Ahhhhhhh..... youth...

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Have to remind myself how young some of the posters are on this board. I remember what it was like to be young and stupid.

The best one so far lately... the "Tubby was outcoached" comments. Yes, like you would know if that ever happened. Like any of us would.

Folks, the Gophers haven't gotten worse. The competition's gotten better, Einstein. Anybody care to recall, outside of a game in PHX against a lackluster Louisville team, that the Gophers have played about 3-4 games against quality opponents? And they're supposed to be battle tested in the third week of January?

I especially love the comment; "Gophers played 1-on-1 while Purdue played as a team". Ummmm, ya think?

Purdue didn't play a single freshman tonight, they have a core of players that ALL played together last year. The Gophers are using an influx of FIVE new players, trying to learn a new system, how to play team basketball, and trying to learn how to mesh with the returning players. I would absolutely expect a relatively veteran team like Purdue to play more like a team than the Gophers. It's common for players (especially new/young ones) to regress to taking things 1-on-1 when faced with adversity.

For all you 20-somethings (or teenagers) who are freaking out over a couple of losses in January, you're in for a cold dose of harsh reality.

This team has a long ways to go until March, these are just steps along the way, learning experiences. These are also times when they'll learn who's going to rise up/step up, and who's not. I'll trade losses now for wins in late February, early March.

In short, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Lewis Jackson

Have to remind myself how young some of the posters are on this board. I remember what it was like to be young and stupid.

The best one so far lately... the "Tubby was outcoached" comments. Yes, like you would know if that ever happened. Like any of us would.

Folks, the Gophers haven't gotten worse. The competition's gotten better, Einstein. Anybody care to recall, outside of a game in PHX against a lackluster Louisville team, that the Gophers have played about 3-4 games against quality opponents? And they're supposed to be battle tested in the third week of January?

I especially love the comment; "Gophers played 1-on-1 while Purdue played as a team". Ummmm, ya think?

Purdue didn't play a single freshman tonight, they have a core of players that ALL played together last year. The Gophers are using an influx of FIVE new players, trying to learn a new system, how to play team basketball, and trying to learn how to mesh with the returning players. I would absolutely expect a relatively veteran team like Purdue to play more like a team than the Gophers. It's common for players (especially new/young ones) to regress to taking things 1-on-1 when faced with adversity.

For all you 20-somethings (or teenagers) who are freaking out over a couple of losses in January, you're in for a cold dose of harsh reality.

This team has a long ways to go until March, these are just steps along the way, learning experiences. These are also times when they'll learn who's going to rise up/step up, and who's not. I'll trade losses now for wins in late February, early March.

In short, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Purdue's starting PG Lewis Jackson who runs the offense and is a lock down defensder is a true Freshman.

Purdue's starting PG Lewis Jackson who runs the offense and is a lock down defensder is a true Freshman.

We saw that by him picking up two fouls in the first two minutes and sitting for most of the half.

Like last year, Nolan was a true frosh playing with a core of seniors and juniors.

This year, Nolan is surrounded by 5 players new to the system with our 3 seniors rarely seeing the floor.

This is a good post. It is really easy to get overly critical of our team after a loss. It is what it is. Thanks Ogee, now I can look at the next game on the schedule and get excited for that.

"And they're supposed to be battle tested in the third week of January?"

Nearing the midpoint of the conference schedule, yes the team should be battle tested. That is what the non conference schedule is to do.

Negative, Negative, Negative. Sounds to me like many, many, many commentors have thrown in the towel on the season. Welcome to the real world of NCAA Basketball. I'll bet that even Georgetown is giving up this year after losing at home to West Virginia. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of the football season. At the beginning of the season they had such modest expectations, then they won a bunch then all of a sudden we're going to the Rose Bowl. Then reality hits and they suck. No they're actually a bit better than what we actually had expected what changed was our expectations along the way.

This is the same, we're still the same bubble team that hopefully will be much better than that come tourney time. We've just got off to a nice start. So no, we don't all of a sudden suck, we just hit the great wall of reality.

Top Bottom