A lot of you say...

Mn foliage

Banned
Reaction score
That a college football team located in a non college town that has pro sports can't win at a high level. Is Seattle, WA a college town?

Washington has a major advantage over Minnesota. Namely one of the top 4-5 coaches in the country.

I don't think anyone said that you can't, I just think people have said that it is more difficult (it's a disadvantage).

I think some of this is true at Washington. They have had their struggles as well. They have overcome those struggles by hiring big time college coaches (and paying for them!).

Washington has a major advantage over Minnesota. Namely one of the top 4-5 coaches in the country.

Agreed. Get a great coach and they can win no matter what town they are in despite what some of the naysayers say on here.

Agreed. Get a great coach and they can win no matter what town they are in despite what some of the naysayers say on here.
Hard to name him the best while Saban and Meyer have multiple national titles, but I truly believe he would be doing the same if at one of the blue blood programs.

I give Meyer the nod as my number 1 because of his success with Utah plus national championships.
Saban and Peterson are my #2 and #3 as cosches I believe could win anywhere.

That a college football team located in a non college town that has pro sports can't win at a high level. Is Seattle, WA a college town?

Last 13 years 74-89 (.454), which includes this year's 12-1. That's 62-88 (.413) in the previous 12. Minnesota was 77-87 (.470), 68-83 (.450) before this season. So, yes, it's tough to win in a pro sports town.

Their "success" is pretty much limited to this season. They haven't been a real contender since 1997 (can't count the cheating Neuheisel years). Let's talk again in 5 years.

I don't think it's a case of the Gophers "can't win." I always understood the argument to be that the Gopher programs will find it very hard, if not impossible, to be the "top" program in town as long as they are competing against the Vikings and the other pro teams for ticket sales and media attention.

Now, maybe if the Vikes ran off a string of really bad seasons - 3-13, 2-14, etc - while the Gopher FB team was running off a string of 9, 10 or 11-win seasons, then maybe the pendulum would swing back toward the Gophers. But, as long as the Gophers are stuck in the mediocre zone, and the Vikes are at least competitive, I just don't see the Gophers becoming the top attraction in town.

As far as winning, at least in theory it still comes down to the right coach, and the right level of administrative support. After that, you would need a coach who is a top-flight recruiter to bring in the level of talent needed to make it happen. (this is not a shot at Claeys. I think Claeys can be successful at MN - but he's going to have to work a lot harder to make it happen, as compared to a "name" coach who can bring in top talent strictly on reputation and personality, regardless of the school's history.)

We aren't willing to pay for a coach.

Petersen's initial contract in 2013 paid him $3.2 million per year. In 2015, his extension bumped him up to $4.0 million.

Saying, let's go get a great coach is like saying "let's go get a great QB". We all agree it would be nice, but how?

Top Bottom