A little love for Brock Vereen

pk2

Reaction score
College Football News ranks safety prospects for the upcoming NFL draft:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1398855.html

4. Brock Vereen, Minnesota 6-0, 199 (FS)
The workout gave his stock a big boost. 25 reps on the bench, a 4.47 40 and incredible quickness in the short drills proved his athleticism. He’s not going to crush anyone with his hitting ability, but he can hit and do all the dirty work to get in on a play. A leader, he has the fire and the want-to to become the one who gets everyone going both by example and with his demeanor. A coaching staff will love him.
Projection: Third Round
His NFL Career: Instant starter and difference-making tone-setter

The workout gave his stock a big boost. 25 reps on the bench, a 4.47 40 and incredible quickness in the short drills proved his athleticism. He’s not going to crush anyone with his hitting ability, but he can hit and do all the dirty work to get in on a play. A leader, he has the fire and the want-to to become the one who gets everyone going both by example and with his demeanor. A coaching staff will love him.

That's quite a bit of love for him. Haven't seen anyone project him that high or call him an instant starter, but I hope Vereen proves them right.

Also in that article they do a preliminary ranking of the Top 2015 safety prospects. Number 1 on that list? Nate Andrews... :(

My favorite Gopher the last 2 FB seasons, hands down. Sharp kid, and great sense of humor (if you follow him on twitter, he's had some pretty funny moments). Really hope he does well in the NFL, would love love LOVE IT if my D-Lions took him, especially since they are in need of some safety help with the departure of Delmas.

My favorite Gopher the last 2 FB seasons, hands down. Sharp kid, and great sense of humor (if you follow him on twitter, he's had some pretty funny moments). Really hope he does well in the NFL, would love love LOVE IT if my D-Lions took him, especially since they are in need of some safety help with the departure of Delmas.

come on now. don't wish Detroit on any former Gopher ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Top 10 safeties in the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NFLDraft&src=hash">#NFLDraft</a> according to Scouts Inc. » <a href="http://t.co/UzyaMbxn4P">pic.twitter.com/UzyaMbxn4P</a></p>— ESPN CollegeFootball (@ESPNCFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/statuses/457023717785100288">April 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Honestly if nobody ever told me that Brock Vereen was a 1st team all big ten player or a projected mid round pick i really would think he was just another Stoudenmire or Royston. He really never ever stood out to me and it is evident with only 4 career INTs. Michael Carter I would say was a superior player to Vereen or at least stood out way more 2 years ago and i would think if anybody in our secondary would be have been drafted the last 5 years it would be him. Murray and Wells i would also say are better. Vereen just never really stood out to me at all. It would be nice to see him play on the same team as Ra'shede which if it were to happen would probably be on the patriots.

Honestly if nobody ever told me that Brock Vereen was a 1st team all big ten player or a projected mid round pick i really would think he was just another Stoudenmire or Royston. He really never ever stood out to me and it is evident with only 4 career INTs. Michael Carter I would say was a superior player to Vereen or at least stood out way more 2 years ago and i would think if anybody in our secondary would be have been drafted the last 5 years it would be him. Murray and Wells i would also say are better. Vereen just never really stood out to me at all. It would be nice to see him play on the same team as Ra'shede which if it were to happen would probably be on the patriots.

Really solid Dbacks often don't stand out and don't get the picks because they don't get thrown at.

On a personal note, our family hosted Brock for Easter dinner a few years ago (fully within NCAA rules). One of nicest and most gracious kids you will ever meet.

he also got an individual shout out form todd mcshay on espn (the main channel) yesterday. along with about a 20 second video package of him. sounded like mcshay thinks he might go in the 3rd or the early 4th round???

Brock has better measurements than Carter. Plays safety. Is a damn hard worker. And naturally safeties typically aren't going to get a bulk of interceptions when you're getting run over on the ground. corners are always going to "stand out" more just because they should, in theory, be around the ball more often than a safety who might have to lock down a TE or provide run support. Just a lot more you're asking the guy to do that you never get credit for. Not discrediting what you're saying, but there were many times I watched him on TV doing a hell of a job with his assignment that forced QBs to go elsewhere with the ball.

Wish him the best. Exciting for him

Highwayman said it well with regard to Brock's lack of picks. Brock wasn't a big-time playmaker in the backfield, but rather the steady hand that led that unit. But I'd add that if you didn't notice his support in the run game, you weren't paying attention. Extremely sure tackler, with top notch fundamentals. I can't remember an instance where he was ever called for a penalty, and big plays did not occur over the top on his watch. He's no Ed Reed, but he's smart, strong, and saavy.

NFLDraftScout at CBS' online sports has moved him up to the 3rd/4th round range.

He's a really good football player and while I'm not expert, I think he'll have a good, perhaps very good, pro career. Best suited for safety, but I could also see him as a nickel-back right out of the chute. Just a solid player.

Brock developed into the type of DB that does everything pretty well. He is a really good athlete and can be relied on to play a deep zone at S or to cover a WR at CB if needed. I think playing last year at CB and playing it much better than he did his first 2 years really impressed the NFL because 2 years ago he proved he was a solid safety in both the run and the pass game. Plus he's a high character guy that coaches won't have to worry about as he'll work hard, he'll pick up schemes and he'll communicate well.

Brock developed into the type of DB that does everything pretty well. He is a really good athlete and can be relied on to play a deep zone at S or to cover a WR at CB if needed. I think playing last year at CB and playing it much better than he did his first 2 years really impressed the NFL because 2 years ago he proved he was a solid safety in both the run and the pass game. Plus he's a high character guy that coaches won't have to worry about as he'll work hard, he'll pick up schemes and he'll communicate well.

I see his only noticeable weakness is finding the ball when he's in press coverage. Don't know if that can be coached or not. I agree with everything else you say. He's a really good football player.

I see his only noticeable weakness is finding the ball when he's in press coverage. Don't know if that can be coached or not. I agree with everything else you say. He's a really good football player.

Safeties don't play a lot of press coverage.

Safeties don't play a lot of press coverage.

Correct. But I think that is why he was moved to safety and has flourished there. That said, I think his experience at CB is a plus and would make him a candidate for immediate use in nickel and dime packages.

Plus he will be an impact special teams player. A must for the back up safety on any team.

Top Bottom