A lot to think about Minnesotan's

FiveStarFan

Reaction score
Nobody thought we had much of a chance in this game i.e. vegas line of 9.5 pretty big for a bowl game. It wasnt a good match-up for us. We are getting better players in here and any of you who think Brew should go is F**KING nuts! This was college football team that was ran as far athletically into the ground as you can get i.e. I want EVERYONE to go to scout.com or rivals.com and go look back 4-5 years ago under MASON at the caliber players not only who he got to commit but even who he went after. Its pathetic. 2-3 years of that bad of recruiting sets a program back years not just a year or two!

Yes we are not that good of a football team right now, but I BEG someone to please...please...give me an example of a major college football team that has gone from an average D2 team that we were...to (what everyone seems to want right now) rose bowl contenders. Things take time Minnesotan's! Look at Charlie Weis!!! top 5 recruiting classes year after year and they were lucky to even play in a bowl game this year and it was against what would have been the worst big ten team in Hawaii. As I read someone post today "Rome wasnt built in a day". Brew is still having to recruit out of the s**thole that is the metrodome. Having "the tour" is great yes, but nothing beats seeing it full and hoppin on gameday.

So for all of you who come and go as fans of Brewster/the gopher team, you can go with Bryce to Oregon!!! :mad:

I refuse to judge Brewster until he has several recruiting classes under his belt (4 minimum). Time will tell but you have to give him a chance to succeed IMO.

How highly rated was Marion Barber? Mark Settestrom? Greg Esslinger? To name a few.

You need to get them and coach them.

Minnesota needs to build a great defense, I'm glad that Brewster seems focused on trying to do that. I also think he realizes we can't throw the ball as much as we have because our defense is on the field way too much.

In the Mason era we had one year with a solid defense but, we kept them off the dield with our running game.

I generally agree Five-Star. You win with horses and Mason largely recruited ponies. He found the nugget now and then and he did land some good ones, but depth was always terrible under Mason.

I've ragged on it many times on this board, but my biggest problem with Mason is that every off-season, it looked like he picked players' positions out of a hat (except for the few top-notch guys he had). Guys were moving all the time. Did Nicholson play the same position on the O-line any of the four years he was here? You don't win constantly moving guys around. Good programs don't re-build, they re-load.

It will be interesting to see how Brewster approaches things, but my guess is that when we are beating the snot out of a non-conference opponent next year, Gray will see some QB time. How many times did we see Cupito or Abdul-Khaliq in the game well beyond the outcome being determined in our favor? It's no wonder we had two 1,000 rushers for a few seasons in a row. Although those guys were good (very good), they were shredding the second-stringers of some cruddy defenses late into the 4th quarter.

50, I really hope that Brew succeeds with recruiting more talent.

I disagree with you on our running game, we could run very well against great defenses, remember some Michigan games?

Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin

Nobody thought we had much of a chance in this game i.e. vegas line of 9.5 pretty big for a bowl game. It wasnt a good match-up for us. We are getting better players in here and any of you who think Brew should go is F**KING nuts! This was college football team that was ran as far athletically into the ground as you can get i.e. I want EVERYONE to go to scout.com or rivals.com and go look back 4-5 years ago under MASON at the caliber players not only who he got to commit but even who he went after. Its pathetic. 2-3 years of that bad of recruiting sets a program back years not just a year or two!

Yes we are not that good of a football team right now, but I BEG someone to please...please...give me an example of a major college football team that has gone from an average D2 team that we were...to (what everyone seems to want right now) rose bowl contenders. Things take time Minnesotan's! Look at Charlie Weis!!! top 5 recruiting classes year after year and they were lucky to even play in a bowl game this year and it was against what would have been the worst big ten team in Hawaii. As I read someone post today "Rome wasnt built in a day". Brew is still having to recruit out of the s**thole that is the metrodome. Having "the tour" is great yes, but nothing beats seeing it full and hoppin on gameday.

So for all of you who come and go as fans of Brewster/the gopher team, you can go with Bryce to Oregon!!! :mad:

All 3 programs were down and out in the and became Rose Bowl contenders immediately. Barnett, Tiller, and Alvarez all inherited far worse situations than Brewster.

50, I really hope that Brew succeeds with recruiting more talent.

I disagree with you on our running game, we could run very well against great defenses, remember some Michigan games?

No argument with Mason's teams' ability to run the ball. My complaint is that he always seemed to be shuffling guys around on the line year after year. Good programs just don't do that.

All 3 programs were down and out in the and became Rose Bowl contenders immediately. Barnett, Tiller, and Alvarez all inherited far worse situations than Brewster.

Purdue has had a couple 9-3 seasons and then a bunch of Mason type 6-6, 5-6, 8-5 type seasons under Tiller. Not really mind blowing right away.

Wisconsin was a combined 11-12 with a similar 1-10 first season under Alvarez

Northwestern dating back to 1996 Northwestern had a couple really good years but a bunch of average seasons and were never depleted as much as we were.

I'm just saying teams that can turn it around right away are not teams that hire new coaches after "Mason" type recruiting. Those are teams that are like Notre Dame, where the coach himself sucks but is a great recruiter

Notre Dame (Wies), South Carolina (Spurrior), Collorado (Hawkins)

All schools with great tradition and coaches that get really good classes but have had as long or longer tenure at their school and not any more success. Give Brew a chance to get a few of "his" classes mature and watch what happens. If it was up to the majority of Minnesota fans we would be rotating coaches every 2-3 years. AWESOME! I remember a ton of people on boards like this that wanted Twins coach Gardinhire fired in his early years, now year after year he is a coach of the year candidate.

If your going to give Jim Wacker 5 years and Glen Mason 10 years of an opportunity then ease up my fellow fans!! Brew has been here TWO years!!!!!

Wisconsin was 11-22 in Alverez's first three years. Northwestern was 8-24-1 in Barnett's first three years. Tiller was the only one immediately successful (at least the first two years -- he was 7-5 in year three). I guess the exception proves the rule huh, Art? :rolleyes:

Wisconsin was 11-22 in Alverez's first three years. Northwestern was 8-24-1 in Barnett's first three years. Tiller was the only one immediately successful (at least the first two years -- he was 7-5 in year three). I guess the exception proves the rule huh, Art? :rolleyes:

Amen brother!!!

Immediately? WTF are you talking about? Alvarez went to the Rose Bowl in his fourth year. NEVER contended before that. Barnett went to the Rose Bowl in his fourth year. NEVER contended before that. Tiller went to the Rose Bowl in his fourth year, had some moderate success in his first three years. Ferentz went to the Orange Bowl in his fourth year. NEVER contended before that. Do you see a pattern?

I will have to agree with the majority on this and I think Art Vandelay is way off base on this one.

The team that Brewster inherited from Mason was not nearly as good as you think it was, especially on defense. In fact, I would go as far as to say that Wacker left more good legitimate defensive players behind than Mason did and you can look it up if you don't believe me. Although the general consensus is Mason would have been able to be better than 1-11 last year, I don't think he would have been able to make it to a Bowl game and would probably have lost his job after last year's team went either 4-8 or 5-7.

I think in two years time Brewster has brought the team up to a level where the team will have significantly more talent in 2010 than it did last year.

Art, I bet you've never gotten better at anything in your life. That's the only possibility for someone who is perfect at everything immediately and expects everyone else to be the same.

Must be nice to be a god!

Purdue has had a couple 9-3 seasons and then a bunch of Mason type 6-6, 5-6, 8-5 type seasons under Tiller. Not really mind blowing right away.

Wisconsin was a combined 11-12 with a similar 1-10 first season under Alvarez

Northwestern dating back to 1996 Northwestern had a couple really good years but a bunch of average seasons and were never depleted as much as we were.

I'm just saying teams that can turn it around right away are not teams that hire new coaches after "Mason" type recruiting. Those are teams that are like Notre Dame, where the coach himself sucks but is a great recruiter

I hope brewster isn't merely a skinny Charlie Weis, great recruiter but cannot develop or coach the talent.

I hope brewster isn't merely a skinny Charlie Weis, great recruiter but cannot develop or coach the talent.

Charlie Weis isn't the great recruiter, the name Notre Dame is. Brewster has to recruit kids who have never heard of or know anything about us.

Remember too that Tiller was one of the first to run the "basketball on grass" offense, not only in the Big 10, but in the whole country. He caught a lot of teams by surprise the first couple of seasons before getting his own players. Nothing wrong with that, but it's something that needs to be remembered.

Hawkins isn't that great a recruiter either, maybe his zen doesn't work in CO, even finally benched his son who's probably the best HS QB to ever come from ID, which includes Jake the Snake.

Top Bottom