Ahanmisi and Eliason

Gold Out

Reaction score
Are they really D1 basketball players? Eliason got redshirted last year and got dominated by Bemidji St. There has to be better players in intramural leagues.

I would be fine with them not playing a minute the whole season.

Whoa GO! A little harsh for one outing. Let's let the team develop thru the old Spice Classic before we start benching the players.

Wow! Eliason appears to be a P-R-O-J-E-C-T!! I was rather surprised with his lack of coordination and skills especially after reading the positive comments from Tubby. Maybe it was nerves.

But after one very short glimpse, Eliason=Hagen in three years may be a reach.

Ahanamisi may end up being a role player or garbage time and watch others will get the bulk of the PT..

Let's be honest. If Mav and Elliot play major minutes for us this year, we're in trouble. Hopefully they each develop to the point where they can help this team. I'm not counting them out. I saw Aaron Robinson and Brent Lawson and Jeff Hagen turn into very good players. But I hope we're not counting on them this year.

I was disappointed that Elliott struggled as much as he did last nignt, but you can't judge his value to the team going forward on one night. There is no doubt the kid was nervous and I think he will improve as the season progresses. Maverick did not play particularly well last night, but he played very well in the tip off scrimmage. Maverick has a long way to go, but he has progressed since last year. It appears that Maverick will be the third point guard behind Welch and Andre Hollins unless there is an injury. With Walker uncertain for the season, Eliason's progress may well be a key factor to the success of this season.

Are they really D1 basketball players? Eliason got redshirted last year and got dominated by Bemidji St. There has to be better players in intramural leagues.

I would be fine with them not playing a minute the whole season.

I haven't seen EE playing yet. Hey may have been a project from the get-go, but we will need him this season in case Mo gets redshirted. Just take him for what he is. His role may be to relieve the bigs for a few minutes a game if Mo stays healthy.

They were harsh words, however just a heads up to those who are expecting him and Mav to contribute this year and didn't come to the exhibition game last night. In 13 minutes EE was 0-5 on essentially layups and he's 6'11.

There may be a growing problem up front for the Gophers. Mbakwe is excellent and Sampson is a good center. However, if Eliason doesn't improve and Walker is red-shirted, we may have a serious depth problem developing. Tubby only gave Ingram 4 minutes last night. Halverson didn't play at all and Oto looked a little lost out there. Whose going to rest our big guys? Heaven help us if one of them gets in foul trouble.

I wouldn't say Elliott got dominated. He got a lot of good and easy looks, and he missed them. Missing layups is a problem; not getting layups is getting dominated. He didn't get dominated. He looked, essentially, like a more uncoordinated version of Colton out there yesterday. The missed layups and uncoordinated play are certainly issues, and potentially big issues if he doesn't show any improvement in the near future, but it's also the first game he's played in over a year, and you could tell he was nervous. Don't put too much stock into one game. On the plus-side, I think he gave, noticeably, the best effort on that second line. That counts for something, too. He's working hard, and I hope he just needs to shake off a lot of rust. He's not going to be a huge contributor this year (and he doesn't need to be), but I'm not relegating him to D2 status after his 15 minutes of real ball in a long time.

People have off nights. Let's not freak out after just one game.

Elliot just looked a little too excited/nervous and forced up some shots that weren't there. You can't teach height though.

I'm in agreement with the majority of the people here in saying that EE is a major project. He is raw, unathletic, weak physically and was a total disaster out there on both ends of the floor. His lateral movement is so slow it's almost laughable. I understand that people have off nights, but it is clear to me that he is going to be a frustrating player to watch for years to come. He just doesn't look at all like a D1 player to me, 7 feet tall or not. Hearing that he was dominating Iverson in practice last year now sounds like a joke to me. I would take Iverson over EE all day everyday. Fact of that matter is that we need Mbakwe and Sampson to play 30+ minutes a game this year, our depth outside those two is extremely weak without Mo. We really need a commitment from Nolan and/or Buggs.

I'm in agreement with the majority of the people here in saying that EE is a major project. He is raw, unathletic, weak physically and was a total disaster out there on both ends of the floor. His lateral movement is so slow it's almost laughable. I understand that people have off nights, but it is clear to me that he is going to be a frustrating player to watch for years to come. He just doesn't look at all like a D1 player to me, 7 feet tall or not. Hearing that he was dominating Iverson in practice last year now sounds like a joke to me. I would take Iverson over EE all day everyday. Fact of that matter is that we need Mbakwe and Sampson to play 30+ minutes a game this year, our depth outside those two is extremely weak without Mo. We really need a commitment from Nolan and/or Buggs.

I am not sure why you think that a former Mr. Basketball is good enough for a Devision II team only. He can't be that bad. Didn't he have a choice of playing for Stanford?

Go Gophers

Give Elliason a chance to play in a real game before you doom him to being a D2 player...

I remember watching Elliott in his first Pulley game the summer after he graduated and he really struggled. The next Pulley game he played much better. Labeling him as a failure after one exhibition game is extremely premature.

Maverick looked like an all star compared to Chip. I thought Chip was the toughest to watch.

EE has been injured and likely has missed practice. If anything he looked very tired in the game.

After last night, I couldn't keep the thought out of my mind that EE is the next Ryan Wildenborg.

I wouldn't say Elliott got dominated. He got a lot of good and easy looks, and he missed them. Missing layups is a problem; not getting layups is getting dominated. He didn't get dominated. He looked, essentially, like a more uncoordinated version of Colton out there yesterday. The missed layups and uncoordinated play are certainly issues, and potentially big issues if he doesn't show any improvement in the near future, but it's also the first game he's played in over a year, and you could tell he was nervous. Don't put too much stock into one game. On the plus-side, I think he gave, noticeably, the best effort on that second line. That counts for something, too. He's working hard, and I hope he just needs to shake off a lot of rust. He's not going to be a huge contributor this year (and he doesn't need to be), but I'm not relegating him to D2 status after his 15 minutes of real ball in a long time.

:eek::eek::eek:

Having watched the game tonight, my opinion on Eliason is not as negative as many on the board. Eliason made several nice passes in the game and his missed shots seemed to be the result of rushing his opportunities (nerves?) than not being skilled enought to make the shots. I also think this was a bad matchup for Eliason defensively as the opposition often moved their posts out beyond the 3 point line. My main concern with Eliason was a play where he should have had an easy rebound and he allowed a much smaller player to come up and meet him at the apex and knock the ball away. It showed a potential lack of athleticism and seemed like a soft play. For the most part, I need to see him play more before I think it's fair to lump him in with Mav.

I have doubts about Mav, I think Elliason will be fine, it is his first game in two years.

Top Bottom