A deep breath for a couple days so we can bi*ch about some other Big Ten teams

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Some interesting games around the B1G this weekend:

Purdue gets Temple at noon today (ESPNU) in the semfinals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. Matchup with Alabama/Wichita State looms in Sunday's title/3rd-place game.

Northwestern has Tulsa at 2:30 p.m. today (ESPNU) in the semifinals of the Charleston Classic. Like the Old Spice the Charleston doesn't have a stellar field, but wins over Tulsa and/or Seton Hall/Saint Joseph's in Sunday's title/3rd-place game likely would give the Wildcats a couple decent (but not great) wins.

On Saturday, Penn State plays Big Blue Nation on a neutral court. If PSU stays within 20 consider it a Nittany Lions victory.

Iowa has its first true test of the season Sunday, an intriguing matchup with Creighton.

Also Sunday, Nebraska plays traditionally solid but-not-quite-good-enough-for-the-NCAA Rhode Island.

Let's break 'em all down. Is it possible any of these teams will suck more than the Gophers?

Some interesting games around the B1G this weekend:

Purdue gets Temple at noon today (ESPNU) in the semfinals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. Matchup with Alabama/Wichita State looms in Sunday's title/3rd-place game.

Northwestern has Tulsa at 2:30 p.m. today (ESPNU) in the semifinals of the Charleston Classic. Like the Old Spice the Charleston doesn't have a stellar field, but wins over Tulsa and/or Seton Hall/Saint Joseph's in Sunday's title/3rd-place game likely would give the Wildcats a couple decent (but not great) wins.

On Saturday, Penn State plays Big Blue Nation on a neutral court. If PSU stays within 20 consider it a Nittany Lions victory.

Iowa has its first true test of the season Sunday, an intriguing matchup with Creighton.

Also Sunday, Nebraska plays traditionally solid but-not-quite-good-enough-for-the-NCAA Rhode Island.

Let's break 'em all down. Is it possible any of these teams will suck more than the Gophers?

Nice tongue in cheek final question, SS. :)

You have correctly interpreted my tone, Dr. I welcome not having to read how beyond help the Gophers are. ... at least until after Monday's game vs. Mount St. Mary's.

A bit off topic SS but where does our non conference schedule line up?

I thought Jim Jackson made an interesting point last night in that most of the teams (outside of Ohio St.) that will battle for the upper half of the B1G have one returning player that is considered a really good player, and the B1G standings could very well be determined by how other "role" players perform along-side the stud on each team. I think that may be the case this year more so than in years past. It will be interesting to watch some of these other teams this weekend and see what they bring to the table.

Wisconsin - Taylor
Michigan St. - Green
Minnesota - Mbakwe
Michigan - Hardaway, Jr.
Purdue - Hummel
Northwestern - Shurna
Illinois - Richardson/Paul (doesn't apply as well here)

That's a tough question, Blizzard. I know this isn't saying much and it won't be a popular answer here, but taking our exempt tournaments out of the equation (76, Puerto Rico, Old Spice) I think it's the best non-league schedule we've had under Tubby.

Within the Big Ten, I think it's fine. Not the best, but certainly nowhere near the worst, which has been the case under Tubby a couple times. It's not nearly as bad as is being portrayed. No, we don't have a Louisville on the schedule like we had 3 years ago, no we don't play a true road game (my biggest beef) & yes we got unlucky with the Old Spice field, but overall it's a solid slate of games. I like that, on paper (I realize "on paper" doesn't always work out), we're not playing what are likely to be a host of RPI killers like we have under Tubby in the past. Esposito/Tubby seemed to have done a better job identifying opponents who could/should have pretty good seasons. It doesn't appear we'll have many of the 250+ RPI squads that have littered previous Tubby schedules.

My thoughts before the season were that Bucknell, Fairfield, Virginia Tech, USC and likely 2 of the opponents we'll see in Orlando made for a solid foundation for the Gopher schedule, and my opinion hasn't changed after 3 games. No question the USC game has lost a lot of its luster because the Trojans lost their best player (Jio Fontan) for the season, but that's not Tubby's fault. That's simply a bad break. I'm not going to complain when we finally get 2 BCS programs on our home schedule. I hope it happens more frequently, but if it doesn't that's for another day. Probably more information than you wanted.

Probably more information than you wanted.

Actually, thank you, no it wasn't. That seems to be pretty reassuring because with the way that most of the nonconference teams are being portrayed I was wondering if we could stand to lose to any of them, which certainly wouldn't be desirable, but apparently not the end of the world either.

The fact that we don't play a true road game does make it more paramount that the Gophers not slip up. On the road there's a lot more rope, no matter who the opponent. For the record, I think odds are we'll stub our toe at The Barn sometime prior to the B1G season. With no true road games, once I think could be forgiven, twice would likely be rather harmful down the road.

If PSU keeps it with in 20 State College should party like the Nittany Lions just won the BCS national title. I honestly think the Wildcats are "push button" talented this year, just like the Packers. With the exceptions of maybe 2-3 teams(UNC, Duke, UConn, and that's about the list) the Wildcats are going to be able to just say "We had enough of toying with this team" then proceed to go on a 23-4 run over the next 3:12. I'm not as high on Kansas was other people but Kentucky was just able to toy with the the Jayhawks for large parts of the game.

If PSU keeps it with in 20 State College should party like the Nittany Lions just won the BCS national title. I honestly think the Wildcats are "push button" talented this year, just like the Packers. With the exceptions of maybe 2-3 teams(UNC, Duke, UConn, and that's about the list) the Wildcats are going to be able to just say "We had enough of toying with this team" then proceed to go on a 23-4 run over the next 3:12. I'm not as high on Kansas was other people but Kentucky was just able to toy with the the Jayhawks for large parts of the game.
and OSU

PSU will be lucky to score 20 points the entire game. After one half. down by 32 points. 6-37 shooting(16%) and 1-17(5.9%) from 3 point land. I don't think you guys have to worry about a PSU loss this year. This might be the best UK team I've ever seen in terms of shooting. They just don't miss a lot of shots from anywhere. 3 pointers, layups, dunks, free throws. This team is better than last years Final 4 team. Wow!

PSU's basketball team this year, with new coach Pat Chambers, could be called the Chambers Maids. They will be serving up wins all year long.

Not the Big 10 mind you, but #20 Cincinnati just got upset by something called Presbyterian.

Top Bottom