After 2 seasons

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
After the 2006 season 24 teams hired new coaches. Of the 24 teams in 2006 Mason's Gophers had the 10th best record. In the last two season's Brewster has the 17th best record of those 24 teams. 12 of the 24 coaches have a .500 win % or better over the last two years. Five of those 12 coaches took over teams with losing records in 2006. 1. Air Force 2. Louisiana Tech 3. Michigan State 4. North Carolina 5. Alabama.

Seven of the 24 teams have been bowl eligible both of the last two seasons and 9 have been eligible once. How would you rank the coaching hires of 2007 so far?

Best
Alabama - Saban (19-6)
Cincinnati- Brian Kelly (20-5)
Boston College- Jagodzinkski (20-6)
Air Force- Calhoun (17-8)
Michigan St. - Dantonio (16-9)
Tulsa- Graham (20-6)

Notables
Indiana - Lynch (10-15)
Minnesota- Brewster (8-16)
Stanford- Harbaugh (9-15)
UNC- Davis (12-12)
NC State- O'Brien (11-13)
Miami- Shannon (12-12)
Iowa St- Chzik (5-19)
Arizona St.- Erickson (19-6)

I don't think a ranking is possible because the situations are so unique to each school. Instead I'll give my own thoughts and grade each one.

Saban looks the best but the reality is that Alabama was recruiting well but underperforming on the field. He is a great coach and got his players to perform to their abilities. Grade A (how can you do better than 12-0 this year?)

I have been impressed with the way that Dantonio has changed the attitude of the team at Michigan State which had a greater reputation than the Gophers for getting off to a good start and collapsing in the face of adversity. Grade B+

Kelly is reaping the rewards of what Dantonio did in Cincy but you certainly have to give him recognition for the success they have achieved. Grade B+

Butch Davis has done an excellent job at North Carolina on the field and on the recruiting trails. The program has not been much to speak of since Mack Brown (and Brewster) left for Texas but I think they are going to be very good under Davis. Grade A-

There is no reason Miami shouldn't be a top 10-15 recruiting team every year and Randy Shannon has brought them back to that level. On the field they are a huge improvement from a couple very disappointing Cane teams--not that it bothered me to see them lose. Grade B+

With Miami, and North Carolina improving, Florida State on the way back to where they were, and Virginia Tech holding court the ACC should be a much better conference in the years to come and those four teams will be taking home the titles with an outside shot that GT steals one every so often.

After going to a bowl last season, Lynch has to be on the hot seat for moving back to #11. Indiana got off to a good start recruiting this year but they went stagnant once the season started and their play on the field didn't help. It is still clear that Indiana lacks depth and can't deal with any injuries. Grade C (A-B in '07, D-F in 08)

I think Harbaugh is going to be successful at Stanford. It will always be a challenge there but he has the signature victory versus USC and I think they actually do the best job of recruiting amongst the teams with their academic credentials (Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, Vanderbilt). Grade B+

Even though Minnesota had a 6-7 record in 2006 the cupboard was relatively empty. After growing pains in 2007 that were more severe than expected I think Brewster did a good job in 2008 of getting Minnesota back to where they were (getting to a second tier bowl due to a weak schedule). He has added talent and is in the process of adding depth. There were a few mistakes in putting together his coaching staff but I think improvements have been made in the last two years (Roof, Cross). Overall I would give Brewster a B for 2008 and he will be graded on a higher bar next year.

Top Bottom