A date when Lockett will make a decision?

kuhlmanalex

Reaction score
I haven't been checking back here as often as usual so I apologize if I missed it, and sorry to bring an offseason topic up during the NIT run, but does anybody know a timeframe that we would know where Lockett decides to go?

I haven't been checking back here as often as usual so I apologize if I missed it, and sorry to bring an offseason topic up during the NIT run, but does anybody know a timeframe that we would know where Lockett decides to go?

Maybe after the Gophers' season is over? Just a guess.

Maybe after the Gophers' season is over? Just a guess.

He takes his academics pretty seriously, so he might want to pick a school in time to start summer classes. Then again he might want to spend the summer with his family.

He takes his academics pretty seriously, so he might want to pick a school in time to start summer classes. Then again he might want to spend the summer with his family.

Or if he is graduating, he may want to take a little break. What did you major in brah?

It is kinda peculiar there hasn't been a lot of scuttlebutt on the Lockett front. I believe it's due to the Gophers still playing. If he were planning on going to another school besides the U, then we would've heard something by now. Most other teams seasons have ended already, so no need to keep anything hush-hush. There's only 6 teams still playing in D-1 and only one of them is close to the Lockett home.

KyGopherfan said:
It is kinda peculiar there hasn't been a lot of scuttlebutt on the Lockett front. I believe it's due to the Gophers still playing. If he were planning on going to another school besides the U, then we would've heard something by now. Most other teams seasons have ended already, so no need to keep anything hush-hush. There's only 6 teams still playing in D-1 and only one of them is close to the Lockett home.

That's kind of been my thoughts as well. No idea if true, but that has crossed my mind.

Or if he is graduating, he may want to take a little break. What did you major in brah?

Here's an article about the academic side of Trent: http://www.pac-12.org/Schools/ArizonaState/Tabid/956/Article/145405/Sun-Devils-Leaning-On-Lockett.aspx

He started taking courses down at ASU before he even graduated high school and has been taking 20+ credits per semester, so that he can graduate in 3 years. In my opinion he sounds like the kind of person who would want to hit the ground running on the grad program, but again, he may want to spend the summer with his family.

Mechanical engineering.

General assumption is that he would go to Iowa State or MN. If he's waiting, it's probably to see what shakes loose with you guys. Basically, if you guys have a scholarship or academic package for him, and that will mean you need to find one for both him and Mbakwe, he'll probably be here. That's what it would look like to me. If not here, Iowa State.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=39719

Apparently Gonzaga thinks they have a chance at him (link above). I cannot see that happening at all... A few claims from the 2 page thread though:

1) He contacted Gonzaga.
2) Royce White is one of his best friends.
3) The Gophers have 1 or 2 open scholarships.
4) Some guy said his friend who runs a Gopher blog said that he is expected to go to Iowa St., Minnesota is a possibility, and don't sleep on Iowa.

General assumption is that he would go to Iowa State or MN. If he's waiting, it's probably to see what shakes loose with you guys. Basically, if you guys have a scholarship or academic package for him, and that will mean you need to find one for both him and Mbakwe, he'll probably be here. That's what it would look like to me. If not here, Iowa State.

Pretty much this. However, i heard one of the Wisconsin schools is in play as too? I dont know if it is madison, green bay or milwaukee (would think it would be madison), but I believe 1 of them is. Do I believe he picks one of them? No because Minnesota and ISU are closer.However, I do believe the badgers have 1 scholarship still available? Correct me if I am wrong, would hate to see him go to the Badgers

Don't the Cyclones now have an open scholarship with White going to the NBA? Maybe he'll just fill his buddy's scholly. I hope not though.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=39719

Apparently Gonzaga thinks they have a chance at him (link above). I cannot see that happening at all... A few claims from the 2 page thread though:

1) He contacted Gonzaga.
2) Royce White is one of his best friends.
3) The Gophers have 1 or 2 open scholarships.
4) Some guy said his friend who runs a Gopher blog said that he is expected to go to Iowa St., Minnesota is a possibility, and don't sleep on Iowa.

I can't see it either, Matt. The rationale used by a Zags poster was that Lockett could get back and forth between Minneapolis and Spokane easily because there are daily Delta flights between the two cities.

Delta's site says the flight from Spokane to MSP is between 2hrs 45min and 3 hrs. The flight from PHX to MSP is about 3 hrs 5mins.

If someone is transferring to be closer to home, what sense would it make to transfer a school that's maybe 15 mins closer to home by plane?

Wouldn't be surprised w/any destination. So many moving parts in bball.

Good point, there are a lot of moving parts that need to fit together correctly...but any destination that's not reasonably close to home (i.e. Gonzaga) would surprise a lot of people.

Badgers could definately use him to step in for the token Minnesota Resident Gopher killer role.

Lockett played summer ball with net gain and sam dower - zags connection...(but close to home, gonzaga is not)

Don't the Cyclones now have an open scholarship with White going to the NBA? Maybe he'll just fill his buddy's scholly. I hope not though.

Royce's schollie was already spoken for (Naz Long), but 2 more have opened up since RW declared (Tavon Sledge and Jordan Railey).

Lockett is still on the radar, definitely, but a big is probably of greater need. If you can bring in a talent like Lockett though, you just do.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa is in the lead (I just puked in my mouth). They will have a young back court, sans Marble, next year, and Lockett would fill the hole left open by Gatens nicely.

I thought Bo Ryan was vocally against the graduate transfer rule where the player could play right away, even though wiskey's qb Wilson was under the same rule. I don't see Trent going to the badgers.

I think Lockett's #1 factor will be distance from home. Minnesota is much closer than Iowa State. We're also going to have a better team than Iowa State next year. I can't really see Lockett going anywhere other than the U.

That being said, I hope Lockett enjoys wherever he ends up. I wish the Locketts the best.

Is there room?

At Minnesota for Lockett? I'm not terribly familiar with your roster, but I thought you only had/have 2 seniors right now, Sampson and Mbakwe, and Mbakwe just picked up his 6th year.

Don't you have 2 commits for next year already?

Did Tubby bank a schollie last year? If not, who would have to move on to make room for Lockett?

littlebirdie said:
At Minnesota for Lockett? I'm not terribly familiar with your roster, but I thought you only had/have 2 seniors right now, Sampson and Mbakwe, and Mbakwe just picked up his 6th year.

Don't you have 2 commits for next year already?

Did Tubby bank a schollie last year? If not, who would have to move on to make room for Lockett?

Tubby seems to be hoping the NCAA will give us a 14th scholly for Trevor (as long as we red shirt someone) and its the Gophers, there are plenty of transfer candidates that will give Lockett a scholarship lol

If he was granted a leave for a family medical hardship to be closer to his family.... He then wouldn't have to sit a year correct? So how close does he need to get for this to be allowed? How would they allow him to play right away if he went somewhere like Gonzaga? Anyone know if there is some rule on this?

They judge it case by case, but I would be pretty shocked if he was allowed to play immediately at a place like Gonzaga. Just wouldn't make any sense to me. Iowa State or Iowa might make sense if Minnesota doesn't have any scholarships available. If someone at Minnesota transfers though and opens up a scholarship for him it's possible that he would have trouble getting instant eligibility anywhere else. Who knows though.

If he was granted a leave for a family medical hardship to be closer to his family.... He then wouldn't have to sit a year correct? So how close does he need to get for this to be allowed? How would they allow him to play right away if he went somewhere like Gonzaga? Anyone know if there is some rule on this?

A player with a degree and remaining eligibility can transfer anywhere for graduate school (as long as they have a program not available at the original school, wink wink) and be immediately eligible.

They judge it case by case, but I would be pretty shocked if he was allowed to play immediately at a place like Gonzaga. Just wouldn't make any sense to me. Iowa State or Iowa might make sense if Minnesota doesn't have any scholarships available. If someone at Minnesota transfers though and opens up a scholarship for him it's possible that he would have trouble getting instant eligibility anywhere else. Who knows though.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. If we're granted a 14th scholly or if we can give him some sort of generous academic financial-aid, I'm not sure why he wouldn't come to Minnesota. Iowa State is about 4 hours away from the Twin Cities and Iowa is about 5. I'm not sure why the NCAA would even grant him a hardship waiver to one of the Iowa schools if we can make room for him at Minnesota. The hardship waiver lets him visit with his mother and family, and going to the U would make his family more accessible by far compared to Iowa/Iowa State.

I think we'd have to have two players transfer to take on Lockett (assuming he didn't walk on). Tubby is going to try to convince the NCAA to give him a waiver so we can have 14 scholarship players, since Trevor was granted a 6th year. Assuming that happens, I can't imagine the NCAA allows us to keep that waiver if someone like Mav transfers out and we try to give Mav's scholarship to Lockett. The NCAA would likely say that we can use Mav's scholarship for Trevor because then we wouldn't have to have a special waiver.

Seeing as Tubby expects everyone back, I don't see TWO players transferring, which means it seems unlikely Lockett ends up here (unless it is as a walk on).

The U only costs a couple of bucks if you're paying out of pocket anyway, right?

I'd consider that Lockett has looked to be a guy that would leave ASU after this year for a looong time. Hope he has a good final year of playing wherever he goes..

Top Bottom