A Coronavirus Vaccine Won’t Work if People Don’t Take It

Go4Broke

Reaction score
According to recent polls, half to three-quarters of Americans intend to get the vaccine if one becomes available — woefully short of what we’ll need to protect our communities.

If a vaccine against coronavirus becomes available to the public, 49% say they plan to get vaccinated, and 20% say they will not. Another 31% are not sure. A 2019 survey conducted for the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases found a similar number, 52%, planned to get vaccinated against the flu that season.

1594298700355.png

The anti-vaccine movement was once linked primarily to wealthy white parents. Nowadays these views are expressed both by liberal parents, who align with “natural” health and parenting identities, and conservative parents, who emphasize their distrust of government and the importance of individual liberty.

Race matters, too: For some families of color, the sordid history of unethical experimentation on vulnerable communities makes them reluctant to vaccinate.

1594298786387.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Ope3

Reaction score
I would have thought "not sure" would be the predominant response.
How far are we into this pandemic?
What is the percentage of effectiveness?
How long will it last?
Are there side effects?

diehard

Reaction score
Broken, I have immunity. I donate my dose to you. You are at high risk. Take all you can find.

bga1

Reaction score
I would have thought "not sure" would be the predominant response.
How far are we into this pandemic?
What is the percentage of effectiveness?
How long will it last?
Are there side effects?
I think that there is a lot of doubt because Fauci, the CDC and the medical community has shown that so little is known and there is so much political stuff involved. Don't wear a mask, do wear a mask. It can be aerosol transmitted, it can't be, and then it can be again. Hydroxychloroquine, might work, doesn't work, is dangerous, isn't dangerous, works well if given early. Flatten the curve for the hospitals, no..... now flatten the curve for the infections. It has a super high mortality rate, no maybe it doesn't. Worry about the deaths. No... worry about the infections that's what matters. Asymptomatic people don't pass it...much. No, they pass it a lot, well we aren't sure. Protesters can't get it....

Until the CDC and medical community produces better evidence that they know what they are doing, the vaccine is going to be a tough sell. The flu, which is much easier to develop a vaccine for is about a 50/50 proposition. How much risk is an older person going to take for those odds?

John Galt

Reaction score
It normally takes 10 years to get a vaccine developed. I wouldn’t touch one that gets approved in 9 months.

For anyone under 60 that is healthy, odds are your long-term health will be better actually getting the virus than taking the vaccine.

howeda7

Reaction score
It normally takes 10 years to get a vaccine developed. I wouldn’t touch one that gets approved in 9 months.

For anyone under 60 that is healthy, odds are your long-term health will be better actually getting the virus than taking the vaccine.
I wouldn't go that far, but I won't be the first in line for it either until the side effects are better understood.

forever a gopher

Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far, but I won't be the first in line for it either until the side effects are better understood.
Agreed. I'm (relatively) young and healthy, so I'm not in some major rush to be taking vaccines with little trial on a rushed schedule. If you're 65+, I could see people being much more willing to roll the dice on taking the vaccine.

John Galt

Reaction score
The short-term side effects will be understood early on and will be dwarfed in severity to the potential long-term chronic effects on internal organs.

justthefacts

Reaction score
The good news is that the vaccine will be announced very, very soon

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
Let's be real, this is exactly what will happen:

Of that 31% undecided, 25% of them will wait just long enough after everyone else gets the vaccine to emotionally feel safer about getting it, but not actually scientifically any more sure of it's efficacy: we're talking like 60-90 days max.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score

Latest claim is that they may have production samples of a vaccine by December or January. Also, the vaccine (depending on which one, there are 200 in development) may make you more immune than actually having the disease by virtue of making more antibodies.

For those that agree to take one, the bigger question might be, which one?

Spoofin

Reaction score
If there is even 1 side-effect, I will blame Trump for that.

justthefacts

Reaction score

y7GoCax.png

----

1GGMSAn.png

----

gdyZ0sW.png

-----

hOpohDk.png

MennoSota

Reaction score
The title of this thread takes home the "No Sh!t Sherlock Award."

Livingat45north

Reaction score
What are the odds of catching COVID if you don't take the vaccine, versus the odds of the vaccine actually working to keep you from catching COVID?

justthefacts

Reaction score
This is going to put a lot of Trumpkins in a really bind as to their faith in their conspiracies vs their faith in Trump

John Galt

Reaction score
This is going to put a lot of Trumpkins in a really bind as to their faith in their conspiracies vs their faith in Trump

Conservatives are comfortable letting people decide what they want to put into their bodies. We have no issue with those who take it, or with those who don’t. Why do you want to control others?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Conservatives are comfortable letting people decide what they want to put into their bodies. We have no issue with those who take it, or with those who don’t. Why do you want to control others?
I agree. But there should also be strong advocacy from the most powerful people in our country to influence normal people and also the sycophants. I commend Pence for leading the way. If only the leadership when it all began - and really the entire way through - had been there.

Top Bottom