A contest with pride as the only reward for winning: quirky connection between 3 historic Gopher victories

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Three HUGE historic Gopher wins:

April 12, 2003 - Gopher Hockey wins National Championship

March 30, 2004 - Gopher Women’s Basketball shocks #1 seed Duke and advances to Final Four

November 9, 2019 - Gopher Football steps onto the national stage and defeats fellow-unbeaten Penn State in front of a packed TCF Bank Stadium

What did all three victories had in common? There may technically be more than one correct answer to this but since it is my thread I am choosing exactly what the one ultra-correct answer is.

I’ll stop by later to confirm or declare the answer. The winner will be the first person to respond correctly and will earn a virtual high five and a written congratulations.

Well, all three opponents (New Hampshire, Duke, and Penn St) do have shades of blue as primary colors.

Doubt that’s it.

All three games the Gophers were the underdogs with the same amount of points.

All three games the Gophers were the underdogs with the same amount of points.
Were the Gophers underdogs in the 2003 NCAA hockey championship? I don’t recall. All guesses so far may be correct, but the grand prize is still out there to be won.

Were the Gophers underdogs in the 2003 NCAA hockey championship? I don’t recall. All guesses so far may be correct, but the grand prize is still out there to be won.
I don't think they were, and they certainly weren't 5+ point underdogs!

I am sure the gophers were favored. That team was stacked.

Tanisha Gilbert; Thomas Vanek; Tanner Morgan—I know, lame answer...you’re not looking for illiteration...

Three HUGE historic Gopher wins:

April 12, 2003 - Gopher Hockey wins National Championship

March 30, 2004 - Gopher Women’s Basketball shocks #1 seed Duke and advances to Final Four

November 9, 2019 - Gopher Football steps onto the national stage and defeats fellow-unbeaten Penn State in front of a packed TCF Bank Stadium

What did all three victories had in common? There may technically be more than one correct answer to this but since it is my thread I am choosing exactly what the one ultra-correct answer is.

I’ll stop by later to confirm or declare the answer. The winner will be the first person to respond correctly and will earn a virtual high five and a written congratulations.
The moon was in the waxing gibbous phase for all 3.

The moon was in the waxing gibbous phase for all 3.
Don't forget the moon was also in the 7th House...and Jupiter aligned with Mars...for all three events.

Pretty special auras those days. The Billds' aura was maroon and gold of course...

Don't forget the moon was also in the 7th House...and Jupiter aligned with Mars...for all three events.

Pretty special auras those days. The Billds' aura was maroon and gold of course...
I used to hear that song when I had to go around to collect for my paper route. So the answer must be: all events were written about in the local newspaper.

Okay... big clue #1. All three have a person NOT connected to Gopher sports in common.

Can be connected. So the announcer.
Person who sang the national anthem?
Edit: For some reason didn't think they could be connected.

Last edited:

Yep!!!! Sean McDonough was the play by play announcer for all three games. THAT is the winning answer! Spermophilus wins a virtual high five, a Blockbuster Video coupon, respect, and an IBM typewriter that has to be picked up in person in Muscatine Iowa.

It’s hard to believe that McDonough was behind the mic for all three of those incredibly diverse yet huge Gopher victories. I’m not sure if I subconsciously love his calls because he called all three games but one way or another he has become my favorite play by play guy.

Yep!!!! Sean McDonough was the play by play announcer for all three games. THAT is the winning answer! Spermophilus wins a virtual high five, a Blockbuster Video coupon, respect, and an IBM typewriter that has to be picked up in person in Muscatine Iowa.

It’s hard to believe that McDonough was behind the mic for all three of those incredibly diverse yet huge Gopher victories. I’m not sure if I subconsciously love his calls because he called all three games but one way or another he has become my favorite play by play guy.
Awesome! I’ll be happy to pick up the typewriter for spermy next time I go visit my friends at Musco in Muscatine.

Well, clearly we need to expect greatness during future waxing gibbous phase moons, or any time Sean McDonough calls a Gopher game.

Top Bottom