A Mini-Sunday Night Ramble

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I didn’t figure I could pull out a Sunday Night Ramble without actually seeing some ballgames and unfortunately I haven’t seen any action on the courts (Justin TV just likes to tease us fans overseas with ten second snippets of action before asking for money), but I have been perusing cbssportsline’s box scores and team sites all weekend long, so I’m feeling pretty good about offering some insightful opinions, but I could be wrong, I’ll let you judge that. Ohh, and if all of this is a repeat of what you’re hearing from the talking heads on ESPN my apologies, one advantage of no live college basketball is no Digger Phelps, Doug Gottlieb, Dick Vitale, et al. so life isn’t too gray necessarily. Anyway, onto an abbreviated version of the Ramble:

1. Which conference is the best in the West?

Even with the thrashing that Washington State delivered to San Diego at the finals of the Great Alaska Shootout Saturday night, the WCC is 4-3 in head-to-head matchups against the Pac 10 thus far this season, and Gonzaga hasn’t played a game against the Pac 10 yet (that changes on Wednesday night when they welcome Washington State onto campus in an intriguing matchup). In addition, the WCC can claim nine wins against major conference opponents while the Pac 10 can stake claim to only three such wins.

2. Which team has been the most disappointing before December arrives?
I’m sure there’s a faction of Gopher fans that would like to stake their claim to this title and the same may hold true tonight in Champaign and Ann Arbor. Of course, the easy answer is UCLA, who went winless at the Anaheim Classic and has lost to teams in the Horizon League, WCC, and West Coast Conference (twice). However UCLA did not welcome two McD’s All-Americans onto their squad this season and did not have a player who made many preseason first team All-American lists. Oklahoma did, yet they sit at 3-3 with losses to VCU, San Diego, and Houston. They still have some tough non-conference games ahead (Arizona, @Utah, and @Gonzaga) before stepping into conference play in the beastly Big 12. Life after Blake hasn’t been easy.

3. What’s up with DePaul and St. John’s?
I expected these two traditional powers to fight it out at the bottom of the Big East this season while preparing for life with new coaches next season. That still could happen, but each team has some nice wins to begin the season. As Selection Sunday pointed out last week, DePaul’s win at Northern Iowa raised some eyebrows and they followed that up with a tight loss to Tennessee, and wins over St. Joseph’s and Detroit. Meanwhile, after St. John’s barely scraped by Brown, they have followed that up with impressive back to back wins against Siena and Temple. It may not appear to be much, but for these beleaguered programs it’s certainly a step in a positive direction.

4. Are the mid-majors going to seize more at-large berths in the NCAA tournament this season?

It’s way too early to predict this, but teams from the WCC (Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Portland, San Diego), Missouri Valley (Missouri St., Bradley, Northern Iowa), and Colonial (VCU, William & Mary) have chalked up some nice wins already this season while new players like Tulsa (Conf. USA) and Richmond (Atlantic 10) have emerged in traditionally tough conferences. With the weakness of the Pac 10 and the unpredictability of the second tier teams in the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC, there could be room for some of these teams to push their way into the tourney come March.

5. Which player from a bad team should you try to catch on TV when you have a chance?

Arkansas seems to be in shambles with a chunk of their team currently suspended (including stud point guard Cortney Fortson) and their head coach possibly on the ropes, but they are worth tuning into just to see if Rotnei Clark goes off. He’s had two separate games this year where he’s shot 13 of 17 and 10 of 17 from 3 point range this season, is shooting 61% from distance so far, and is leading the Razorbacks with over 28 points a game (all stats before Sunday’s loss to South Alabama). Sure Arkansas has lost to South Alabama, East Tennessee State, and Morgan State this season (not to mention a thirty point blowout at the hands of Louisville), but that doesn’t mean Clark won’t put a show on for you.

6. What conference looks to be the best thus far?
It’s way early to be calling this, but I like how the Big 12 is shaping up, even with Oklahoma’s struggles. The Sooners happen to be the only team in the conference with a record at .500 and while Texas Tech, Mizzou, Colorado, and Nebraska really haven’t defeated anyone of consequence yet, teams like Kansas St., Oklahoma St, Texas A&M, and Baylor have notched some nice wins. And I haven’t even mentioned Kansas or Texas, two of my picks for the Final Four.

7. Should Ernie Kent contact his realtor?
Without question. Even though the losses to Portland and Montana (leading Washington at halftime as I type) may not be so bad by the end of the season, one gets the feeling that Kent’s tenure with Phil Knight’s alma mater is reaching its perpetually shaky end. Of course in a weak Pac-10, Oregon could always go on a run and save Kent once again, but it seems that the finale is drawing near for him.

8. Is Northwestern the 2010 college basketball version of Mark Twain?
After their weekend in Chicago, the rumors of their death following Kevin Coble’s season-ending injury seem to be premature. John Shurna faced two All-American forwards in Luke Harangody and Craig Brackins and acquitted himself nicely, averaging 24 points and 7.5 rebounds in the two wins. Supported by point guard Michael Thompson, wing Jeremy Nash, and the fun as a toothache style favored by Bill Carmody, a trip to Evanston this season once again promises to be an exercise in misery.

9. How are Minnesota preps doing around the D-1 scene?
Pretty nicely. We all are familiar with the exploits of Cole Aldrich, Jon Leuer’s developing nicely in Madison and Ryan Wittman (Cornell) and Matt Janning (Northeastern) are again leading their squads in scoring. In addition Noah Dahlman has turned into a force at Wofford, while Justin Stommes has emerged as Eastern Kentucky’s leading scorer. Unfortunately Romain Martin, a stalwart at Eastern Illinois for his first three seasons has been sidelined with a knee injury and there’s talk he’ll redshirt this season to return next year.

Pretty nicely. We all are familiar with the exploits of Cole Aldrich, Jon Leuer’s developing nicely in Madison and Ryan Wittman (Cornell) and Matt Janning (Northeastern) are again leading their squads in scoring. In addition Noah Dahlman has turned into a force at Wofford, while Justin Stommes has emerged as Eastern Kentucky’s leading scorer. Unfortunately Romain Martin, a stalwart at Eastern Illinois for his first three seasons has been sidelined with a knee injury and there’s talk he’ll redshirt this season to return next year.

I know you're overseas, but how could you miss the early-season performances by Trent Lockett at ASU? Tubby really missed out on a stud athlete, hard worker, great student and solid citizen.
With UCLA's Honeycutt out indefinitely, Lockett could be FOY in the Pac 10. He was the guy to take on Hopkins, hands down. Wittman and Janning are having nice careers, but Trent's upside potential is higher. Cole will obviously be a top-three pick in June. Dahlman might be the best undersized post in the country. Leuer and Stommes are beginning to lose their "soft" labels.

Actually, I haven't missed his impressive start to his career, but it was a slip of the mind when compiling this. One of the things I found most impressive about Lockett thus far is in their last game, the win over LSU, he played 39 minutes, the most on the team even though his stat line didn't stand out (7 points, 4 rebounds). That indicates to me that Herb Sendek really trusts Lockett and he offers a lot to his team on the defensive end of the court, quite impressive for a freshman with a handful of games to his college career.

Ethan Wragge (Creighton)

Had to have been a tough call for Tubby to choose between who to really go hard after between Lockett and Rodney Williams. Damn, if Royce doesn't get his act together Brueswicz will have been a better local target for the forward slot.

The loss of Aldrich didn't surprise me or upset me because of the state of the program at the time, it would have been a dicey decision on his part considering the recruiting choices being made in wake of the Krabbenhoft debacle. The one that really bothers me considering I think we could have had him is Leuer. He'd be our best forward and probably our best offensive option.

I just took a look at Wofford basketball website. Noah is averaging 18 pts & 6.6 RB's Per game.

Cameron Rundles is starting at Guard for Wofford. Another De La Salle boy besides Rundles is getting plenty of time as a backup guard. Jamar Diggs has made 22-25 FT's.

Isaiah Dahlman might have had a better basketball career had he gone to Wofford.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/2009/11/28/MBK_stats_11-28.pdf

Top Bottom