A Gopher wins Reusse's 2020 Turkey of the Year award

What is the definition of compete? Only 11 teams have made the Playoff in 6 years. That is not going to change this year unless Texas A&M or Florida gets in. That would be 28 playoff spots and only 11 or 12 teams have filled the spots over 7 years. So really everyone is in the Gophers boat especially in the Big Ten.

Compete in the B1G is absolutely possible and they have done that being 1 win from the West Title 3 times in the last 7 years. Northwestern will make the Title game for the 2nd time in 3 years. Stability is needed from Admin down through the program.

The Goal is to get to Indy a couple times every five years. That is absolutely doable. Northwestern will do it 2 out of the last 3 years.
Ah the old one win from Indy. How did that game go, it was a loss to Wisconsin. Their best chance to go to Indy was last year and they blew. They had to win 1 game against Wisconsin or Iowa and both games were non competitive.
The gophers have ended the year ranked 3 times since 1999, I would say that non competitive.
Other teams have more highs that the gopher provide year over year.

Ah the old one win from Indy. How did that game go, it was a loss to Wisconsin. Their best chance to go to Indy was last year and they blew. They had to win 1 game against Wisconsin or Iowa and both games were non competitive.
The gophers have ended the year ranked 3 times since 1999, I would say that non competitive.
Other teams have more highs that the gopher provide year over year.

Iowa game was non competitive? News to me.

What is the definition of compete? Only 11 teams have made the Playoff in 6 years. That is not going to change this year unless Texas A&M or Florida gets in. That would be 28 playoff spots and only 11 or 12 teams have filled the spots over 7 years. So really everyone is in the Gophers boat especially in the Big Ten.

Compete in the B1G is absolutely possible and they have done that being 1 win from the West Title 3 times in the last 7 years. Northwestern will make the Title game for the 2nd time in 3 years. Stability is needed from Admin down through the program.

The Goal is to get to Indy a couple times every five years. That is absolutely doable. Northwestern will do it 2 out of the last 3 years.

I agree the "Goal" for the Gopher football team should be to get to Indy a couple of times every five years. Compteting for an NCAA football title will most likely never be in the Gopher's future. The do high school and college football differently down south. It's almost like they are playing a different sport.

As for me, the only thing I really demand of my favorite football team is that they are able to "compete" with and regularly beat the Badgers and Hawkeyes. If they can do that then any championships they might win will just be icing on the cake for me. I don't need championships to enjoy going to Gopher football games (although one more would be nice before I pass onto my just reward).

Last edited:

In the real world, if you have to cut your budget - you start with the largest items on the budget - not the smallest. because that's where the most money is.

a 10% cut in the football budget would have saved much more money than the Gophers will save by eliminating multiple non-revenue sports.

that is Reusse's point.

It's an opinion.

And yes, Reusse likes messing with Gopher fans - because they always respond the same way. If Gopher fans quit taking the bait, Reusse would move to other targets. But, Gopher fans give him no reason to change.

Actually, this was one of the tamest "Turkey" columns in recent years.
In the real world, you don't cut the income generator, you cut the income wasters. Those three sports existed only because of football and basketball. Otherwise, they would have been gone 20 years ago.

Reusse, as an income waister, would not understand that.

In the real world, you don't cut the income generator, you cut the income wasters. Those three sports existed only because of football and basketball. Otherwise, they would have been gone 20 years ago.

Reusse, as an income waister, would not understand that.
100% cut the waste. It doesnt drive revenue. Time to go. Football makes all the money. Pat knows football is the moneymaker but needs to push the PJ hate so he drives home the "what about the other sports" mantra.

I'd cut about 10 UMN sports whole were at it. Total drain

Top Bottom