a Poll on the odds PJ Fleck will be couching here fall of 2021

Odds Fleck will be coaching here fall of 2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donovan

Reaction score
Personally I'm saying 90%. I'm banking on my intuition that tells me he's a midwest guy, he likes the Twin Cities, loves living in a nice house on Lake Minnetonka during the summer, likes coaching a team in the B1G West division, doesn't want to restart a rebuild again so soon, and lastly wants to see what the team he has built can do. Lastly, but importantly, hoping Heather likes living here, as well.

"Couching" means he's crashing at Donovan's place for a week or two, until he can find an apartment.

LOL, can I correct spelling in title?!

I think this came up before (not surprisingly) and no, sounds like you can't fix it in a thread title. It's okay, just roll with it and have fun.

I’m confident Coyle’s can pay Fleck what it takes to keep him here.

I’m going with 80-100%, but he’s sure as hell going to use all of this speculation as leverage.

I voted 80 - 100...and found this image for couching:

Ted2_TedJohn.jpg

I dont understand all the coaching rumors. Minnesota is big time program in the best conference. we are NOT WMU.

If PJ decides to leave after some time. it will not be based on lack money offered or anything else about this program. seems like Minnesotans are so paranoid he'll leave just because Lou Holtz left back in the 80s

In my opinion, I base this off of nothing, but I think Fleck enjoys the U/MSP and would be happy coaching here. Only thing that would drive him away is lack of fan support and if the U doesn't step up to the plate and offer something in the 6 million range.

He’ll be here. We got a good AD finally and great facilities.

Coach is here for the long run...which hopefully happens quicker than any of us imagined.

I dont understand all the coaching rumors. Minnesota is big time program in the best conference. we are NOT WMU.

If PJ decides to leave after some time. it will not be based on lack money offered or anything else about this program. seems like Minnesotans are so paranoid he'll leave just because Lou Holtz left back in the 80s

It's what many of us do as soon as something positive happens we assume something negative must be coming up right behind it. If they see Fleck's name mentioned then the assumption is 100% he is a candidate and will definitely take the job because his sole goal is to get out of town as quickly as possible.

Holtz burned us over 30 years ago but for many fans those wounds will never heal apparently.

Wow, yet another new thread about whether or not we lose our coach. How about we focus on Penn State and the current season? It's not up to us what happens with Fleck.

Couching? Are we projecting two years out whether or not PJ will be in Heather’s dog house?

Fleck already said that Minnesota was one of his short list of destinations and thats why he chose us. I'm going to be one of those whose probably nuts but am going to take him at his word. If he wants to leverage his 8-0 record and jump to a program like FSU, well good for him. I just think the MN environment of being relevant and no expectations to be in the college football playoff hunt year after year is nice. As are the people of the midwest. This program can be his as nothing has really happened here for 50 years. Jump to USC, FSU or ND and your just another name in a long line.

Doesn't matter what we think or vote, hopefully his players show him they want him to still be here by beating everyone in front of them. These are his guy's and there is much left to accomplish. I plan on being in Indy watching the Gophers play the Big 10 East Champion this December even saving vacation time at work for it. More worried about finding a good hotel room near Indy and ticket plans and group arrangements than the coaching thing.

Doesn't matter what we think or vote, hopefully his players show him they want him to still be here by beating everyone in front of them. These are his guy's and there is much left to accomplish. I plan on being in Indy watching the Gophers play the Big 10 East Champion this December even saving vacation time at work for it. More worried about finding a good hotel room near Indy and ticket plans and group arrangements than the coaching thing.

Its true that it doesn't matter what we think. I think its 60% - 79%. The chances are greater if Coyle is still the AD. If he leaves then Fleck would go. I can't control it so I don't worry about it.

I think a 100% option would have made this poll better.

Personally I think it's north of 80%, but not a sure thing. I think he was just saying what needed to be said with the dream job stuff three years ago, but if he said it today I'd be far less skeptical. The idea that helmet schools want little or nothing to do with RTB is very real, so I think it's not even 50/50 that he gets a substantially better offer (both money and situation) in the next two years. If he does, it's still more likely than not he sticks around. USC is the only destination that worries me.

I voted 40-59%

I am familiar with the surroundings of the football program.

If coach Fleck can keep his BT winning percentage somewhere ABOVE .400 and can win some border battles close to 40% or 50% of the time and can get bowl invitations an win half
the bowl games he will be welcomed by the administration and many of the fans. It would be great for him to get ten to eleven wins and a trip to Indy THIS year. However, that will also keep his name in play during the coaching hiring cycle during the holidays this year.

IF he slips below a BT winning percentage of.400 in the future, more and more of the fans who worship him today will start wanting him replaced by some bright and rising star. It is only human nature and is the way GOPHER football tends to be

Enjoy the game Saturday and beat that stinking lion from State College GOPHER. Keep the streak alive!

Quite frankly, I think he is a BT coach! Pay him and try To keep him here. COMPETE! And never let the ba$tards get you down if the going ever gets tough coach. Just push on through. This IS Big Ten Football!

Last edited:

Well, here is the question - is Fleck a "builder" or a "sustainer."

some people love the challenge of building a program, but they don't necessarily want to stick around for the long run. the real thrill is in the building process.

Other coaches relish the idea of sustaining a program over a period of years - keeping it going with sustained success.

With Fleck, there isn't a long track record to go on. We know he went through a number of different assistant coaching jobs, even jumping to the pros and back to college. When he came to Western Michigan, it was his 5th school in an 8-year period. He was at WMU four seasons, built the program up and left.

So, is he a builder or a sustainer? That will only be answered when we see what Fleck does in the next few years. Does he sign a long-term deal at MN? Or does he - in the immortal words of Glen Mason - "listen to the phone call" when other schools start inquiring?

Even if Coyle has already offered an extension, Fleck will still be able to get that at the end of the season, regardless of the dollar amount and how the team finishes the season. If he wins 3-4 more regular season games, he’ll have even more leverage. I doubt he’ll sign anything until the end of the season. He holds all of the cards. I do fear this could be a distraction for the team, unless he’s already told them in private that he’s not going anywhere. The answers he gives when asked about the subject aren’t very convincing to me. Those are non-answers.

It took 22 posts, but so worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are inferences / rumors on twitter that a deal has been signed.

Top Bottom