? about transfer rumor

Sufugopherfan

Reaction score
I was at a super bowl party talking with an Iowa fan and he asked if I had heard anything about Brandon Wegher transferring up to Minnesota. I haven’t and hadn’t seen any post on here about it. He had heard Wegher thought he would have a better shot at being a featured back here with Iowa’s current running backs and Coker coming in. He did say he heard this before the bowl game, but just wondering if he was right or way out in left field? Thanks for any insight.

I'd be absolutely shocked if there was any sort of truth to this rumor.

I was at a super bowl party talking with an Iowa fan and he asked if I had heard anything about Brandon Wegher transferring up to Minnesota. I haven’t and hadn’t seen any post on here about it. He had heard Wegher thought he would have a better shot at being a featured back here with Iowa’s current running backs and Coker coming in. He did say he heard this before the bowl game, but just wondering if he was right or way out in left field? Thanks for any insight.

Brandon Wegher's father addressed a similar transfer rumor in the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader:

Wegher not coming to SDSU
Posted 2/1/2010 1:17 PM CST on argusleader.com
Contrary to rumor and speculation, freshman running back Brandon Wegher is not leaving the University of Iowa and therefore not transferring to South Dakota State. That's according to his dad, Rick, who was a standout ball carrier for the Jackrabbits in the 1980s.

"I have heard the same rumor and I'm not quite sure how it all got started, but it's not true," the elder Wegher wrote in an email Monday. "Brandon loves everything about Iowa and plans to continue and finish his college career as a Hawkeye."

The 5-foot-11, 206-pound Wegher was a prep standout at Sioux City Heelan and did receive a scholarship offer from SDSU - his first. He rushed for 641 yards and eight touchdowns as a true freshman this season, helping the Hawkeyes win the Orange Bowl.

Terry Vandrovec also posts regular updates on his Twitter page.

Wegher's a decent running back, but he's behind Robinson now and who knows where he'll sit eventually with the new kids coming in. But Wegher runs extremely hard and my guess is he'll always have a place in Iowa. Solid Big 10 running back. I'd love to have him in Minnesota, but that stands about as much a chance of happening as a meteor hitting Earth and taking us back to the Stone Age.

Why would he transfer within conference and not receive a scholarship? I know KR did, but that was back to his home school. Wegher would have multiple offers from other D1 schools that would accept his transfer and give him a scholarship.

Wegher's a decent running back, but he's behind Robinson now and who knows where he'll sit eventually with the new kids coming in. But Wegher runs extremely hard and my guess is he'll always have a place in Iowa.

Umm...let's not forget that Jewel Hampton was amazing when he spelled Shonne Green and would have gotten most of the carries without the injury. Wegher is a nice back who reads his blocks well and is fairly quick, but he lacks elite speed or power. Next season he will find himself right back where he was going into this year---3rd or 4th string. Props to him for doing a good job this year though.

Why would he transfer within conference and not receive a scholarship? I know KR did, but that was back to his home school. Wegher would have multiple offers from other D1 schools that would accept his transfer and give him a scholarship.

Not to mention that if he transfers within the conference he'd lose two years of eligibility.

Not to mention that if he transfers within the conference he'd lose two years of eligibility.

That doesnt apply to the Big Ten. I think that is only an SEC or Big 12 rule. Each confernce has its own rules regrading inter conference transfers. The Big Ten only restricts inter conference transfers from being able to go on scholarship.

That doesnt apply to the Big Ten. I think that is only an SEC or Big 12 rule. Each confernce has its own rules regrading inter conference transfers. The Big Ten only restricts inter conference transfers from being able to go on scholarship.

Really? That's weird. I was always under the assumption that it was an NCAA rule that applied to everyone. I stand corrected, and thanks for setting me straight.

What happens when someone transfers from the Big XII or SEC to the Big Ten or vice a versa? I assume that if you transfer to the Big XII you have to sit for one year, but I don't know about the SEC or Big Ten.

And if you transfer inside the Big Ten does that mean you kiss your ship goodbye forever or just that next year?

Really? That's weird. I was always under the assumption that it was an NCAA rule that applied to everyone. I stand corrected, and thanks for setting me straight.

What happens when someone transfers from the Big XII or SEC to the Big Ten or vice a versa? I assume that if you transfer to the Big XII you have to sit for one year, but I don't know about the SEC or Big Ten.

And if you transfer inside the Big Ten does that mean you kiss your ship goodbye forever or just that next year?

If going from conference to conference its just the standard 1 year off.
Transferring in the Big Ten gets you your one year, and you have to pay your own way the rest of your time in college, not just the next year. Royston and or his family paid his tuition, etc his off year, last year and this upcoming year. Meanwhile, Carfuel is on scholarship since he transferred from a non-Big Ten school.

Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Wegher did impress me in their bowl game. IIRC, the funny thing is that I was thinking... howcome Minnesota can't find a decent RB like this guy? I know the line wasn't very good last year, but on top of that I haven't really been impressed by the RBs. I hope some of the new guys can step up for Minnesota.

In the Big 10, I think you just take one year off, but don't lose a year of eligibility. What I'm not sure about is can a player who is sitting out still practice or train with the team?

That Iowa line flattens opponents and assists the backs in looking good. Whaley would've looked good at Iowa and he was 20lbs too light.

You can practice with the team and you lose a year of eligibility (or a rs).

IF by some miracle Wegher came to MN, he would have to sit out next season (that would be his RS). Then in 2011, he would be a RS-Sophomore, and he would be paying his own way to the U.

That Iowa line flattens opponents and assists the backs in looking good. Whaley would've looked good at Iowa and he was 20lbs too light.

Iowa had a terrible running game last season. In conference play, they had 1 more yard than us (same amount of carries) and 4 less rushing TD's. So if you think the MN run game was inept, the Iowa run game had to be flat out putrid.

wegher goes down easily.....hit him and boom he is down

he did not impress me at all

It's quite obvious what's going on here. Ferentz is obviously very bright. He can read the writing on the wall. Kirk realizes that the Gopher program is on the upswing. Send in a spy, gain all of Brewster's intel and ship it back to Iowa City. Nice try, Kirk, we're not falling for it.

Wegher has a chance to a be a really nice back if he can put on 15-20 pounds and not lose speed. With that said, there is 0% chance he transfers to the U of M because he'd lose a scholarship. Me might have to switch positions down there in IC and he may even transfer, but there's no way he's coming to the U.

You can practice with the team and you lose a year of eligibility (or a rs).

IF by some miracle Wegher came to MN, he would have to sit out next season (that would be his RS). Then in 2011, he would be a RS-Sophomore, and he would be paying his own way to the U.

Wait I thought you had to pay your own way the year you sat out, but then can be given a scholarship? I know this just happened with Kim Royston transferring from Wisconsin. Is Royston still paying his own way at The U, or is he back on scholarship after sitting out in 2008?

Wait I thought you had to pay your own way the year you sat out, but then can be given a scholarship? I know this just happened with Kim Royston transferring from Wisconsin. Is Royston still paying his own way at The U, or is he back on scholarship after sitting out in 2008?

That is the way some conferences handle it, while some have no scholarship restrictions, and some have 2 years, etc.

But for the Big Ten, you can never again receive a scholarship if you transfer intra-conference. So yes, Royston will be paying his own way the rest of his Gopher career. And I'm sure Chris is glad we're reminding him.:D

Top Bottom