A way-too-early look at Michigan's 2015 football schedule by Peter Putzel

Killjoy

Reaction score
Click on the link below to read this article.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/football/...arly-look-at-michigans-2015-football-schedule

I did find the comments below at the end of the article very interesting. They seemed to have gained respect for the Gophers and Jerry Kill. I think this is just a trick. If you read between the lines you can tell they believe that it won’t be very long before Michigan returns to the glory years, i.e. it is all over but the shouting. I suspect most of their fans are banking on Harbaugh to lead them to the promise land. They very well may be right but only time will tell.

Sorry, but you're wrong on Minnesota

Jerry Kill, who usually tempers enthusiasm, has said his team will be "much better" next year. Defensive line played 3 true freshmen this year, and they return many good d-backs, plus most of the o-line. QB play will be better (as shown in bowl), and Kill said the 3 tall/fast WR’s he redshirted were easily the best receivers on team. Also will have one of the most highly recruited RB’s from a year ago (sat out because of grades) and a TE to replace Williams who was expected to share time before tearing an ACL. MN has improved each of past four years, and Kill thinks next year they’ll be deeper and more talented. Plus the game is in MN.
by jsimple3 on Jan 9, 2015 | 12:13 PM reply

That's why I said it won't be a cakewalk

Minnesota is going to compete from here on out under Jerry Kill, I have no doubt about that. And, yes, Jeff Jones is going to be a very good back for the Gophers. That’s also why I said that Kill is one of the best at the "next guy up" type of team. This may come down to the team with the final possession of the ball winning the game.
Editor at Maize n Brew.
by Peter Putzel on Jan 9, 2015 | 12:30 PM up reply

Shouldn't be that competitive

Amazing how a team beats you once and the mentality of their whole fanbase changes. Minnesota’s, that is.
#FreeCarlosMartinez
by saintcloud on Jan 9, 2015 | 1:05 PM up reply

Get you while we can

We gotta be cocky when we can! Figure with the signing of Harbaugh we have about a 2-3 year window to compete. Then it’s back to winning once every 20 years.
by jsimple3 on Jan 9, 2015 | 1:21 PM up reply

It has to start somewhere, doesn't it?

I should probably recuse myself from all things Minnesota, but I don’t believe they (or Kill) get enough respect. The Gophers were handing it to Wisconsin that last week of the regular season. They lost by only 7 to Ohio State and were in that game pretty much all the way. Michigan may have been down, but I don’t think that anyone can really say that the Gophers aren’t going to be competitive.
Editor at Maize n Brew.
by Peter Putzel on Jan 9, 2015 | 1:37 PM up reply

Shouldn't be that competetive?

If you mean it shouldn’t be that competitive because the team that won by over two TD’s will be at home, where they could win by much more, then I agree!
by jsimple3 on Jan 9, 2015 | 1:57 PM up reply

With what they’ve done with MAC-level talent…. you’re right. I don’t want to face them. We might be more athletic, but I feel like the Gophers will be disciplined and methodical to a T. And that defense is looking pretty grown up.
Writer for Maize 'n' Brew.
Quality begins on the inside, and then works its way out. {Bob Moawad
by atticus.finch.712 on Jan 9, 2015 | 1:54 PM up reply

MAC level recruits

Maybe they have MAC level recruits, but not talent. Had two players drafted in top four rounds last year and expect at least that again this year, plus a number of possible low round picks. Not sure how Michigan stacks up on those numbers, but remember a player like JJ Watt was a 2 star recruit. Those recruiting rankings are often based as much on who is recruiting you. A few years ago MN was recruiting a local center and only competition were mid-level D1 schools. He attended an Alabama camp, was offered on the spot and suddenly became a 4 star "best center in the nation". Same kid.
by jsimple3 on Jan 9, 2015 | 2:01 PM up reply

And that's where Kill comes in

I’ve said it before, he may actually coach the fundamentals of the game better than anyone. He has to. Minnesota isn’t going to get 4* and 5* kids on a regular basis, so the only way for Kill to be successful with the kids he does get is to coach them to play the game fundamentally sound.
Editor at Maize n Brew.
by Peter Putzel on Jan 9, 2015 | 2:04 PM up reply

Probably second to Bill Snyder in that department

Talk about a coach always teaching great fundamentals and clean football. Neither Minnesota or K-State ever really beat themselves.
by godogs13 on Jan 9, 2015 | 9:15 PM up reply

That’s what I meant. They’ve built up guys.

by atticus.finch.712 on Jan 9, 2015 | 2:22 PM up reply

My far-away guess would be that we’re undefeated going into Michigan State. Utah and Oregon State don’t scare me that much. OSU, MSU, PSU, and Minnesota are the teams that scare me the most.
by atticus.finch.712 on Jan 9, 2015 | 1:50 PM reply

I think Oregon State is going to get killed. I’m not afraid of Utah, either, but I just have the feeling that there will be some jitters in that first game. I’m going to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb and say that Michigan won’t lose a game by more than a touchdown all season.
Editor at Maize n Brew.
by Peter Putzel on Jan 9, 2015 | 2:07 PM up reply

OSU and MSU scare me more now than when we played them. Curious to see how Dantonio’s DBs turn out next year, though.
by atticus.finch.712 on Jan 9, 2015 | 2:24 PM up reply

I'm excited

to have a real coach who I can stand behind, and a competent AD that works behind the scenes instead of in my face all the time.
That being said, there is work to do here. Culture, talent development, recruiting, and QB questions are making me less hopeful for a one year turnaround, so I am hoping for more but expecting 7-8 wins.
But I am extremely optimistic about year two and beyond, and I believe B10 titles and sustained success will be commonplace for years to come.
by michtruth on Jan 9, 2015 | 2:24 PM reply

I think Hoke Brewstered Michigan, and it will take a few recruiting classes to begin turning it into an 8-9 win team. Putzel is delusional if he really believes a coaching change turns them into B1G contenders in year 1

I'm surprised the O/U on Michigan's win total next year is 8.5. Would definitely take the under. I see 7 wins.

Completely agree with the under.

It seems strange to me that a lot of you here who put a great deal of stock in recruiting ranking would be taking the under for Michigan for the upcoming season. If you look at the average class star rankings for 2011 through 2014 seasons you might come to the conclusion that that for the 2015 season that Michigan might have the second most talented team behind Ohio State. That is because the average class recruiting rankings for 2011 through 2014 seasons are as follows:

Ohio State 5th
Michigan 16th
Nebraska 22nd
Michigan State 35th
Penn State 39th
Rutgers 40th
Maryland 41st
Wisconsin 47th
Purdue 49th
Indiana 51st
Iowa 52nd
Northwestern 55th
Illinois 57th
Minnesota 60th

If there is any correlation in Michigan's significant better average star ranking above to the level of their players' talent, they should be a force in 2015 with improved coaching. But who knows if their fate lies in their stars. In all seriousness I do believe with a new coach and a new system Michigan may surprise a lot of people this fall. It will be interesting to see what the forecasters actually predict for Michigan since they tend to go off the previous season trends.

I'm not sure how that star ranking system works well enough for me to use it as a basis for recruits. I.E. how one site has a player ranked with 4 or 5 stars, and another site has that same player a."mid" 3*.
Regardless, I do not believe Hoke recruited to Harbaughs schemes. In fact, while he brought in talent, I think he Brewstered it by changing the schemes he was recruiting for.
Because of Hoke, I believe it'll take Harbaugh a few cycles to get his "type" of players in his scheme. They very well may improve next year, but improve by 3-4 wins is a stretch.

I'm not sure how that star ranking system works well enough for me to use it as a basis for recruits. I.E. how one site has a player ranked with 4 or 5 stars, and another site has that same player a."mid" 3*.
Regardless, I do not believe Hoke recruited to Harbaughs schemes. In fact, while he brought in talent, I think he Brewstered it by changing the schemes he was recruiting for.
Because of Hoke, I believe it'll take Harbaugh a few cycles to get his "type" of players in his scheme. They very well may improve next year, but improve by 3-4 wins is a stretch.

He recruited to a traditional offense and defense. Not unlike Harbaugh.

Harbaugh could perform miracles next year and still be the 3rd best team in their division.

Harbaugh could perform miracles next year and still be the 3rd best team in their division.

You could be absolutely right. It should be very interesting to see how a new coach does with all that talent. Personally, I think he is going to surprise some people who are focused on Michigan's record under Hoak.

I think Hoke Brewstered Michigan, and it will take a few recruiting classes to begin turning it into an 8-9 win team. Putzel is delusional if he really believes a coaching change turns them into B1G contenders in year 1

Harbaugh thanked Hoke and his wife for what they left him. Hoke was stuck with a bad QB situation. Guys to young for his system and Gardner was not a good fit. They will compete year #1 if Harbaugh finds a competent QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO Harbaugh has shown he can win with pro-style offense or the pistol/read-option with Kaepernick.

Much depends on the assistant coaches and execution, and identifying real talent. Harbaugh has been very good at this up to this point. Lets admit it, most of us would be excited if he was our coach.

I'd like to think Harbaugh will fail, but his track record says otherwise. Could it be he has had unbelievable luck (pun-intended) with his QB situation at Stanford and then more "luck" unleashing the pistol/read option on an unsuspecting NFL with a under the radar talent Kaepernick?

Like others, I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump back into the NFL when the opportunity is right, Gruden-style and get that Championship ring.

Harbaugh thanked Hoke and his wife for what they left him. Hoke was stuck with a bad QB situation. Guys to young for his system and Gardner was not a good fit. They will compete year #1 if Harbaugh finds a competent QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if their QB situation will be that much better. Morris has been either mediocre or terrible every game he as played in at Michigan and the next two guys will be a RS and true freshman. A more experienced O-line will help a lot though as they were the cause of half of Gardner's turnovers.

It seems the pundits think Michigan is going to be an instant fix. We'll see.

I have no doubt that they'll be significantly better than last year. I see 8-9 wins for them depending on how they fair against us and Penn State. Could be as low as 7 if they lose both of them.

Oregon State, UNLV, BYU, @Maryland, Northwestern, Rutgers, @Indiana are all wins.

@Utah, @Minnesota, @Penn State are toss ups.

Ohio State, Michigan State are likely losses, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stole one of them since they're both at home.

Worst case I see 7 wins with 9 wins definitely being possible. They have a very easy schedule.

If this guy has them losing to BYU and Utah, then he's got another thing coming if he has them winning @Minnesota. I'll feel pretty good about that game if they have lost to both BYU and Utah by the time we play them.

Top Bottom