Adam Rittenberg writes truth: WI RB's one trick ponies when comparing college vs. NFL

supadupafly

Reaction score
MADISON, Wis. -- Melvin Gordon is proud to be part of Wisconsin's running back pipeline, but he wants to keep the production flowing at the NFL level.

Gordon, who worked out briefly Wednesday at Wisconsin's pro day, knows the knock on Badgers backs: great in college, unexceptional in the pros. It's a topic he discussed with former teammates and fellow running backs Montee Ball and James White, who are in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12462403/melvin-gordon-aims-change-wisconsin-badgers-rbs-nfl-rep

P.S. Marion Barber III, Laurence Maroney, Thomas Tapeh, Gary Russell....and soon to be David Cobb say hello. Minnesota RB's who all seemed to have (and one who I expect to have) much longer overall and more productive NFL careers than any recent Wisconsin RB's have had, including Heisman winner Dayne. The only WI one I can think of who has been even remotely successful for more than a brief year or so is Michael Bennett.

The NFL......where RB's who played at Wisconsin go to die. ;)

MADISON, Wis. -- Melvin Gordon is proud to be part of Wisconsin's running back pipeline, but he wants to keep the production flowing at the NFL level.

Gordon, who worked out briefly Wednesday at Wisconsin's pro day, knows the knock on Badgers backs: great in college, unexceptional in the pros. It's a topic he discussed with former teammates and fellow running backs Montee Ball and James White, who are in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12462403/melvin-gordon-aims-change-wisconsin-badgers-rbs-nfl-rep

P.S. Marion Barber III, Laurence Maroney, Thomas Tapeh, Gary Russell....and soon to be David Cobb say hello. Minnesota RB's who all seemed to have (and one who I expect to have) much longer overall and more productive NFL careers than any recent Wisconsin RB's have had, including Heisman winner Dayne. The only WI one I can think of who has been even remotely successful for more than a brief year or so is Michael Bennett.

The NFL......where RB's who played at Wisconsin go to die. ;)

I LOL'd pretty good at that last line. :clap:

Honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing though. To me it points to their their system. I'd rather have a system that makes the RB's look better than they really are than having to find a stud RB each year.

Honestly, I don't think it is a bad thing though. To me it points to their their system. I'd rather have a system that makes the RB's look better than they really are than having to find a stud RB each year.

This is a good point. Wisconsin always get a top 25 nationally ranked RB to run behind there NFL lineman. Making it in the NFL is alot about fit and falling to the right team at the right time.

Top Bottom