the average SAT score for a NASA astronaut is 1200 - this is of course before they changed/inflated the scheudle.

From the article -

Despite his athletic prowess, an A-minus average and an SAT score of 1310, Rodgers did not receive an N.C.A.A. Division I scholarship offer coming out of high school. He stayed home and attended Butte College, a junior college in Oroville, Calif., earned an athletic scholarship to the University of California]

I wound up watching 6 of the episodes that Rodgers hosted, which I would say equals the amount that I had seen this century (until tuning in for few of Trebek's final shows).

I used to watch Jeopardy pretty consistently through the 90s, but working a regular job I just kind of drifted away from it. I did tune in for most of the Sports Jeopardy episodes that had a short run on NBCSN.

Pleasantly during this run, found out not as bad as I thought I would be at the game though not sure how I would fare with an actual buzzer. The key would be to not go backwards, buzzing in on questions that I am not really sure on. Literature categories and the pressure of the Daily Doubles are my weaknesses.

I did get 4 of the 6 Final Jeopardy questions correct.

Having watched all the guest hosts since Rodgers, I would say all of them have done just fine. The writing/production staff must be so stellar that none of the fill-ins have been a distraction. Even the guy who hosted "Champions" week who I don't think has any hosting/tv experience would be a suitable replacement.

My top 5 to pick full time so far would be:

1. Anderson Cooper - He was the most enthusiastic and could tell he was savoring the opportunity. Probably has too much else going on for the full time gig.

2. Mayim Bialik - Very comfortable in front of the camera.

3. LeVar Burton - Quite a pro as well, great screen presence.

4. George Stephanopoulos - Also a pro's pro with probably too much else going on.

5. Bill Whitaker - I like those with a news background

I would stink at that job, and be way too condescending with the contestants that goof up a really easy question (even though I know it would happen to me if I were under the bright lights).

The current champ, whatever his name is, "Phd Student from New Haven, CT" is really on a roll. Not just winning, killing it in Final Jeopardy when he already has it locked up. Probably just jinxed him.

Paul Allen on KFAN guaranteed that Rodgers wouldn’t play for the Packers any longer. He said the same thing for 3 straight weeks …during the ratings season.

Paul Allen on KFAN guaranteed that Rodgers wouldn’t play for the Packers any longer. He said the same thing for 3 straight weeks …during the ratings season.
Might of been true, until it wasn't. Things change.

I've never even bothered to enter KFAN as one of my preset stations on my car's FM dial.

I feel like while still being a heavy underdog, I would at least have a puncher's chance against these kids on College Jeopardy! Funny how awful they are in general on sports categories. Of course I would have been blanked on hit songs of 2021.

Go Gophers!

I feel like while still being a heavy underdog, I would at least have a puncher's chance against these kids on College Jeopardy! Funny how awful they are in general on sports categories. Of course I would have been blanked on hit songs of 2021.

Go Gophers!

The Burnsville native goes to school in Nebraska
The Lincoln native goes to school in Minnesota

Nothing important, just an observation!!!!

Wow, the Gopher (Emmey) lost in heartbreaking fashion, in the Semis.

Top Bottom