A Great Sportswriter Died Yesterday

DL65

Reaction score
Dick Gordon a longtime sportswriter for the Mpls Star and Tribune passed away on Monday at the age of 97. Early in his career, he wrote for the Pioneer Press and then covered the Gophers and the pro teams for the Star and Tribune, 1946-76. After his retirement he contributed features for the Minneapolis paper until 1982.

Those who have followed Gopher football since the 1950s and 1960s, as I have, well remember Gordon's sports writing. IMO, Gordon was a tremendous talent. During his days at the Star and Tribune, the sports department had several talented professionals, which was highly recognized by their peers in the Big 10 sports journals. Sadly, today's Gopher coverage and the talent at the paper is no where near to what it once was. Too bad today's young Gopher followers have only experienced the downside of Gopher coverage.

Dick Gordon, RIP

Go Gophers!!

I am not nearly old enough to know who Dick Gordon is, but it sounds like we need more like him about now.

Thanks for the good word, DL.

Dick Gordon a longtime sportswriter for the Mpls Star and Tribune passed away on Monday at the age of 97.

Never got to read any of Gordon's writings. But, I will note that Dick retired in 1976 at age 65. And, he's only 8 years older than Sid.

Every now and then I catch Sid on with Dave Lee in the mornings, and man, my 95 year old grandmother can form more coherent thoughts than him.

Suppose there were someone like Dick Gordon around the Strib these days, would they even have a place for him?

No

No, the Strib would not have a place for him today. He was a dispassionate professional. I recall reading his stuff as a boy in Rochester. You could not tell any biases/prejudices. He just did a good job.

Does that sound like a person qualified to work for the RedStarTrib today? For one thing, he did not write sarcastically, hence he would have no place there, or really almost anywhere today.

RIP.....

Dick Cullum, Gordon, Sid, etc and the famous Peach Section. I couldn't wait to get the Sunday paper delivered as a young lad living far away in the sticks of ND. Their coverage/pics of the Gophers games was a piece of work.

I miss The Oldtimer

Who used to post on the Old Hole. He could regale you with stories of the teams and the coverage. That ink stained saint was last known to be in California. But back to the coverage of sports in the haydays of the 50's and sixties. You got a paper that was worth 25 cents when quarters were still silver. And the Sunday paper had not only three or four stories about the game, but photographs in panorama, and a series of stop action shots detailing that game winning touchdown run. If you were a kid back then, the Peach section was like a release of PS3 or Xbox. You couldn't wait to open it. And the stories of the game, were sort of heroically writtern. The news business lost a great writer. RIP.

Hello Star Tribune?

Top Bottom