A Conversation That I Had Yesterday (Christmas) Morning . . .

DL65

Reaction score
after church with the associate head coach/receivers coach, Jeff Conway, at Sam Houston State University who is visiting family members during the Christmas break was very interesting, especially his perception of coach Kill and his staff. Without any prompting via a question, Conway began speaking favorably of the Minnesota coaching team. He said they'll "get it done at Minnesota;" the inference I got from him was that the Kill and his coaching staff are "straight shooters" (direct quote from Conway) and that their longevity as a coaching team will pay big dividends. In short, he holds them in high esteem.

Altough we've heard and read similar comments in the past, it's something else to hear it first-hand from a member of the coaching fraternity, especially since I hadn't even brought up coach Kill's name or the current coaching staff. Knowing coach Conway and his family, as I do, his comments were genuine and from a person that is authentic.

I've known coach Conway for several decades (since his high school playing days in the late 1970s). He played his college ball at Northwest Missouri State University. He's had a few college coaching stops since his college playing days ended, including as head coach at Blinn Junior College at Brenhan, Texas. In hopes of having him considered as an assistant at Minnesota, and without his knowledge at the time, I passed his name onto to Jim Wacker and then Glen Mason, but their respective staffs were full when I referred him to the two mentors.

Sam Houston State University will face NDSU on Saturday, January 7 in the FCS Title Game.

Additional information: Conway said their offensive coordinator, Bob DeBesse, is moving over to the University of New Mexico and will be joining Bob Davies staff. DeBesse was the offensive coordinator during the Wacker years at Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Neat! Thanks for posting. Missed your notes from Sid/Kill - yea, I know, Christmas carols pre-empted...

DL...that is a good report on what some people outside of the Experts on GopherHole say and think. Thanks for sharing.

Another gift...

Thanks for the note DL.

The hook was set on the value of Coach Conway's comments when you noted what his team's next game is. Well done.

This nugget, plus the Gophers-related gifts from Mrs. Billd (including 3 vintage UM vs. Iowa gameday magazines), has rounded off this half of the holiday season nicely.

Go Gophers! In Kill I Trust!

Thanks for the note DL.

The hook was set on the value of Coach Conway's comments when you noted what his team's next game is. Well done.

This nugget, plus the Gophers-related gifts from Mrs. Billd (including 3 vintage UM vs. Iowa gameday magazines), has rounded off this half of the holiday season nicely.

Go Gophers! In Kill I Trust!
bob DeBesse was a terrific coach. If Wacker had a Dc half as talented he would have had an longer career.

bob DeBesse was a terrific coach. If Wacker had a Dc half as talented he would have had an longer career.

Also, DeBesse gave Tony Levine his first coaching opportunity in college football in 1997.

Top Bottom