Affiliate Hockey Members of the Big Ten?

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
In the lacrosse thread in the Other Gopher Sports Forum, I mentioned the addition of Johns Hopkins as an affiliate member for lacrosse opens the door in hockey.

It seems the only requirement would be that hockey is the only D-1 sport for the school. The Big Ten should be able to add 2-4 teams for hockey only. My rankings from most desirable to least would be:

1. UMD
2. SCSU
3. Colorado College
4. Michigan Tech (play for the MacNaughton Cup again)
5. MSU-Mankato
6. Ferris St
7. Northern Michigan
8. Bemidji St.

Johns Hopkins in lax > (UMD+SCSU+CC+MTU+MSUM+FSU+NMU+BSU in hockey)

I'd prefer they keep hockey to just the Big 10 schools. The conference will grow in power & status naturally. Eventually -- probably not in the too far distant future -- I can see some combination of Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and maybe Rutgers adding hockey.

I'd prefer they keep hockey to just the Big 10 schools. The conference will grow in power & status naturally. Eventually -- probably not in the too far distant future -- I can see some combination of Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and maybe Rutgers adding hockey.

I'm originally from Iowa and I just don't see them ever adding hockey. Once you cross the border its as if hockey ceases to exist. I seriously doubt that having hockey in the Big Ten would raise the interest level to the point that it would be added.

NE has already said it wont add hockey because the state has made such a large investment in Omaha.

Ill & Rutgers are good potentials, but I do like the idea of filling out the Big Ten now and not waiting.

My rankings from most desirable to least would be:

1. UMD
2. SCSU
3. Colorado College
4. Michigan Tech (play for the MacNaughton Cup again)
5. MSU-Mankato
6. Ferris St
7. Northern Michigan
8. Bemidji St.

Unfortunately you're severely underestimating the hard-on that the Big Ten has for its members being AAU schools. Johns Hopkins is AAU, Mankato is about as far from AAU as you can get.

US News and World Report ranks Johns Hopkins the #13 college in the country.

Any new school in the B10 needs to be in the AAU, be a large research school and be in a new market for the B1G to televise and recruit. Two schools that more than fit that profile would be a stretch, but if the B1G really wants to be innovative and take a lead in the sport they should get a look. The University of Toronto and McGill University. Both are large research schools and the only two AAU schools in Canada. Yes, Canada. They would be a home run as affiliate hockey members. Think about the potential tv and recruiting exposure in the most populous part of Canada. Just dreaming but it makes so much sense.

Any new school in the B10 needs to be in the AAU, be a large research school and be in a new market for the B1G to televise and recruit. Two schools that more than fit that profile would be a stretch, but if the B1G really wants to be innovative and take a lead in the sport they should get a look. The University of Toronto and McGill University. Both are large research schools and the only two AAU schools in Canada. Yes, Canada. They would be a home run as affiliate hockey members. Think about the potential tv and recruiting exposure in the most populous part of Canada. Just dreaming but it makes so much sense.

That's a fascinating idea. I imagine there are some major hurdles to overcome, but it makes a lot of sense. It would definitely "move the needle" on BTN subscriptions and would widen the interest base of college hockey, which could definitely use it.

Go Gophers!!

That's a fascinating idea. I imagine there are some major hurdles to overcome, but it makes a lot of sense. It would definitely "move the needle" on BTN subscriptions and would widen the interest base of college hockey, which could definitely use it.

Go Gophers!!

That is creative. Right now most Canadians see major junior as the path to the pros rather than college D-1. I wonder if having some local teams in a major conference with historical programs like the Big Ten will have would change that.

Top Bottom