A few interesting stats from last season.

RodentRampage

Reaction score
In the first 5 games of last year, the Gophers had only 2 sacks, and were sacked 14 times. In the final 7 games, the Gophers had 17 sacks and were sacked only 8 times.

In the first six games of last year, the Gophers had 41 penalties. In the last six games, the Gophers had only 30 penalties.

remember that getting better each game thing kill tosses around all the time... thats what thoes stats prove... fundementals, disipline, and knowing just what your job is

It's even more surprising given that the level of competition was much higher the last 7 games. It would be a huge step forward to see the defense register
30+ sacks next year.

So if they can make that type of jump again between now and the start of next season, I think decent things are going to be in store! I'm not expecting a B1G title, but a bowl game might be a real possibility. We are losing some good folks due to graduation and we're still young and undersized, but all the people having a second year of the system under their belt will help. As that keeps getting driven in, we should continue to see improvement. I'm looking forward to next year!

I'm not expecting a B1G title, but a bowl game might be a real possibility.

I don't mean to have exceedingly high expectations, but 6 wins should be the minimum acceptable amount in my opinion next year. I think we'd have made a bowl game this year if the post-Purdue team had showed up for every game. The NMSU, NDAC, and Purdue games would have had very different outcomes. We do lose some key players from last year (Royston, Tinsley, McKnight, Bunders), but I think the increased ability, experience, and contuinity among the returning and incoming players (including a large crop of RSs) should more than offset those losses. We return a huge number of letterwinners on both sides of the ball, and a much easier schedule in 2012 (and easier still in 2013) should make bowl qualification the minimum expectation over the next 2 seasons.

I don't mean to have exceedingly high expectations, but 6 wins should be the minimum acceptable amount in my opinion next year. I think we'd have made a bowl game this year if the post-Purdue team had showed up for every game. The NMSU, NDAC, and Purdue games would have had very different outcomes. We do lose some key players from last year (Royston, Tinsley, McKnight, Bunders), but I think the increased ability, experience, and contuinity among the returning and incoming players (including a large crop of RSs) should more than offset those losses. We return a huge number of letterwinners on both sides of the ball, and a much easier schedule in 2012 (and easier still in 2013) should make bowl qualification the minimum expectation over the next 2 seasons.

Damn straight. Not to knock those four guys in particular, but experience aside, there isn't a tail-off in talent. On a talent level alone, our DL looks to be improved. On a talent level alone, our DB situation looks pretty darn good. Our OL is deep, and affords us to RS Pirsig and Hayes. WR is inexperienced, but as I've said before, the catches are still going to be there. Who ends up being the go-to guy will be clear by game 3 or 4. As much trouble as he's been so far, getting McDonald would still be huge. Running the table on the NC schedule would be huge as well, and a 3-5 B1G record is achievable.

I try to stay eternally optimistic. However, every time I read something positive about the team, I hear an echo in my head from Kill stating again and again about how this isn't a 1 or 2 year rebuilding process.

I'm still eternally optimistic, and believe a bowl season is reasonable. I'll just feel even better if the team continues to progress like they did the last half of the season, regardless of the final record.

We'd really need a lot of things to go our way for this team to improve to 6-6. All the JUCOs would have to be the real deal and we'd still be relying on a number of young players to step in and play well. Still there's always a chance and I certainly have more faith in Kill's proclamation about how good player x is over Brew's bombast. Gray will have to play like a good all season to do it.

I try to stay eternally optimistic. However, every time I read something positive about the team, I hear an echo in my head from Kill stating again and again about how this isn't a 1 or 2 year rebuilding process.

That's just Kill trying to keep expectations low. I think if you're going to take 5-6 JUCOs and you have other early enrollees, you shouldn't be asking for a 4 year grace period just to be competitive. The Gophers averaged about 6 wins/season since 2000 even in the face of purportedly inept recruiting (Mason), coaching (Brewster) and a ton of turnover in coordinators. If the fanbase is going to set a bar below 6 wins in a Kill's second year with coaches and roster intact, how can you criticize the AD Maturi for aiming toward mediocrity?

If the fanbase is going to set a bar below 6 wins in a Kill's second year with coaches and roster intact, how can you criticize the AD Maturi for aiming toward mediocrity?
Cause last time we had a big turn-around by year 2 with a lot of JuCo's, well do I really need to say it? A fast turn-around based in JuCo's does not always mean sustained success.

It doesn't always mean sustained success but I think it's a stretch to argue that the Brewster collapse had much to do with the success of a handful of JuCo guys. His problem wasn't the JuCo guys, it was his ability to keep the HS kids in school and develop them. If we have some success with Shabazz and Baltazar next season but we lose a ton of younger players to attrition, we have a problem. However, the problem is that attrition much more than it is the JuCo guys.

That's just Kill trying to keep expectations low. I think if you're going to take 5-6 JUCOs and you have other early enrollees, you shouldn't be asking for a 4 year grace period just to be competitive. The Gophers averaged about 6 wins/season since 2000 even in the face of purportedly inept recruiting (Mason), coaching (Brewster) and a ton of turnover in coordinators. If the fanbase is going to set a bar below 6 wins in a Kill's second year with coaches and roster intact, how can you criticize the AD Maturi for aiming toward mediocrity?

Kill didn't say it would take four years to be "competitive".

And refraining from breaking out the pitchforks and torches if the Gophers don't win 6 games isn't "aiming toward mediocrity".

Bowl game is the expectation and should be the minimum goal next season. But I'm not assuming that's going to happen. There will be further growing pains, I'm guessing. It's easy to just trend the team upward in every game literally, but there's probably going to be some setbacks along the way. All in all though, we should be a much more cohesive unit next season compared to this last one, and that's my main expectation. You would assume the wins will come along with it, but you never know how the ball will bounce sometimes.

Bowl game is the expectation and should be the minimum goal next season. But I'm not assuming that's going to happen. There will be further growing pains, I'm guessing. It's easy to just trend the team upward in every game literally, but there's probably going to be some setbacks along the way. All in all though, we should be a much more cohesive unit next season compared to this last one, and that's my main expectation. You would assume the wins will come along with it, but you never know how the ball will bounce sometimes.

The biggest problem is that we are still so thin. I think if we remain healthy, that is a realistic goal. If we have many injuries, we are in for another long season because we simply aren't very deep. We are deeper this season than last, but an injury to a key player would set us back a ton.

zambam said:
Cause last time we had a big turn-around by year 2 with a lot of JuCo's, well do I really need to say it? A fast turn-around based in JuCo's does not always mean sustained success.

But there was a gap left by Brewster's recruiting which has made the team thin. JUCO's are allowing him to fill in that gap and he is following that with a good freshman recruiting class from what I can see. Let's face it when you can't have a spring game because you don't have enough players somebody f@cked up!

But there was a gap left by Brewster's recruiting which has made the team thin. JUCO's are allowing him to fill in that gap and he is following that with a good freshman recruiting class from what I can see. Let's face it when you can't have a spring game because you don't have enough players somebody f@cked up!

It wasn't even as much of a gap as it was a matter of attrition. There was a gap in OL, as Brew, for whatever reason, quit recruiting OL. Everywhere else, we recruited players and they left.

17 sacks in 7 games equals around 29 in 12 games. How does 29 sacks compare to the rest of the country?

I've always interpreted Kill saying "competitive" to mean challenging for a spot in Indianapolis, not being competitive in each game.

Not trying to rip on you or your comment, just using your quote to frame my statement.

I've always interpreted Kill saying "competitive" to mean challenging for a spot in Indianapolis, not being competitive in each game.

Not trying to rip on you or your comment, just using your quote to frame my statement.

That was my understanding as well.

And refraining from breaking out the pitchforks and torches if the Gophers don't win 6 games isn't "aiming toward mediocrity".

And I didn't say to break out the pitchforks over a 5 win season. There's a difference between "expectation" and "ultimatum." And by competitive, I don't mean 5 wins and avoiding blowouts in the losses.

Also, to wit:

"It's not going to be a one-year thing. It's not going to be two years. It's not going to be three years," Kill said. http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/130949528.html

(By logical extension, that would be 4 years.)

Even more alarming is the 4 INTs we had, tied for 116th, or the 25 passes defended, tied for 106th. Of course, that's a function of the lack of sacks and pressure as well, but still...UAB had 8 sacks but they still managed 9 picks lol.

I'm by no means Buddy Ryan, but I'll put part of the blame for the bad play of the secondary on the defensive line. A quarterback is much more likely to make a mistake when he's facing some semblance of pressure. If you give a quarterback all day to throw, somebody's going to get free. A good offensive line makes everybody on the offense look better, the same goes for the defensive line. That, above all else is why I'm excited for 2012. If the Gophers DL plays anything like it did at the end of the season, 6 wins is a very attainable goal.

Actions speak louder then words, the staff bringing in 3 JUCO transfer DB's, tells you all you need to know. They feel that the defensive backfield needs to be fixed now! The DL started to come along later in the season but the with only 4 INT's, and 2 of those early in the season by Stoudermire, coverage wasn't very good. If the defensive back field is better, even if the defensive line only plays at the level they did at the end of the season, they'll be at least average. It's a team game the DB's take away the QB's first option giving time for the DL's to get to the QB.

And I didn't say to break out the pitchforks over a 5 win season. There's a difference between "expectation" and "ultimatum." And by competitive, I don't mean 5 wins and avoiding blowouts in the losses.

Also, to wit:

"It's not going to be a one-year thing. It's not going to be two years. It's not going to be three years," Kill said. http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/130949528.html

(By logical extension, that would be 4 years.)

He's not saying what you claim he is saying. He never said the Gophers won't be "competitive" for four years.

Top Bottom