A scrimmage is a scrimmage, but...

TwoFans

Reaction score
Last night was probably the best first scrimmage we have seen in years, maybe ever. It had its raw spots and miscues as expected, but the sheer talent and competitiveness made it fun to watch instead of the usual "oh, well, it's just a scimmage." Players are at different places in their development, so individual impressions might be unfair at this point, but here goes:
* Mbakwe was a force, period.
* Devoe was sooo improved from last year; maybe he had his sophomore slump as a freshman.
* Justin Cobbs is strong, confident, and a natural point guard. Great addition.
* Sampson and Colton are both stronger and bigger and will be fun to watch improve each game.
* Royce was and is at the disadvantage of being compared to Mbakwe in his position. Royce is a freshman power forward competing against a mature, more-than-junior Mbakwe, but that will benefit him in practice and ultimately in games, so the best is yet to come.
* Rodney...the dunks...enough said. Just gain weight, Rodney.
* Bostick, Carter, Hoffarber, Johnson, Nolen, and Westbrook are known quantities who might not have captured our attention last night but will be solid, experienced and competitive.
Did anyone mention depth?

Excellent analysis TwoFans. I came away extremely impressed with Cobbs......and Mbakwe is simply a beast!

This team may shoot 17 percent from the free throw line and 3 point line if last night was any indication.

Trevor Mbakwe was amazing! He could be the best big man we've had since Courtney James. I can't think of anyone better since. If he isn't voted best newcomer to the Big 10 I will be surprised. He is exactly what we need.

I loved what I saw in Cobbs as well. Got there late, but somehow got great seats last night -- kept watching Cobbs' eyes as he brought the ball up the court, always looking for someone. Very impressive.

Rodney Williams is just sick. He is so athletic it is unbelievable. I really think he came to the perfect program. Tubby will mold him into an amazing basketball player. He will be an NBA player by the time he is done here. We are just going to have to be patient with him.

I thought all of the returning players looked bigger, stronger.

Overall, I am totally psyched for the season!

Carter was impressive, too

I don't know why TwoFans relegated Cater to "known quantity". He was one of the stars of the scrimmage -- second leading scorer and scrappy rebounder. He was over shadowed a bit by Mbawke's strong debut, but he's not an "also-ran". I expect much more from him this season.

2 in the NBA

Yeah, but Humphries was a terrible college player. Not stats-wise, obviously, but he killed that team. I'd take James (or Pryz) over him every time (assuming a weak coach, may be different with a real one).

It's simply astounding how a single scrimmage can energize a fan base like this. Williams to the NBA! Mbakwe the best big man in Gophers history! I LOVE IT! This is what this program needs, loyal fans that expect big things. Keep it up! Go Gophers!

Top Bottom