Again today Kil was talking about leverage

Doc1001

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what he is talking about? It didnt seem to be leverage among the defensive or offensive line which I could understand. He framed it in reference to pass defense. What is this leverage he seems to think we lack? I played basketball and not football so be kind.

I believe he is referring mostly to positioning. You want DBs in a position to make a break on the ball and see what the QB is doing without getting beat. In essence, you want them to be proactive rather than reactive. This takes a great deal of coaching and, per the norm, speed. If a DB is playing catchup, he has lost leverage. The same holds true for LBs. In a zone defense, they need to get to their drop zones quickly. The quicker they get there, the earlier they can decide what to do. Then, they can play downhill. That is leverage. Speed, positioning, and the ability to play both the run and the pass.

Does anyone know exactly what he is talking about? It didnt seem to be leverage among the defensive or offensive line which I could understand. He framed it in reference to pass defense. What is this leverage he seems to think we lack? I played basketball and not football so be kind.

I may be mistaken, but I believe leverage is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.

Using positioning to force a ball carrier/receiver where you want him to go. Generally we want to play with leverage so that if one guy does not make a tackle, he at least forces the offensive player to where other defenders can finish him off instead of a missed tackle resulting in a huge gain.

I saw Marcus tweeting about it the other day.. Even he was asking if anyone had a concise definition for it. So it doesnt seem to be a well understood term.

Top Bottom