After three games, what new faces have impressed?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Or old faces for that matter?

I haven't watched closely enough (or had a program handy to tell who is who) to tell who has been better than expected in the first 3 games. I'm curious to know who some people think have been impressive in their first significant duty as Gophers?

Moulton had a nice game on Saturday and has had at least 2 catches in each game so far (can't recall too many drops either), making him the second leading receiver, catches and yards, behind McKnight.

I think Hawthorne, while missing some kicks he should have made, is coming along just fine and could turn out to be really good. Nice that he's only a sophomore, along with Orseske. As I've said previously, this could be a major strength of the team in 2012 and 2013.

Who else? Gjere? Edwards? Perry?

With most teams opting to attack the Rodents through the air, it's not surprising that 3 of the four leading tacklers through 3 games are in the secondary.

#86 Moulton has been very impressive IMO. He has made some very good catches and plays with his feet. I think he may have dropped a ball or two so far, but I am unsure. We really need a second threat in the recieving game, and I am certainly hoping he may develop in to that.

I agree on Moulton, not many others though to be honest. Perry hasn't stood out, neither has Shady or Keise. Gjere has struggled. Edwards hasn't gotten enough time IMO. Some guys really need to start stepping up.

1. Moulton
2. Orseske (actually not too far behind)
3. Tommy O the KOR King
Ok, seriously, but a cheat pick by me... 3. MarQueis at QB--he is ahead of where I thought he would be. 300 yards rushing after three games and only two picks, no fumbles (that were recovered by the D). I can live with everything else.

On some of Gray's big runs Gjere kept his man locked up to open up the outside, he's not a finished product, but there are some pluses as well as the minuses

Haven't watched any OL, so I can't say anything about anyone in particular there..

Off the top of my head, I say that Moulton is probably the first name that comes to mind. Has Keise even have a catch?? True freshmen Shortell and Jones both look impressive.

And honestly I like Vereen. I know he's been suspect in coverage, but I often wonder if that's just the scheme/play than it is poor coverage. He had some real night breakups and some nice one on one tackles this season already.

Moulton's looked good. Rabe has been helpful. Amaefula's had a moment or two. Perry has looked athletic on a couple of plays.

Vereen isn't exactly a new new face but he's be another name to throw out there. He's given up a few plays through the air, but I feel like he holds his own and with Troy locking down the other side of the field I feel like the ball comes his way a lot. He's also done really well against the run.

I watched Eric Jacques a couple of plays on Saturday and he more than held his own. He really needs to come on strong along with Hageman. Especially since Kirksey and Jacobs are seniors.

Aside from (Kirkland ;-)) Kirkwood running with aurthority, He leveled two players while blocking on a play in the 1st quarter. One of the best blocks I've seen from a Gopher back in a while. Hopefully he will be able to do this consistantly.

Jones has had a few bright moments as well.

The two bright(est) spots on D IMO have been Tinsley and Stoudermire.

It was nice to see Lair get a few looks in the first half.

I wonder about Vereen. They picked on him all day Saturday, but seemed he was always by himself with a wide out. There was seldom anyone else to help, either over the top or inside. i thought he handled himself pretty well given the above.

Vereen is going to be a pretty good corner when he gets the knack of following the ball. The thing I've noticed is that he gets good initial position and then doesn't adjust well to the ball in the air.

Kirkwood was really impressive last game. It was nice to see a powerful back running down hill for once. I hope he starts to become the featured back with Bennett becoming the 3rd down back. I'd also like to see Edwards get some more carries as well.

Vereen is going to be a pretty good corner when he gets the knack of following the ball. The thing I've noticed is that he gets good initial position and then doesn't adjust well to the ball in the air.

Just a minor detail.

For me:
(1) Moulton has flashed at times. He is pretty fast and has been pretty impressive for a first year player.
(2) Gjere...he's been ok, but I wouldn't say overly impressive so far.
(3) Hageman......he has his moments where he is really impressive.
(4) Kirkland....ran hard last week
(5) Edwards.....struggled running but Kill pointed out that he actually was the reason we were able to block the punt.
(6) Amaefula.........looked good on his sack, gets a bit of pressure. Pretty impressive for a frosh.

Like others, I've been impressed by Moulton, and I'm also a huge fan of Jones. I like his speed, but, more than anything, I've noticed him throwing three or four very impressive blocks that have sprung a screen or scramble. For an undersized true freshman, his blocking has been outstanding, and I love that he has the right attitude to throw those kinds of blocks.

A note on Gjere: At times, I've been impressed by his ability once he's on a block. But he's not there yet, mentally. I've seen him make too many simple assignment and blocking mistakes. On the last 4th and 9 against Miami, he single-handedly botched that play by missing a twist on the d-line, allowing uncontested pressure on Gray. Once he figures out those types of things, he'll be a player.

I like Moulton and Vereen. Malcolm needs a new number though - something in a single digit preferably.

I mentioned this on Saturday (not to any of you, but to people outside of my internet box), but I'm not a fan of our kicker wearing Deck's number so soon after he graduated. Just doesn't feel right.

I would have to say Jerry Kill and the rest of the new coaching staff. I understand the record isnt great, you can see a big difference in there play.

Seeing as you said faces and not players... i would say they qualify

I agree with most of what has been said. But I've mostly been watching the play of both lines as a whole for improvement week to week. I thought it was ok against USC, took a little step back against NMSU but took a strong step forward against Miami (OH). I think if we continue to see progress in line play, that's probably the best indicator of where we're headed as a team.

I agree with all the names given. I have to give Max Shortell a nod when he is called upon. In my mind, I'm not sold that he isn't the guy at QB and Marques would be better-suited at WR. It's great that Marques is lighting up the running game but that will just load 8 in the box. I think it would open up the offense with Marques lined up in the WR slot more. I would definitely see Marques picking up the same yards after the catching the ball. I think Marques at WR would allow the most-talented 11 offensive players to be on the field at the same time.

I could accept the argument that Max is a little inexperienced at this point. I definitely think Max at QB and Marques at WR is the way to go next year. Marques could make some noise at the NFL as a WR; not a QB. I think that move would serve everyones best interest; and maybe its a move that should happen this year. Marques out wide will demand more secondary respect and will open things up for the running game. Just my thoughts.

I think I read that the top 3 rushers in B1G are QB's - Marqueis, Robinson of Mich and the Nebraska qb - and notably that Marqueis has the best passing percentage of the 3. Not bad for someone who hasn't played qb for 3 or 4 years now. Give Q time and he'll be fine. But give Shortell some snaps, too, and in 2 years he'll be a LOT more prepared to take over than Q is now. Unless one of the kids coming in wrestles the spot away from him.

I think I read that the top 3 rushers in B1G are QB's - Marqueis, Robinson of Mich and the Nebraska qb - and notably that Marqueis has the best passing percentage of the 3. Not bad for someone who hasn't played qb for 3 or 4 years now. Give Q time and he'll be fine. But give Shortell some snaps, too, and in 2 years he'll be a LOT more prepared to take over than Q is now. Unless one of the kids coming in wrestles the spot away from him.

I was wondering about who the Big 10's leading rushers were when watching the Nebraska highlights the other day. Martinez appears to be a more fluid runner than Gray, but it's pretty obvious that QB running is going to be a big part of offenses for a lot of Big 10 teams.

Keep giving Shortell a few series per game to give the opposition a different look. It seems that over the past couple of decades, we've never had a QB-in-waiting and that the guy who takes the reins as a sophomore/junior (freshman for Weber) gets about 95% of the snaps and we start from scratch when that guy leaves. Any experience Shortell gets now makes for a more seamless transition later.

The very first ball thrown to Moulton showed he belonged.

Wasn't the first pass to him a clean drop on a route across the middle at the USC game? I think he's been impressive since then, so not ragging on him...

Top Bottom