ACC football will stay at eight-game league schedules

supadupafly

Reaction score
ACC votes to stay at only 8 conference games similar to the $EC. Pac-12 throws a fit. Seriously though....ACC & SEC.....what a bunch of pussies! :p

That and you can't have some of the power conference playing 9 league games (Pac-12, B1G, Big 12) and the others (ACC & SEC) only playing 8. Doesn't seem fair to the Pac-12, B1G and Big 12 when it comes time to pick the 4 teams who will play for the National Championship.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2014/05/12/football-eight-8-game-conference-schedule-plan/9003625/

ACC votes to stay at only 8 conference games similar to the $EC. Pac-12 throws a fit. Seriously though....ACC & SEC.....what a bunch of pussies! :p

That and you can't have some of the power conference playing 9 league games (Pac-12, B1G, Big 12) and the others (ACC & SEC) only playing 8. Doesn't seem fair to the Pac-12, B1G and Big 12 when it comes time to pick the 4 teams who will play for the National Championship.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2014/05/12/football-eight-8-game-conference-schedule-plan/9003625/

Bunch of Pussies, or comfortable in their own skin? The B1G and P12 would seem to be looking for a way to legislate their way to prosperity. The SEC/ACC don't feel the need to "take down and exclude" the rest of college football in order for them to be successful. I guess it depends on your perspective.

Play MORE conference games. Don't worry about the sec and acc. Let them play MORE cup cake games. The PAC-12, Big Twelve and B1G should refuse to play sec and acc teams pre-season. Let those two conferences live with their pathetic ooc schedules. Hopefully, the B1G will start playing only conference games. Be BOLD. Be DIFFERENT than the sec and acc. Don't try to copy them. Go your own way B1G. Only play the acc and the sec in bowl games and in post season play off situations. Ditch all August and early September cup cake games. Let the acc and the sec be the cup cake people.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ight-8-game-conference-schedule-plan/9003625/

So instead they are talking about playing each other in Non-Conference games. :D

"Because of the eight-game league schedule, non-primary crossover rivals in the Atlantic and Coastal divisions may only play each other once in an 11-year span. This prompted discussion at the ACC spring meetings about playing other ACC teams as nonconference opponents in future seasons. Some possible future ACC "nonconference" games could pit Miami vs. Syracuse, Duke vs. NC State or Clemson Tigers vs. Virginia Cavaliers."Everything's on the table," Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said.
"I think all the coaches felt like playing each other more, if there was a model for that, we'd be open to it," NC State coach Dave Doeren said. "They are going to allow us to use that plus-one game in the conference as a nonconference game so that will be interesting to see where it goes. When we don't have to play Notre Dame, playing Duke or Virginia or somebody from the Coastal that we don't play will be a discussion we want to have...

Playing another league opponent in a "nonconference" game is allowable under the ACC's league by-laws. Any decision for "nonconference" games between ACC schools would be up to the individual institutions, ACC commissioner John Swofford said.'

Other sports, such as baseball, already play nonconference games against conference opponents."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...onference-obligations-playing-other-acc-teams

BYU scheduling problems

With all these scheduling requirements by the major conferences, evidently BYU now is having trouble scheduling games, which makes sense because they are not from the Big Five, and they are not a cupcake. I suspect BYU (an Independent) will be headed back to the Mountain West in the not too distant future. Still trying to figure why they left there in the first place; the MWC is a perfect spot for them, both in football and basketball.

With all these scheduling requirements by the major conferences, evidently BYU now is having trouble scheduling games, which makes sense because they are not from the Big Five, but they are a quality program. I suspect BYU (and Independent) will be headed back to the Mountain West in the not too distant future. Still trying to figure why they left there in the first place; the MWC is a perfect spot for them, both in football and basketball.

No kidding.

Texas - "Hot damn, there are millions of Texans and Longhorn fans around the country. Let's get our own network and make millions because just like Big Ten fans around the country did, our people will DEMAND that their TV providers put it on"

BYU - "Darn it, there are hundreds of thousands Mormons around the country. Let's get our own network and make millions because just like Big Ten fans around the country did, our people will DEMAND that their TV providers put it on"

Turns out they were both very wrong. Just ask ESPN..

Looks like not much will change. Florida State already plays Florida, Georgia plays Georgia Tech, Clemson plays South Carolina, Alabama & LSU usually schedule at least one good non-conference foe.

It's going to affect the mid to bottom dwellers more than anything. Now, Mississippi State is actually going to have to give somebody else a call outside of the Sun Belt. And it will probably end up the SEC & ACC just scheduling more games with each other. Indiana isn't going to want to schedule Kentucky since IU's going to 9 games in the B1G.

I'm cool with the Big Ten going to 9 games. I also would have been cool if there was a rule of 8 games + 1 non against a "BCS" conference. I'm excited to be going to TCU this fall and them coming here next year. I'd be cool with seeing Colorado/Oregon State/Kansas/Washington/North Carolina instead of an extra game with Rutgers, Maryland, or even a few other conference teams. But I'm not complaining that we have 9 soon.

This is what happens when conferences are too big.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start to hear a lot of griping from member schools about the size of conferences within five years.

Looks like not much will change. Florida State already plays Florida, Georgia plays Georgia Tech, Clemson plays South Carolina, Alabama & LSU usually schedule at least one good non-conference foe.

It's going to affect the mid to bottom dwellers more than anything. Now, Mississippi State is actually going to have to give somebody else a call outside of the Sun Belt. And it will probably end up the SEC & ACC just scheduling more games with each other. Indiana isn't going to want to schedule Kentucky since IU's going to 9 games in the B1G.

I'm cool with the Big Ten going to 9 games. I also would have been cool if there was a rule of 8 games + 1 non against a "BCS" conference. I'm excited to be going to TCU this fall and them coming here next year. I'd be cool with seeing Colorado/Oregon State/Kansas/Washington/North Carolina instead of an extra game with Rutgers, Maryland, or even a few other conference teams. But I'm not complaining that we have 9 soon.

It would be great if we could see 9 game B1G season + 1 "BCS" noncon opponent. The less we play directional Illinois schools (obvious Northern would actually be a good game) the better.

Top Bottom